Scx News

gazza

• 2 weeks later...

Going to have to have the de Walt Aero8 obviously. And the SCX Anniversary Mini will make a nice running mate to the Scaley Anniversary Mini when both are released.

The Senna pack would be nice to have, but it'd be shelved not a runner for me. Nice memorial to a great driver.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Bright, isn't it? Not exactly the prettiest livery ever seen on an Aston Martin, but it's nice to see something a bit different. It looks better on the car than the Gulf livery. Sorry to all you Gulf fans.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Still don't think they are worth $55.00

Phil,

I know you have been around a bit. You will no doubt recall the days of higher prices for less quality models when fewer manufacturers were in the market. You will also recall days when the market was awash with cheap product, most notably Target dumping SCX cars (as Matchbox) for $20 down to $7.50, and a more settled market or recent times around the $40 mark. SCX is not alone in raising its prices - all manufacturers appear to have done so to different degrees. Production quality continues to improve, and we are graced with too many choices. At the same time, design and manufacturing costs have fallen through software design, automation of manufacturing and outsourcing labour.

If we consider that a model railway carriage, without motor and with less assembly effort costs upwards of $80, it is a fair claim that slot cars as a hobby is a better value for money proposition than model railways. May be the equivalence bar is well out of order!

But this says nothing of where the ideal (read: balanced realism between design, manufacturing, distribution, retailing, consumer) price lies. We all want things to be cheaper, but then we need to be realistic in our expectations.

Where do we collectively think the price point of SCX, and other competitive brands, should be? How would this price point benefit the development and growth of the hobby to offset P&L issues across the supply chain?

Regards,

CasualSlot

(an over active mind this evening)

Well. I then say, what of Scalextric, which is the market leader by numbers alone.

The majority of people, in the real world without the benefit of slotty knowledge, are expected to pay $60 - $70 baseline for a Scalextric model. They are, at least, readily available through the local toy shops, and people happily pay the price. At my local toyshop (remember I'm rural and therefore can't just pop over to the next suburb to check what they have on offer) the baseline price is $70, with V8's and new releases costing $75-79.

For those of us who shop online and have therefore discovered some of the variations on the slot car theme that are actually available, $75 equates to an MB Slot Zonda (thankyou Mobile Raceway) or add a further $4 and its a Ninco.

Now I've heard you all complaining about the handling on Carrera models, but I've not heard you bitching (sorry mods) about the price. At $69 online price no one has had a whinge about the price of these models. So, what's the deal?

SCX cars are at least available through the larger Toyworlds, so the average punter gets the opporunity to learn that there are other makes of slot car available. Their price is reasonable when compared to a Scaley. AND they make a decent rally car, which everyone admits, Scaley do not. Add to that, they offer some models that others do not. For example, they were the first to offer a Morgan (ok Slot Classics had 2 but if you can find one for sale and can afford the EUR 200 plus price tag....). Carrera have now jumped on the bandwagon with the AeroMax and a Plus 8, specifically for the Company's Centenary, but many of the car officianados have admitted that the Aero 8 has been a giant killer on the race track.

It all equates to offering the punter choice. And I'm happy to buy SCX. And will continue to do so.

Cheers

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Well. I then say, what of Scalextric, which is the market leader by numbers alone.

The majority of people, in the real world without the benefit of slotty knowledge, are expected to pay $60 - $70 baseline for a Scalextric model. They are, at least, readily available through the local toy shops, and people happily pay the price. At my local toyshop (remember I'm rural and therefore can't just pop over to the next suburb to check what they have on offer) the baseline price is $70, with V8's and new releases costing $75-79.

For those of us who shop online and have therefore discovered some of the variations on the slot car theme that are actually available, $75 equates to an MB Slot Zonda (thankyou Mobile Raceway) or add a further $4 and its a Ninco.

Now I've heard you all complaining about the handling on Carrera models, but I've not heard you bitching (sorry mods) about the price. At $69 online price no one has had a whinge about the price of these models. So, what's the deal?

SCX cars are at least available through the larger Toyworlds, so the average punter gets the opporunity to learn that there are other makes of slot car available. Their price is reasonable when compared to a Scaley. AND they make a decent rally car, which everyone admits, Scaley do not. Add to that, they offer some models that others do not. For example, they were the first to offer a Morgan (ok Slot Classics had 2 but if you can find one for sale and can afford the EUR 200 plus price tag....). Carrera have now jumped on the bandwagon with the AeroMax and a Plus 8, specifically for the Company's Centenary, but many of the car officianados have admitted that the Aero 8 has been a giant killer on the race track.

It all equates to offering the punter choice. And I'm happy to buy SCX. And will continue to do so.

Cheers

Embs

cid_000d01c857e5e203db500100000aviv.gif

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Cheers

Embs

cid_000d01c857e5e203db500100000aviv.gif

SNIVELER

but rightly so

Thankyou sirs.

Will step down off soap box now before I get a blood nose from the altitude.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Speaking of the overpriced, noisy and slow (apart from that they're okay-ish) SCXs, I rang a colourful slot car identity yesterday to order a Morgan, got into an argument right off the bat and ended up slamming the phone down. Funny that... I'm the one with the money, he's the one trying to make a living...

Needless to say, he's lost yet another customer.

Cheers,

Charles

"all I want for my birthdy is another birthdy" Ian Dury...bless 'im.

Speaking of the overpriced, noisy and slow (apart from that they're okay-ish) SCXs, I rang a colourful slot car identity yesterday to order a Morgan, got into an argument right off the bat and ended up slamming the phone down. Funny that... I'm the one with the money, he's the one trying to make a living...

Ok. I don't have a lot of them to go by, but the couple I have a stealth beasties. But that's probably because they're inline rather than sidewinder or 4WD. Actually, the only thing quieter than the SCXs is the Scaley Gullwing, and it's not as quiet as it once was. Even the MB Slot Zonda makes a racket in comparison.

As far as your shopping goes, T'bird is always on the top of my list. Chris has never been anything but extremely helpful and an absolute gem. Plus he's got the original Morgan on special and are expecting the deWalt within the week. Must do something about grabbing a second of the factory Aero 8 because the original is, shall we say, just a little the worse for wear. Perhaps it wasn't the best choice for a 'learner' car for His Lordship, but nothing but a Moggie would do.

Will see how the Carrera AeroMax compares in a few days.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Ok. I don't have a lot of them to go by, but the couple I have a stealth beasties. But that's probably because they're inline rather than sidewinder or 4WD. Actually, the only thing quieter than the SCXs is the Scaley Gullwing, and it's not as quiet as it once was. Even the MB Slot Zonda makes a racket in comparison.

As far as your shopping goes, T'bird is always on the top of my list. Chris has never been anything but extremely helpful and an absolute gem. Plus he's got the original Morgan on special and are expecting the deWalt within the week. Must do something about grabbing a second of the factory Aero 8 because the original is, shall we say, just a little the worse for wear. Perhaps it wasn't the best choice for a 'learner' car for His Lordship, but nothing but a Moggie would do.

Orright Embs...

I'm up for an Aero Morgan, 'nuf said.

Thing is, do I pay a dickhead more than he advertises online or do I wait and pay the price the silly new distributor thinks he can get? (Read: Is SCX finnished in Oz?)

Erm...

Carrera's different... I love 'em to bits but they always fall over...

Cheers,

Charles

"all I want for my birthdy is another birthdy" Ian Dury...bless 'im.

Orright Embs...

I'm up for an Aero Morgan, 'nuf said.

Thing is, do I pay a dickhead more than he advertises online or do I wait and pay the price the silly new distributor thinks he can get? (Read: Is SCX finnished in Oz?)

Erm...

Carrera's different... I love 'em to bits but they always fall over...

I have heard from a somewhat reliable source if we hold off buying for a couple of months the price will drop to a more affordable price so don't rush in yet.They are well overpriced at the moment as the quality has not improved to justify the increase, they are of a lesser quality then last year when most of the models had the B spec motor , they put a slower motor (obviously trying to get rid of unwanted stock)and expect us to cough up an extra 20%. Let them keep them til they have to discount them to get rid of them. You will notice a few retailers discounting last years stock down to as little as cost price well that's what will happen to the stock they can't get rid of now and they will pass on their sentiments to the new distributor.

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

Hmmmm. We were promised, by a reliable source and a groundswell of numbers, the 42B on all GT and Nascars released from the 2009 catalogue. The one I have on order is, not surprisingly, the deWalt Aero8, which is a re-livery of a 2008 release, but is supposed to have the 42B motor (as the original Aero8 was supposed to have) Other than the motor muckup I don't see how any rehash of last year's model can be worse quality. But, I guess I will find out one way or the other when it actually arrives.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

• Vinno unpinned this topic