Ember

Club Track For Young'uns In Country Town

one thing that has surprised me is that girls enjoy it as much as the boys. and they are usually better at it.

You shouldn't sound so surprised when you say that :)

I'd love for this to be a commercial venture, because, again, I can see so much potential for it to grow. But alas, as we don't have any capital available to sink into it (limos are only just paying for themselves at the moment... Damned "Global Financial Crisis" has everyone running scared without need). I figure on an essentially NFP basis, there is the chance of govt funding.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

As far as the mag vs non-mag thing, I'm inclined to agree with WaytoFast.

Remember we're not talking about kids who have been raised around slot cars. If they have had anything to do with slot cars before it's most likely been AFX. 1:32 racing is a whole different ball game, I can attest to that. I really think magnabraid would have to be the go, at least for the corners, and I assume leading in and out. I know it adds to the expense, but... Even without the magnet benefits I'd figure braid was a requirement for the durability side of things. I recognise that not all kids will initially have respect for equipment or even for what we're trying to do. But, given a chance...

Once they've had a bit of experience, some will probably want to try sans-mag. But I can see a lot of kids being very frustrated if you just throw 'em in head first non-mag.

We want to give them a chance to get hooked on scale racing motor sport. Recognise also that for some the training wheels will never come off. That's cool too. Different strokes for different folks.

And thanks for the ideas and discussion. And please, keep it all flowing. I'd rather deal with information overload now, than have to deal with mass hindsight 'shoulda-dones' later (given that they will happen anyway). It took a couple of weeks of consideration before I decided to wade in and post this. It wasn't for fear of being shot down in flames either, more fear of disappointing you guys if we can't get this off the ground.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

non mag and taped and of course, analog only, variable power supply

magnets will only insure the cars crash at higher speed. If a kid is learning, thats where the variable supply comes in.

Our car breakage went down drastically when we went to wood. Braid life goes WAY up on wood. My five year old drives way better on wood than he did on plastic with magnets. apparently that loss of feel or allowing the car to tell me what I was doing wrong was affecting his driving on plastic too.

Copper tape is too cheap and too easy. If you limit it to RTR 1/32nd cars, it should last a long time. Braid could always be installed later if you thought it was necessary..

Lay out a track with visibility and marshalling in mind. Dont try to replicate a real race track, that rarely works. Sell track signage around your track to local businesses or for their donations.

12mm MDF is more than adequate, it's all how you support it.

Is there already a community center in your town or a boys and girls club ? partnering with a organization like that might help.

Do you have a local newspaper ? Time to do a story and start lighting those fires, err, maybe wrong choice of words there, building some interest, there, that is better.

Recruit all the slot car guys in Oz to perfect your layout and then arrive at your location for a massive trackbuild. now, there is a idea for you. :)

j

hi embs

most of the comments given here are personal opinions.

you have to make commercial decisions that will work.

the old saying. "think with your brain and not with your heart"

your idea of opening a shop is great. and done right will thrive.

all this talk of non magnet, copper tape, landscaping, mobile track is rubbish. that comment may offend those contributors, but in a commercial sense its just that, rubbish.

in the short time i have been open, all they want to do is have fun from the get go.

they want to go as fast as possible and with magnets they can. but as i mentioned b4 viariable power control is a must.

for hire cars i use the hard body scaleys with extra magnets. they are fast and dont break. when the kids dont own the car, they dont care.

different kettle of fish when they race their own cars.

at least with magnabraid, if they want to run, or progress to non magnet they can, but the option remains for magnets.

i dont cater for slot clubs as such, after all, they have a choice of several home tracks within their town or city.

sure they come in and buy cars and bits and pieces, but thats not where your main income will be derived.

it will come from organised shop events, eg. general track hire, race days/nights, father/son team events, birthday parties etc.

you will also find that a club will form within the shop for weekly race nights.

just some of my thoughts, and i ask future contributors to help ember with commercial decisions, not ad to the confusion.

steve

Recruit all the slot car guys in Oz to perfect your layout and then arrive at your location for a massive trackbuild. now, there is a idea for you. :)

Johnny, do I feel a barn raising coming on? :P

Thanks for the input from one who's done it Steve.

The plan at the moment for a first is simple tried and tested layout (eg kingleman), if scenery included at all it would be broad brush sweep, ie. green grass, bit of undulation beneath it. Just enough to suggest race track than toy cars.

While I'd love it to be a commercial concern, seeing as I/we don't have capital to sink into it I figured not for profit club idea would help get some funding to get the ball rolling.

I agree whole heartedly with the magnet racing. Non-mag can run on mag course, but it can't go the other way. Therefore for it to be available at all it must be available from the get go.

My concern on the commercial side of things is that there was a commercial track in Warrnambool (about an hour from here, larger population base by lots) once, but it disappeared for whatever reason. Aircraft 2 might be able to answer the why.

Even on a commercial basis, a few of the suggestions seem fine for secondary tracks. But the primary one has to be simple enough that it can be driven easily but still hold a challenge so that folks return. Slap 'em in the face to wake 'em up and get 'em hooked so they come back.

I don't think you need to worry about them confusing me too much. First track has definitely gotta be based on the KISS method.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

One thing Embs. Since you want to run magnets, definitely use magna-braid. Even if you went non-mag, use braid. Tape will always be lifting in the corners so you will be constantly re-taping them. When you get it done, let us know and we'll see if we can get a road trip going for opening day to show the locals how it's all done with work shops on tuning and driving tips.

Stu

Old racers race harder

Hmmm. Invasion of the Slotters. Is the town ready for it? Would it ever be ready for it? An event to rival Sheepvention. It'd be absolutely wonderful, but I wouldn't hold you to it.

Magnet or not, I had determined from reading as many of the home track threads that for a robust base braid was the go. But I really think it has to be magnabraid to allow magnet racing for all the reasons that WaytoFast mentioned. It might be my limited experience of teens, but a large proportion of those I've dealt with have been of the sort if it don't work first time... quit.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

hi embs

all this talk of non magnet, copper tape, landscaping, mobile track is rubbish. that comment may offend those contributors, but in a commercial sense its just that, rubbish.

steve

Sorry I tried to help out. I didnt think it was a commercial operation :)

Edited by aussieslotter

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

All input is welcome guys. All. Novice I am. But I like to think I'm fairly realistic about things too. Yes, your're right, I did open things up as a think tank on purpose. All opinions/ideas are welcome and valid and will be taken into consideration. And may be dismissed. But they are requested.

Again, I am coming at this from an NFP angle. But after some discussion with His Lordship, I don't think he is now. However, again comes in the funding issue.

On the routing side of things. I don't have/haven't done any myself. However.... I have a few interesting and hopefully useful contacts. A couple of large cabinet making firms and, more hopefully, a fellow with a digital 3D router.

On the low cost side of things, if donations are not achieving what is desired, I'm not beyond a bit of barter. It's worked favourably for me in the past. Yeah, ok, magnabraid probably isn't available through the barter system, but other things are. And what I loose on the swings I can make up on the roundabouts.

So... Having said that. Anyone need any design work done? :) 'Salright. Not up to that stage yet, but there are always resources available.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Uh oh, easy for me to volunteer everyone, sitting smack in the middle of Yank country.

This site has such a great bunch of folks, I am sure the sawdust will fly when you wave the green flag.

I want to see Oz some day, but I dont think the pocketbook agrees with me just yet.

My recomendations of tape, etc. were based upon a non commercial operation and a small budget. As much as I love slot cars, there are only a small handful of succesful commercial operations in the states. those are in very large cities. It's a pretty daunting business model.

Is there a public building/venue with a eye towards and space for other things, library, computer work stations, ping pong, students study area, movie night, location for all types of civic gatherings ?

I say that because I have seen posts from other countries where their local community makes some provision if they have the space and you produce enough people that may be interested.

One man in our little town had a vision of a miniature baseball park that would be identical to Wrigley field in Chicago. He did it, campaigned, raised money and supply donations, secured donated labor, negotiated with the city to get space in one of our parks. today we have what is known as "Little Cubs Field". The thing is beautiful, including the ivy up the brick walls taken from the real Wrigley field. Many Chicago Cubs players including Ron Santo have been out here numerous times for events. Several times I have talked to people from chicago or from other states and they know of our little town because of Little Cubs Field. Pretty cool.

I dont really give a hoot about baseball, I simply illustrate what the dream of one person can produce.

So, will it be called "Ember Raceway park" ???

:)

best of luck.

j

Embs, just wondering if there is a model boat club at the lake? If there is, it might be worth talking to them as well for some local help.

Stu

Old racers race harder

My recomendations of tape, etc. were based upon a non commercial operation and a small budget.

My thoughts too. :)

Hey but if Embs can wing it for free routing and buy magnabraid then how lucky are those kids?

Edited by aussieslotter

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

I want to see Oz some day, but I dont think the pocketbook agrees with me just yet.

But Johnny, anything is possible with Mastercard. Right? ;)

Embs, just wondering if there is a model boat club at the lake? If there is, it might be worth talking to them as well for some local help.

Nope. Don't have a model boat club here. Kind of surprised actually. Only model railway guys here. And, I've met some of them and can I say some of them scare me? :)

My recomendations of tape, etc. were based upon a non commercial operation and a small budget.

My thoughts too. :huh:

Hey but if Embs can wing it for free routing and buy magnabraid then how lucky are those kids?

As I've said, I can't see this area being big enough to support a commercial venture, so NFP is the way to go. I'm seriously keeping my fingers crossed on the routing side of things. 'Cos that's one of the few powertools I don't have ready access to. However, we do have a fair sized wood workers group in town and d'oh "The Men's Shed," a bunch of mostly retired blokes who still like playing with power tools. Now there's a bunch of fellows I reckon I'll be able to rely on to participate. It'll only take someone standing over them cracking a whip to keep them going forward rather than getting side tracked on tea and biscuits. I should be able to manage that and them... And before you ask, no black leather involved.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Bugger again just when I thought I might head down there and sign up at the shed

;) Yup. Thought I'd better qualify that. But for you I could make an exception. :)

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Nope. Don't have a model boat club here. Kind of surprised actually. Only model railway guys here. And, I've met some of them and can I say some of them scare me? :o

now I like model railroads and have a good collection of engines and rolling stock across four scales, but I know what you are talking about...I went to a club meeting once and I was talking and watching some trains when nearly everyone rushed outside - what's going on I wondered - somewhat aloud - we are going to watch the 8.10pm freight train roll by and see what wagons it was hauling am I alone it finding that a little odd? I could understand if it was a special train but it goes by every night at 8.10pm

cheers

DM

I've met some of them and can I say some of them scare me? :o

now I like model railroads and have a good collection of engines and rolling stock across four scales, but I know what you are talking about...I went to a club meeting once and I was talking and watching some trains when nearly everyone rushed outside - what's going on I wondered - somewhat aloud - we are going to watch the 8.10pm freight train roll by and see what wagons it was hauling am I alone it finding that a little odd? I could understand if it was a special train but it goes by every night at 8.10pm

:o :haha: :haha: I can relate to that. My uncle and grandfather were both railways folk.

No, actually worse than that. There's one guy in particular that I have a problem with, I guess. I made the mistake of mentioning that my family (and even my ex-husband) were railway stock and I've had trouble getting away from him anytime he sees me. Went to see their setup on invitation of one of the other guys (who drives for me occasionally). I got bailed up in the corner by this fellow, even though His Lordship was with me, and could not get away. And he's one of those people that encroaches on personal space when he talks to you. And he's not just a train spotter, he's an absolute train freak, so I got quizzed about all the classes of engine my uncle used to drive (not that I'd know). And, here's the big surprise, he's 50 years old and lives with his mother.

Save me.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg