Trotty's New Track

30 replies to this topic

#21 knoath

Formula 3 Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

Nice finish there trotty!!! Looking good mate!
Cheers,
Dick

SCMR build thread
Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

#22 trotty88

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:42 PM

Had a pretty busy week since my last posts.
All lanes are now wired, and operational. The pink (outer) lane was finished yesterday, and is certainly a lot quicker than I first thought. The other 2 lanes have seen a few hundred laps each already.
I have done away with the 3mm stereo jack, and gone for the alligator clips, as I managed to break a couple of the connector tabs during install.
I have some bits and pieces arriving midweek for the timing side of things, so hopefully that is all operational by next week, also another couple of cars hopefully arriving tomorrow.
Started on a bit of the scenery, but have mostly been running laps. The trees are a test run, and I have only put them in the foam to let them dry. They are out of the way, so they can stay there for now.
I had a mate over yesterday, so we gave it a good workout, but up until now, I have been using either the 3yr old daughter, or the wife as test drivers. The wife resisted at first, then finally one time I asked if she wanted a go she said yes. 1/2 hr later I still couldn't get her off it, and she even began pointing out each cars strengths and weaknesses. She has put her order in for a "pink car", but I am yet to find one, so if anyone knows of something off the shelf please let me know, otherwise the yellow Porsche is getting a paintjob.

All in all, I am happy with the results so far. I have managed to keep the build a secret from a few people who I know will be amazed at the final result, so I am keen to get some sort of final product as quickly as possible.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#23 Cyph

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

I have to ask, how do your cars go on the outside lane where you're running pretty close to the wall? Looks like you'd get a bit of contact there against the wall?

Other than that, looks pretty nice!

#24 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:56 PM

That looks very well made Trotty, and nice to drive.

You LUCKY LUCKY MAN. you so lucky lucky. - My wife doesn't even acknowledge the existance of the track as she walks through the garage............. never put a controller in her hand, even when half a houseful of family are here for "events"

Easiest thing to get her would be the Slot.it pink "Blauplunkt" Porsche

If you can't find one in a shop, raid Davnic74's place. I think he has every Slot.it ever made.......
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#25 trotty88

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

View PostCyph, on Jun 3 2009, 04:25 PM, said:

I have to ask, how do your cars go on the outside lane where you're running pretty close to the wall? Looks like you'd get a bit of contact there against the wall?

Other than that, looks pretty nice!

Thanks guys.
Cyph - At the moment there is contact with a few corners in the outside lane if you give it a squirt in the wrong place. The 'fencing' was only a temporary band aid when I got the first lane running. I placed a few of those strips where I thought I would need them, and am yet to do anything else with them. I have some spare MDF to add to those areas around the track, but for now the contact is minimal, and those strips flex a bit.
I figured I would allow the outside lane some corner rubbing as it will be the longest lane. Once I get the timing setup, I can compare some times and worry about it then.

Just been running laps today, I did put another fence in this morning also.

#26 trotty88

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

Been quiet with the build the last few weeks. Had a small incident with a 4 wheeler a few weeks back, and managed to fracture my tibial plateau (knee socket), so officiall I am on crutches for the next month or so. Makes working on the track hard (but not impossible!)
Got all the plaster work done, and most of the rock work. Some more ground scatter to go down yet, as I have been experimenting with making my own (geez that stuff is expensive!), nothing promising yet, and looking at it, I probably only need to spend another $20 or so on the stuff, so I might just bite the bullet.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#27 3ofus

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:57 PM

the ground cover is looking very good indeed ;) :(
winning is so over-rated

#28 BMR

wheres the tape measure ?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

View Post3ofus, on Jun 26 2009, 12:57 AM, said:

the ground cover is looking very good indeed B) :P
The track is looking great Trotty is 3ofus quizzing you on the greenery ?
Got any up dates for you track build dave ?

#29 trotty88

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

The lighter green stuff is bought stuff, the darker green is the stuff I had a go at making. It is actually finely chopped sponge soaked in a diluted green paint. Not totally happy with the result, and I think foam would have worked a lot better, altho as usual, when you want some of the stuff, you can never find any.
The shrubbery looking stuff is also store bought, but I dont think I will need any more of that.
Just experimenting really, like I say, finding cheaper alternatives to $6 bags of the stuff.
All the timing gear is sitting here, just got to get it installed, which will be priority 1 this weekend.
You can tell from the pics, the cars will hit the 'cliff' thru that left hander. Not much I could do about it, except warn racers. The way I (am forced) to look at it is, you can tail slap the wall there, but you can also hold it flat through other sections and launch the cars into oblivion. Comes down to driver decision really. Just have to keep an eye on the little ones when they come.

#30 foggy

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

Trotty any new update photos??
Cheers,
Foggy
SCX Digital.............The way to go!!

#31 trotty88

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

Sorry guys, been a while since I checked in round these parts.

The track is pretty much as complete as I am gonna get it I think.
The only additions since the last pics, are a PC for the lap timing (ended up using the all in one units from Jaycar), and some tire rubber laid down.

Unfortunately the track doesnt get used nearly as much as it should, and I have somewhat lost interest in it. I think it was one of those things I had more fun building than actually using. I seem to spend more time on maintainence and getting it going every time I do fire it up.

Lack of people to race against also got me out of the habit of using it too, and all in all I think I will be putting it on the market pretty soon to fund another project I have in the pipeline.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users