My Scx Proxy Rally Entry: Seat 131 Abarth

10 replies to this topic

#1 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:50 PM

Well my first ever entry into a proxy race is complete & just about to be wrapped in bubble wrap & posted off to Europe!

I liked the look of the Seat 131 Abarth so I purchased one.

I got it home & stripped it down...

Posted Image

I wanted to do a custom paint job to give it a unique flavor so I rubbed the body down & taped it up...

Posted Image

Painted the interior & added detail like dash, navigators notes, aussie decals etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

It handled pretty good out of the box but I chopped the mount posts down a touch & added some weight to make it handle a touch better. The putty is non-toxic "Deep Soft Weight" it's like heavy blu-tac that you can buy from tackle shops, I normally use it in fly fishing to sink flys...

Posted Image

Put it all back together & did the sponsors logos. I tried to do the design in the theme of classic rally during the paint & sticker process & I'm pretty happy that I've achieved this...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've run the front tyres right down so they are just running on the deck & I've just run the rear tyres in abit to take the edge off them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now it's off for a trip round the world, can't wait as I'm keen to see what I can learn in my first proxt race...

I've showed you mine now who else has got pics of thier cars they are sending off? :)

Edited by silver rocket, 07 May 2009 - 07:58 PM.

I Miss Brocky...

#2 rick1776

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

Solder the motor tabs to the brass rails. Makes for better contact and longevity. Also gets rid of axle tramp that can affect some SCX cars.
cheers
rick1776

#3 Ontheflipside

IQ test result - Negative :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:21 PM

View Postsilver rocket, on May 7 2009, 07:50 PM, said:

Looking great. I have the same car but will not have time to repaint so other than original but with the Oz Flag and a boxing roo it will be as is

Whats with the front tyres (bit wide for Class 2)? Have you gone for SCX slicks on the rear or just ground them down?

View Postrick1776, on May 7 2009, 08:50 PM, said:

Also gets rid of axle tramp that can affect some SCX cars.

Posted Image
I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

#4 BigDog

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:37 AM

Well silver rocket,

It seems you ended up with a very good looking car! Loved the colour choice! Hope you do well in Europe - as a first time proxy race entrant myself (CPR - Canadian Proxy Race), I know the excitement of having a car in that type of a challenge... ;)

Cheers! :huh2:
BigDog

#5 356speedster

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:25 AM

The car looks great, I love the interior details.

The front tires looks wide, but any SCX tires are allowed to be used as long as they are not sticking out more than 1 mm outside the fenders. But in the pic they seem very rounded off on the outer edge so they won't offer any help to stabilize the car any more than the stock tires anyway.

The only concern I have with them is how much they have been sanded down, when looking at my 131 with stock tires it wouldn't take much sanding to transfer most of the weight over to the guide. I know there is no specific rule about tire diameter, but the intention for Class 1 and 2 is to try and keep the cars close to "box stock". Could you please measure the diameter in the center of the front and rear tires and either post it here or send me a PM so I can compare it to my RTR car. They probably just look a bit low from the side since they are rounded off a bit much, so I'll probably allow it, but it's better to settle this now than after you ship it out.

BTW: Did you install the lightening system in the body after the re-paint? it's required to be in place in class 1 & 2, but it can be disconnected.

BigDog: These cars are not only going to race in Europe, but also USA, Canada and Australia :huh2:
You can check out the track schedule here: http://scx.proxyraci...?channel=tracks and it's not to late to enter a car, still almost a month until ship out date (1st June), and even if you don't make the ship out date you will only receive a minor points penalty as long as the car arrive here in Norway before 6th July.

Proxy details here: http://www.auslot.co...?showtopic=8858 and here: http://scx.proxyracing.com

Tore Andre
"the organizer"
Posted Image

#6 rick1776

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

View PostOntheflipside, on May 7 2009, 10:21 PM, said:

View Postsilver rocket, on May 7 2009, 07:50 PM, said:

Looking great. I have the same car but will not have time to repaint so other than original but with the Oz Flag and a boxing roo it will be as is

Whats with the front tyres (bit wide for Class 2)? Have you gone for SCX slicks on the rear or just ground them down?

View Postrick1776, on May 7 2009, 08:50 PM, said:

Also gets rid of axle tramp that can affect some SCX cars.

Posted Image

Err exactly what I said Flip. Solder the springy motor tabs that make contact witht he brass rails. You still get pod movement but its a little more controlled. You want the rocking motion but you dont what the vertical slop which tends to promote axle tramping punching out of corners.
cheers
rick1776

#7 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

To answer a few questions, the front tyres are SCX off my scx subaru, I used them for a few reasons, one they are a touch wider than standards & therefore they handle a touch better when turning. Becasue of the flared guards on this car they run well inside the guards, so I'm pretty sure it's legal. I also used them casue they are well worn & got advice that havin the front tyres low enough so that they just roll on the deck in a straight line is the way to go. Less drag resistance i guess & the car doenst shudder under brakes changing direction like it did with fat new tyres...

Torre I measured the diameter of the tyres & it's 17mm on the rear & 16mm on the front. The rear tyres haven't really done that much work, I've run the car in & they have doen about 3 hours max on a wood track, I'll be sending a spare set of rear tyres (the original ones off the front) with the car anyway in case the rears run out.

And yeah I put everything back together including the lights and they all work fine, I'll take a pic when I can. I glued everything back in with Selleys water based white glue in case it ever needs to come apart...

Edited by silver rocket, 08 May 2009 - 10:35 PM.

I Miss Brocky...

#8 gazza

2003 World hide and seek champion

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,254 posts
  • Location:Sitting in front of the computer, how else could i be typing this

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

Team Oz is ready, and will be in the post soon

Posted Image
Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

Posted Image

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

#9 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

Green & gold, nice work gazza!

Torre I'm ready to post my car so if you could let me know if my car is legal or if I need to change the tyres asap that would be sweet so I can get it in the mail in the next few days..

I Miss Brocky...

#10 356speedster

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:16 AM

Sorry for the late reply.

I've checked the car, and I will allow a 1 mm difference (but it's at the limit). So ship the car out as it is.

As for the Team Oz cars, I see you trust in plastic wheels Gary ;)

...just kidding, great job on turning down the stock wheels as inserts.

:)
Tore Andre
Posted Image

#11 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:22 AM

No worries thanks Torre, it's in todays mail....
I Miss Brocky...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users