Sign in to follow this  
Stevo41

Diamond Ring

So after months of sitting in the garage in pieces (my track, not me) I have finally started to re-furbish the Diamond Ring track. It's a 12mm mdf track in 3 pieces, measuring approx 10.4 mtrs, 2 lanes in a space of 1.55m x 2.77m. I have sanded the track back and re-primed. Then painted using some grey primer spray cans.

I am trying to resist hurrying through the project for 2 main reasons. 1. I think trying to do too much in too little time was behind the problems I had when the track was 'finished' last time around and 2. Hopefully we will be on the move soon so no need to have it finished until the new house is ready. So I can take my time and apply the lessons learned from last time.

The track will again run copper tape. Should I leave the tape until the track is assembled and run it in a continuous strip or tape each of the 3 pieces seperately. I am thinking seperate so I can connect power to the track in a couple of spots without drilling holes in the track surface. It would also allow me to pull the track apart if needed without needing to re-join the breaks in the tape. Would having the surface of the tape touching between track pieces cause a noticibale power drop.

Pics soon........

Steve

So after months of sitting in the garage in pieces (my track, not me) I have finally started to re-furbish the Diamond Ring track. It's a 12mm mdf track in 3 pieces, measuring approx 10.4 mtrs, 2 lanes in a space of 1.55m x 2.77m. I have sanded the track back and re-primed. Then painted using some grey primer spray cans.

I am trying to resist hurrying through the project for 2 main reasons. 1. I think trying to do too much in too little time was behind the problems I had when the track was 'finished' last time around and 2. Hopefully we will be on the move soon so no need to have it finished until the new house is ready. So I can take my time and apply the lessons learned from last time.

The track will again run copper tape. Should I leave the tape until the track is assembled and run it in a continuous strip or tape each of the 3 pieces seperately. I am thinking seperate so I can connect power to the track in a couple of spots without drilling holes in the track surface. It would also allow me to pull the track apart if needed without needing to re-join the breaks in the tape. Would having the surface of the tape touching between track pieces cause a noticibale power drop.

Pics soon........

Steve

I taped each of my segments separately and am installing power taps to each section. All my wiring is then done under the table and everything looks really neat

Hi Jono,

Got any pics?

Steve

Sure do. Though the wiring is still a work in progress I have a few that should help

188.jpg

Two tables joined together

03272009203.jpg

A look at the ends of a couple of segments

03272009204.jpg

Underneath.

Its starting to look very messy under my table, but then I go have 11 segments that need power taps installed so there is wire everywhere. In hindsight I would have wired the connectors to the copper foil last rather than first as a few have torn the copper foil when I have been installing the wire

i did the same with my track, hot glue or silicone the wires/copper tape down so there's no chance or the wires getting caugh and pull off the copper tape!!

With some guidance from Jono's pics (thanks mate) I set about re-taping the track segments over the weekend. After a day of faffing about with paint, I got 1 piece taped up and have smoothed out the inevitable bumps in the corners with the trusty teaspoon. I'll do the same to the remaining 2 pieces this week before starting work on the new table. Once the pieces are all ready I'll be keen to get them off the garage floor asap. I managed only 1 tape break for this piece which is a vast improvement on my last (first) try.

track1v.jpg

w968.png

track2v.jpg

w614.png

Cheers,

Steve

Good to see it back on the go Steve, have you moved into the new house ?

Hi mate, not in the new one yet. We have just signed contracts with a new builder and are waiting on the finance stuff and council approval so we can get a start date.

The remaining 2 pieces have been finished and timber purchased to build the table. It will be an open table (unlike last time) and will have a small workbench space at one end. I mean small as in 155cm across and 30cm deep. Big enough to work on a car or two, but too small for other projects that may be on the go.

I'll get another pic with the table mocked up on the floor with the track roughly in position once the wood all gets cut to length.

Does anyone have any pics of risers they have used to join their track to an open style table? Any ideas would be great as that is the next stage that has me a bit un-sure.

Thanks for looking,

Steve

You sound like a man on a mission Steve.

Check through Johno's thread as I'm sure he documented the risers for his track.

Best of luck with the new house build, I don't need to tell you that whatever the size of the garage, it's too small by 50%!!!! :lol::lol:

Cheers,

Dick

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"