Whos The Next Slotcar Manufacturer Thats About To Hit The Gfc Brick Wall?

rick1776

Fly has gone?? Maybe they can rise like the phoenix and be reborn in China with IP being held in Spain??

OK word has it that another big slot manufacturer is looking very shakey at the moment, apparently its not Scaly. I hope its not SCX as Im in with a chance of winning a prize in the rookie section of the proxy.

Any idea anyone? The value of Flys must be going through the roof on ebay. They should truely become very rare very soon.

cheers

rick1776

Fly is not gone. Just signed joint deal with Artin in Nurnberg when I was there. Artin would have looked at books. This was less than 8 weeks ago. Artin is a Korean company. Commonsense would tell you they are setting up shop in Korea.

And the other one? Any rumour without a company name is just dribble. Slow news day?

Edited by aussieslotter

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Fly has gone?? Maybe they can rise like the phoenix and be reborn in China with IP being held in Spain??

OK word has it that another big slot manufacturer is looking very shakey at the moment, apparently its not Scaly. I hope its not SCX as Im in with a chance of winning a prize in the rookie section of the proxy.

Any idea anyone? The value of Flys must be going through the roof on ebay. They should truely become very rare very soon.

Its funny how in the current financial situation so many new makers have been appearing on the market, and the older brands producing more models. The market has to stop somewhere, as the hobby hasnt grown as fast as the manufactor's producing the models. Hence why Fly and others have lost sales. Maybe Fly havent gone under. They could be getting produced at Artin's factory! I can only hope as I was looking forward to the Williams FWO7B and the other grand prix cars (fingers crossed here).

Not sure if the prices for all Fly will sky rocket, just look at MGV prices. There still cheaper to buy now, then when MGV were first released. Fly flooded the market with the same models and liveries for years, they just changed the name of the collection or race track. There will be a few Fly cars worth bigger dollars, but it will only be a very small percentage of what was released.

Scalextric,slot.it & NSR would have to be the strongest in the slot car market at the moment with their current sales form.

My two cents

Cleveland

I

Resized to 83% (was 1006 x 146) - Click image to enlarge

Scalextric,slot.it & NSR would have to be the strongest in the slot car market at the moment with their current sales form.

My two cents

Cleveland

I

Cleveland I am not entirely sure you're on the money with the NSR comment. Other than the Porsche 917's none of which are sold here in Queensland, what other cars do NSR sell that people are interested in and actually buy? Sure the far too limited runs of the 917's all sold but with such limited numbers produced then that was always going to be the case and certainly doesn't put them in the the ball park for numbers of cars sold by manufacturers such as Scalextric, Ninco, Fly or SCX, nationally or internationally.

I hope Fly can trade out of this hole, whether it means going to China or Korea. They are my favourite manufacturer by a country mile, even with all their inherent problems. I tell a lie, Racer are my favourite but that's another story. But against the other main stream guys Fly is my fave. I would love to get my hands on a NSR Porsche 917 but so far have not done so. The rest of the NSR stable leave me cold. Clio's or Meganes (who cares which) and Moslers (wow, once again who cares). I just don't see them as a major player at this time.

Perro

I hope Fly cars remain in production - I didn't think I owned a lot of Fly cars until I did a quick count...

If they are taken over by Artin - I have a suggestion an easy way to make a few $$ would be by re-releasing all the past no longer available liveries - for 917k,GT40, etc etc (those are just the ones I want :)) because people want them - and when a Fly car sells on eBay for $200 Fly don't make a penny out of that deal... so why not re-release them - and make a few bob..

cheers

DM

Tend to agree with Cleveland, that Slot.It, NSR and Scaly are probably ok - they seem to know there target market and from the outside seem to address it well and you tend not to see car's being marked down (ok, a few Scaly's are, but they are on a different scale production and range wise). I'd probably add Carerra into that category too.

I would hope Racer are ok, although they have launched two new lines - but I think they have been well received and seem to be selling, I certainly hope that's the case.

I also want to see Fly survive so the classic F1's reach us.

Will have to keep an eye out for the news, and hope it's just gossip I guess - hate to see any go under, but dare say some are bound to struggle.

I would think the guys hurting, similar to Fly, would be those who have large market expectations, as opposed to the niche players - so that would be SCX and Ninco...

Cleveland I am not entirely sure you're on the money with the NSR comment. Other than the Porsche 917's none of which are sold here in Queensland, what other cars do NSR sell that people are interested in and actually buy?

Youre joking right? Well I guess it is a full moon tonight.

.....and certainly doesn't put them in the the ball park for numbers of cars sold by manufacturers such as Scalextric, Ninco, Fly or SCX, nationally or internationally

Thank god for that.

I hope Fly can trade out of this hole, whether it means going to China or Korea.

You might even see consistancy in quality......

and Moslers (wow, once again who cares)

Only the fastest slot car in Europe 3 years in a row, yer who cares. :)

I just don't see them as a major player at this time.

Perro

They never will be, thats not their aim, their aim is to fufill a tiny neiche market for European championships which they acheived second year out. And their policy is speed first, looks second, and they will never manufacture cars outside Italy.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Slotcar manufacturers going broke !! A year from now nobody will be making slot cars !!

OMG looks like all you young lads are gonna have to learn how to scratchbuild or take up knitting for a hobby :):P

A little revolution is a good thing ,old business makes way for new business , someone else will buy the molds and start making them again , Slotcars will be here as long as Xmas is still around , don't fear little Johnny the makers have been re running Ford GT40s and Porsche 917s for years and years so someone will always clone a new batch.

As far as the rare models that only have a limited number made , yes they will go up in value but they will also end up as shelf queens in a collectors glory box along with the Star Wars figures , Phantom comic books and Coca Cola yoyos , never to be used again .

Do you race them or just polish them ? ;)

Tryng to figure out if or who is likely to be in trouble is just a guess as what is popular in some markets is maybe not popular in others. I have never bought a carrera or a revell and can not see the need that i ever will but they are probably popular with some people. I am a racer not a modeller and someone thinking NSR just isnt all that special seems preposterous to me but that is how that person sees it in his market. Just as an aside NSR like slot it before them derive a whole lot of their income through the sale of peripherals like wheels tyres motors etc and there would be a lot more margin in parts than complete cars so i think the business model is fine. Also we have no idea of which companies have what level of overhead so a small company with a small overhead may well be able to ride a downturn better.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Cleveland I am not entirely sure you're on the money with the NSR comment. Other than the Porsche 917's none of which are sold here in Queensland, what other cars do NSR sell that people are interested in and actually buy?

Youre joking right? Well I guess it is a full moon tonight.

WTF does that mean? As far as me joking? Nope not at all. I haven't seen a NSR on the track other than 2 Moslers and the owners of those cars couldn't wait to move them on. Too fast for home tracks and nothing else to run against them. So what's the point of buying these cars such as the Moslers? To run against other Moslers? Must be fascinating racing. I just can't see NSR being big sellers for most slot racers in Australia until there range broadens a lot more.

.....and certainly doesn't put them in the the ball park for numbers of cars sold by manufacturers such as Scalextric, Ninco, Fly or SCX, nationally or internationally

Thank god for that.

Why? We are talking strongest in the market weren't we and just because a boutique manufacturer sells most of his very limited run of cars does not make them the strongest. Using that ideology then Cartrix would have to be considered a strong contender.

I hope Fly can trade out of this hole, whether it means going to China or Korea.

You might even see consistancy in quality......

and Moslers (wow, once again who cares)

Only the fastest slot car in Europe 3 years in a row, yer who cares. :)

Fastest at what? Large championship tracks driven and supported by factory teams? A real tell tale indeed. That's like saying the cars run at Bathurst each year are the same as the common run of the mill Falcon and Commodore. My point was the NSR 917's are selling very well all over the world however, you can't possibly say the same for the rest of their range. You're joking right?

I might buy a NSR Porsche one day but I also like to see the car in the flesh before I fork out $120+ (at best) for it. It's part of the enjoyment for me. The tactile feel slot cars have rather than a video game. But if NSR are so strong why isn't a single car sold in Queensland. Most of the pro NSR comments are coming from Sydney where the retailers have them in stock and the market has exposure to the cars but to say that they are one of the strongest manufacturers in the market is the real joke.

I just don't see them as a major player at this time.

Perro

They never will be, thats not their aim, their aim is to fufill a tiny neiche market for European championships which they acheived second year out. And their policy is speed first, looks second, and they will never manufacture cars outside Italy.

Never is a long time. Scalextric/Hornby will never be made outside the UK! SCX a long time traditional Spanish manufacturer now in China. Ninco in China? Not 100% sure. Slot-it from Italy to China? NSR never hey?

Tryng to figure out if or who is likely to be in trouble is just a guess as what is popular in some markets is maybe not popular in others. I have never bought a carrera or a revell and can not see the need that i ever will but they are probably popular with some people. I am a racer not a modeller and someone thinking NSR just isnt all that special seems preposterous to me but that is how that person sees it in his market. Just as an aside NSR like slot it before them derive a whole lot of their income through the sale of peripherals like wheels tyres motors etc and there would be a lot more margin in parts than complete cars so i think the business model is fine. Also we have no idea of which companies have what level of overhead so a small company with a small overhead may well be able to ride a downturn better.

Good thinking there 99. Plus I can assure you its not NSR as they have big plans for '09-'10.

Never is a long time. Scalextric/Hornby will never be made outside the UK! SCX a long time traditional Spanish manufacturer now in China. Ninco in China? Not 100% sure. Slot-it from Italy to China? NSR never hey?

Ask Salvatore himself, send him an email. He is not interested in mass production or saving $ on production, he oversees production of every car himself, something he cant achieve outside his home country. He is rock solid on this.

Ferrari also will never be made in China. Who would buy Chineses Ferrari?

Until someone comes up with a name and some evidence there is a realy strong chance that no one is in trouble. You can make up all the stories you want, it worked for the brothers Grimm.

LOL, this made me smile =)

www.scorpiuswireless.com

"Plus I can assure you its not NSR as they have big plans for '09-'10."

I am glad to hear this, I am a huge fan of NSR (with the exception of the Mosler's, but thats purely a personal choice). I have two of the 917's and a Clio and plan on purchasing more of the 917's and the Ford 3L when it comes as well as the the Fiat Grande Punto and anything else that comes along and grabs my fancy. I find it difficult to believe that anyone dislikes these cars, as nothing and I mean nothing comes close to these OTB. I race these at my home track which is a 3 lane routed MDF no magnet at 11v and they are fantastic.

"Brakes? they are the enemy of speed" Juha Kankunen

Martini Racing

Cars For Sale

Agreed but most slot cars dont look perfectly to scale.

The 917 is damn close though.

I bet most want performance over scale accuracy. I mean when racing who can tell a few mm here or there =)

yep, what you said, if the 917 isn't close enough to scale to call it scale, then every ninco ever made is super wrong, actually, every slot car.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

At the end of the day it does not matter who has or had big plans for 09-10.

I am sure all had big plans (even the company I work for had big plans) but with the down turn the goal post need to be moved and like all i hope its all a slow news day but you never know.

For me its business as usual until i cannot buy a particular car, then it will be fact i guess.

Plucka

Agreed but it depends how much money you put away for a rainy day. NSR know sales will be down 30%, these guys are happening. Good time to get ready for the the next boom. Theres businesses and then theres businesses. Same with Scorpius, production costs and material costs have dropped significantly and an excellent time to tool up.

Fly obviously didnt put anything away to carry them through the well predicted recession, everyone had 2 years warning.

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

What happened to this project in 3D

Has Adam resurfaced or is he still M.I.A.

I haven't heard from him in over a year. If a deal sounds too good to be true, it is, and in this case it was. That's all I'll say about that.

BMR rescued my models back from him, I purchased my own scanner and did the Rapid Prototype on these two:

cougars05.jpg

red510combo01.jpg

It cost a bunch of money, but there are other projects in the works that I hope folks will like.