What Car Is This?

old punk

Actually,..You Might be Correct about it being the Early CanAm BRM, it DID have quite a Few 'Variants' through it's life,..but then again,.....I'd suggest the cockpit is Wrong

Either way,..it's hasn't Really Got it 'Right' for either Choice !!,..lol

I was almost thinking McLeagle as well,..But it IS,.Very .M6-ish.

In Fact,..it is actually MORE like an M12 'Customer Car',..Like Lothar Motschenbacher's later car,...perhaps ??

The M12's Came about a bit Later and were sort of a bit M6 and a bit M8 -ish.

You could also 'Post' over on SlotBlog; SlotBlog forum

as Most of the Guys who Raced and Made the Bodies Back then are actually on the Site,..I would imagine you would get an accurate answer pretty quick, in fact you may even be able to get a New 'Original' one !!

Edited by stoo23

You should be able to find quite a Few M6 McLaren 'Shells' by Various Manufacturers.

The Sunset one, is an M6AS, and is Very Much a Racing body, that although similar, is Not like the one you have.

Both Lexan and Petg bodies in various thicknesses should be available both here and overseas.

I use the TrueScale 10thou bodies and ther are Nice and Clear and Crisp, a Good product.

ElectricDreams would also have something Very similar,..maybe even ToyTech.

:(

12 Cylinders,.. ??

Yes,..as Noted in the First Post,..it May be a Ferrari !!,..Doh !!,..a 612/712 CanAm ??

It's difficult finding Any TWO photos the Same of the CanAm Ferraris!,..lol,..I think they were a Constantly evolving Beast.

That would explan the general Shape and possibly the Nose as well. They Did have an integral rear deck spoiler that did wrap around the edges somewhat

Ahh, but then the cockpit and the Side intakes are wrong,..an interesting conundrum,..lol

The BRM CanAm cars ran Chevrolet engines and as far as I am aware no 12 cylinder BRM was raced in a sports car,..might be wrong, but would have been well before This style of car,

Not sure about the 12 cylinder Mirages and JWA,..

Edited by stoo23

It is a McLaren M6! The M6 was built as a customer car and sold to private teams for1968, during the Can Am period, during the next few years many were altered in appearance. The two small intakes in the front indicate M6.

Truescale do not do a 1/32 M6 But Patto does and that would be a remould off another old body. Stoo mentioned Toytech and he could be right , Larry tended to make the front of his old moulds a little more "handling" back in then.

I have a very nice resin M6 taken from a Maxi Models kit,must get around to building it to sit along side the M12 and M8 I have done.

Yeah,..I reckon it can Only be an M6,..

Ahh,..Now that Maxi Models one Would be a Nice M6!!

As you say,..it Is rather difficult to actually Find an M6,..and especially difficult to find one that IS accurate!,..lol

You are also correct about True Scale, as they Don't do an M6 (apart from the M6BGT) in either scale, their M8A is Nice though as are many of their Other Bodies,..in Fact Like the Mirage !!,..but the Coupe version.

RedFox do a 1/24th M6, (which I have used) but is more Curvy than Your Example and the Toytech one seems sort of OK,..the JK one Far Too long and stretched!!

I would agree,..the Examples of some of the M6's visible in the Gallery on Patto's, should if Nothing else, give you 'Inspiration' !!

His Looks Pretty Good to me.

Depending on what you want to do with the Body/car, the PETG bodies might be Fine

were you after a 1/24th or 1/32nd scale body?

Betta used to make some Gorgeous Scale like Bodies in 1/32!!

12 Cylinders,.. ??

The BRM CanAm cars ran Chevrolet engines and as far as I am aware no 12 cylinder BRM was raced in a sports car,..might be wrong, but would have been well before This style of car,

Not sure about the 12 cylinder Mirages and JWA,..

For sure its a McLaren.

But as for BRM and JWA - JWA won the 1968 WSCC with MkI GT40s after prototypes had to race with 3 litres and production cars had to race with 5 litres. JWA knew that MkI was pretty old and heavy so for 1969 they had Len Terry design a prototype Mirage M2 (an M1 was a narrow screen lightweight GT40) to take a 3 litre F1 engine. The M2 definitely had a 24 valve 3 litre V12 BRM engine. The roadster (open topped) version was the M3. The BRM was crap so they changed over to the V8 Cosworth. It was still no good and it all got shelved when Porsche came cap-in-hand and asked "Herr Wyer, please race our cars for us in 1970." No mention of CanAm.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1969...9-09-14-004.jpg

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1969...9-04-13-051.jpg

Edited by KarKraft

Well there you go,...

I had been aware of the Various Mirages,..in Fact Even the Other Original Ones, as my First Real Race Prepared Slot car, (A Dynamic 36D sidewinder), had a Dynamic Mirage Body, but they were Well before JWA's Mirages.

Somehow, I just never even thought about the use of the BRM,...seems to Dimly recall, the Cars dismal performance, even With Cosworth power, (a shame as they Look Nice) :),

I must have always assumed, (silly I Know!), that it was powered similarly as the M1, before they went to the Cosworths. There was Rumour of Westlake engines and there was a Westlake connection for Heads probably.

Great Cars.