rick1776

A Partner Car For The Bob Moris Torana

OK supposedly Scaly are releasing the Bob Morris Torana later this year. How many of you would like a Ford rival to go with that release? So the question is which one. The obvious antagonsit would be any Allan Moffat car. However from what I have heard he is a rather unreasonable man to deal with (even though he was my childhood hero). So realistically he is out unless you are willing to double the cost due to naming rights etc. So what other livery appeals to people? For me its John Goss 74 XA Falcon. This is open for debate however so feel free to nominate.

Second question, how much would you be willing to part with for a very limited run? $50, $100, $150. The car would have a full interior and quality would be equal to scaly. A perfect running mate to the Torana.

Not into time wasters and tyres kickers. If this project has any chance of flying I would need to have people put their money where there mouths are. As that famous quote goes..."Show me the money"

Now a lot of people just think that building a proper injection moulded car is not that much more than flopping a mould and making something out of resin. Wrong. That is fantasy land thinking. Realistically if I had the money in my hand now, the time frame would be 6-12 months to do it properly.

At a guess Im thinking about 10K would maybe get me close. Maybe... So I would need 100 confirmed purchases at $100 or 75 at $150 as an absolute minimum.

Give me some feedback, if I get 3 responses back it pretty well tells me the interest isnt there and the project dies real quick.

cheers

rick1776

OK supposedly Scaly are releasing the Bob Morris Torana later this year. How many of you would like a Ford rival to go with that release? So the question is which one. The obvious antagonsit would be any Allan Moffat car. However from what I have heard he is a rather unreasonable man to deal with (even though he was my childhood hero). So realistically he is out unless you are willing to double the cost due to naming rights etc. So what other livery appeals to people? For me its John Goss 74 XA Falcon. This is open for debate however so feel free to nominate.

Second question, how much would you be willing to part with for a very limited run? $50, $100, $150. The car would have a full interior and quality would be equal to scaly. A perfect running mate to the Torana.

Not into time wasters and tyres kickers. If this project has any chance of flying I would need to have people put their money where there mouths are. As that famous quote goes..."Show me the money"

Now a lot of people just think that building a proper injection moulded car is not that much more than flopping a mould and making something out of resin. Wrong. That is fantasy land thinking. Realistically if I had the money in my hand now, the time frame would be 6-12 months to do it properly.

At a guess Im thinking about 10K would maybe get me close. Maybe... So I would need 100 confirmed purchases at $100 or 75 at $150 as an absolute minimum.

Give me some feedback, if I get 3 responses back it pretty well tells me the interest isnt there and the project dies real quick.

John Goss is cool. Funnily enough though a falcon would have a wider track and a longer wheelbase so it in theory be faster than the little Torana. I think 70 bucks is a fair price and is arounf the mark for a quality slotcar.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

I imagine your talking a RTR, fully painted finish like a scaley car, ah la 74 winning XA Falcon coupe (The blue and white XB would be period correct to the morris car)

If that is the case. I would definitely buy one, without doubt. As for price I'd expect $75

I suppose that your doing market research ATM and judging by your replies it isn't going so well so far.

Can someone please explain to me why a tool up and run of a 100 slot cars would costs 10K. I'm not disagreeing with you, more I'm just curious.

Perhaps if the research goes well Rick you call talk people into backing the project, you know ten backers @ 1K each, or five @ 2K, or three @ ....... if you get my drift.

I would want two . i can get a mate of mine to change the livery on one for me . $75 sounds fair for a car

Cheers Slider

Rick

Im interested............ Any chance of a pre production computor pic's or specs on whats on offer?, that would sure help with pre-sales & interest!

Dont be off put with the number of replies as what your selling is marketed straight to the collector with the limited number your presenting, and as I've found on this site collectors are the minority :P , besides most serious collectors stay anonymous.

If the detail is high and the quality is up there with Scaley, I wouldn't mind paying the bigger $$$'s for a limited Aussie icon and would probably purchase more than one!

Dont forget about L/E numbered stickers on the box's?.........I know most people roll there eye's at this but remember who your prime customers will be. As a collector these little things are a god sent for identification for insurance purposes.

Clevo

Resized to 83% (was 1006 x 146) - Click image to enlarge

In our friday group put us in for 16 cars any color scheme will do :P

RUBBINS RACING SO HARDEN UP

$10,000 sounds a bit light on for plastic injection moulds, especially if they are being made in Australia, unless you have a toolmaker who is going to give you mates rates.

How many individual parts would you plan on making? Have you had tooling quoted?

Not trying to kill the project, just trying to help prevent loss of hard earned $s.

:P

Steve K.

I'd be up for a Goss car before Moffat any day of the week. I'd be up for one

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Rick

He is not an unreasonable guy. :P You just need to know how to approach him, if you think it is necessary.

Talk to Slotmeister, he's done it.

As has been said many times, he doesn't suffer fools gladly and has been ripped-off many times and is tired of it. Everybody wants a piece of him for free.

As an example cited here before, he won't sign some brands. He has contracts with one brand and people expect to rock up with armfuls of cars to be signed and flogged off on ebay. He sits at the Muscle Car Masters all day for instance and signs stuff all day with very few breaks. Try it sometime. Peter Brock had the patience for it AND he let other people take care of the money side.

Rant over.

In my opinion I don't think you need to get his approval. You are not making a profit from using his name and your not getting his signature as 'endorsed by Allan Moffat'.

The easiest solution is to canvass Scalextric to produce a Ford. I have been in touch with a senior Scalex global Marketing Manager and he has stated that a Ford to go with the Torana is on the cards for next year. He has also stated that the Brabham Moss L34 is a no brainer but the correct process is to lobby Southern Models to get it made. Maybe we should channel our efforts in this direction. I think the other thing we ALL need to do is purchase a Bob Morris Torana and prove there is demand for Aussie Touring Cars. Even though it will go against the grain, being a blue supporter, I will buy all Australian touring car releases.

Oh, by the way, I think I would like to start with a Brut 33 XB Falcon if we can convince Scaley to produce Fords ! But we probably have more chance with a Moffat / Ickx XC as number 1 with the European connection.

slotbaker,

Yes 10K is probably unrealistic. I just want to see if there is real interest out there. It is highly unlikely that I could pump them out at $50 and it could well be $150 a pop?? Price will need to be worked out. At this stage I dont even know if the project will fly, just want to gauge interest.

Cleveland,

Ask me that question in about a years time. Im under no delusion that this is the same as flopping something out of resin.

cheers

rick1776

The easiest solution is to canvass Scalextric to produce a Ford. I have been in touch with a senior Scalex global Marketing Manager and he has stated that a Ford to go with the Torana is on the cards for next year. He has also stated that the Brabham Moss L34 is a no brainer but the correct process is to lobby Southern Models to get it made. Maybe we should channel our efforts in this direction. I think the other thing we ALL need to do is purchase a Bob Morris Torana and prove there is demand for Aussie Touring Cars. Even though it will go against the grain, being a blue supporter, I will buy all Australian touring car releases.

Oh, by the way, I think I would like to start with a Brut 33 XB Falcon if we can convince Scaley to produce Fords ! But we probably have more chance with a Moffat / Ickx XC as number 1 with the European connection.

Rick I'd buy two if you went ahead, but I agree 100% with boss302. I'll be buying a T'rana solely on the hope it'll make a running mate for a later Falcon.

I think the trick for Falcons is to manufacture them as they did for the Mustangs, with a separate nose clip to change between '69 and '70. That way you could make XBs and meet the demand for XCs.

OK got some firm-ish costing back and it doesnt look good. Ouch big time. Must sell 4500 units just to break even. So if everyone buys at least 100 cars I reckon Im in with a show. :nice: And yes the 10k outlay was errrr very off the mark.

My mole on the inside has just told me that another big player is about to hit the wall. GFC crunch time my friends. Just imagine how rare all those Fly cars will be now on ebay. And just imagine how rare the ....err... sorry cant mention the other player just yet, they might not go under???

cheers

rick1776

And yes the 10k outlay was errrr very off the mark.

By about 3 or 4 times, I'd reckon, even with mediocre tooling just for the body.

For good quality, fully hardened moulds, look at about $60+k per car.

This is what most people don't understand about manufacturing costs.

Just for a small family mould to make small parts like mirrors, lenses, arials, interiors etc, etc, could set you back $7 to $10K for just one cavity of each part.

:nice:

Edited by slotbaker

Steve K.

Damn rick

you should get that looked at, a mole on the inside doesnt sound pleasant!!!

Or is it like this one :AustinPowers_Mole.jpg

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

:lol: errrmm I like them, but not that much. :nice:

I was toolmaker in the plastics game in a past life, so have a bit of experience with this stuff.

:lol:

Steve K.

Didn't we go through this a while back Here

Online petition HERE

And what's happened to you Rick, your the one that was quick to point out that it was going to cost $600,000,000,000,000 (slight exaggeration there) to set up the tooling and that it was never going to happen, gone over to the dark side have we?

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

I thought my man on the inside could help me cut corners and even with corner cutting its still 55K. From scratch its 80K. I think I was tugging the short one when i thought that corners could be cut down to 10K. 55K is serious money although I think thats what Cleveland spends every week on cars :nice:

cheers

rick1776

Rick,

Do you have a breakdown of those costs........ie: design/mould/etc., etc,?

As others obviously know, a good mould for thermoplastic injection is a serious bit of gear, we've recently been given an old one to "play" with.......it was to make door handles, is a bit under 300x300x300mm, interlocking steel sections hydraulically operated and weighs in at 196Kg and I believe original cost was way above what you're considering.

I work for a small liquid composite research (and production) company, what we've developed is ideal for situations where thermoplastic costs are prohibitive..........if suitable moulds could be made out of polyethylene (HDPE, etc), then this idea may not be out of the question.

ChrisO :(

Yes I have a price break down. Its ball park figures but Im pretty sure they are realistic and maybe at most 10% out either way. Even if I could half the cost, thats still about 25K. Thats still about 3000-3500 units I need to shift. Considering that scaly shift about 1500 V8 supercars every time a new livey comes out and V8s get a lot of exposure visa TV etc I think Im going to struggle to shift 3000 units. Talking to my mole on the inside the next livrey for the L34 is a no brainer as far as he is concerned, the ill fated Brabham/Moss car. Remember it cant have booze, smokes or Brock on it. Cuts down the field a little.

cheers

rick1776

$10,000 sounds a bit light on for plastic injection moulds, especially if they are being made in Australia, unless you have a toolmaker who is going to give you mates rates.

How many individual parts would you plan on making? Have you had tooling quoted?

Not trying to kill the project, just trying to help prevent loss of hard earned $s.

:)

As you say we dont like to kill the project but.....

Correct, the 3D design and rapid prototyping alone would be $10-15K + $30K tooling minimum with interior and driver+ actual injection moulding and set up costs+paint+ hand painted driver+tampo design+tampo+gears+bushes+axles+motor+wheels+tyres+ packaging+you have to assemble by hand+put tampo on by hand, allow 1 hour per car @ "x" amount per hour+10% GST etc etc. The cost would come in at $150 minimum for low production numbers for a quality car and thats with no profit. Why you think Racer retail @ $299. So if you sold at cost price say $150 -$200 you would sell bugger all as a lot of slotters are already whinging about a car costing $60.

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

The original wireless digital system with GRUNT.