The Moment You're All Not Waiting For

Ember

Work continues...

Attempts at blending the track edge into the existing scenery continue.

16_blending.jpg

And some more messing with minds...

17_uphill.jpg

A closeup

18_pothole_close.jpg

Hoping it will look better when the masking tape is removed.

Thanks for looking.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I've certainly got plenty of pothole and washout source material available to observe. I'm trying to decide on attempting others.

The photo certainly looks to have depth. Not sure if the effect works as well in person. The difficulty is that the observer can move around, which means the perspective alters.

Edited by Ember

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

A bit more top dressing on the road surface.

Some more edge damage on the uphill side.

19_more_damage.jpg

And the beginnings of some problems on the narrow downhill.

20_road_break.jpg

A patch on the front straight.

21_front_straight.jpg

The elevenses still need a little work.

And at last some work on the aerial 180.

22_concrete.jpg

I was lucky enough to find a Suede colour that is an almost perfect match for the base colour on the concrete wall below. The three base colours of the roadway are visible in this shot. The upper back straight is the brownish black that I started with. The upper deck frames the Banksy tribute from this angle. Neither Melbourne City Council nor plumbing contractors will be getting at this one.

Just need to finish off detailing the washouts, the elevenses, and the edge if the concrete then seal it all with a coat of clear.

Edited by Ember

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Well... On to what has got to be the most funnest job ever. Unmasking. 23_unmasking.jpg

24_unmasking.jpg

25_unmasking.jpg

26_unmask_detail.jpg

I'm very happy with the way things are looking. But, you guys win. Never, ever, ever will I paint plastic track again. For no other reason than that the unmasking is slow and backbreaking work. I swear I've already spent twice as much time unmasking as it took me to mask the rails in the first place. And I'm still not half way though.

Next track will definitely be routed, if only because it means I can have the look that I want without the pain.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Embs, you have excellent vision. At first I thought some of your choices were odd, kind of abstract. But now I can see how they are coming together nicely. A top job!

Just wait til you take the Mog for a solo drive, clipping the dirt verges. You'll be smiling from ear to ear.

Edited by KarKraft

If only wish my optometrist still thought I had excellent vision. :lol:

I think it is possible that the choices seemed abstract because once the painting commenced the rails started to disappear. But, most of the decisions on road visual direction and flow have been fairly organic. Actually, they've probably been based around what the scenery tells the track it needs to do. That may seem a bit strange, but the scenic formations and style were originally designed to explain the reasons for the track form. So, the scenery is formed by the track which is in turn shaped by the scenery. It had to work. Didn't it?

With the exception of the concrete 'flyover' the unmasking is complete. Thank goodness! There's still some work to be done on the concrete area before I can call it ready for unmasking.

So... A few photos in celebration of shiny rails once again.

27_downhill.jpg

28_downhill_run.jpg

The two photos above are in the natural running direction. Those below are in reverse.

29_esses.jpg

super_cruisin.jpg

I'm really happy with the way all this is looking. But I won't be happy until I get the power flowing and the cars running again to find out what this has really done to the track.

Edited by Ember

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

It lives again!!! At the moment it's like driving on new track again. Hoping that there'll be an improvement in grip as there are more laps completed. As it is at the moment, the Ninco tyres really seem to like it. MJKs only so so at the moment. So hoping that will improve with just a little time.

Will take some fresh photos tomorrow. Rather happy with the look of the concrete section, but still need to add barriers to it.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

A couple of piccies of the Concrete 180.

30_concrete.jpg

31_concrete.jpg

The edge on the outside has been done with strips of heavy mounting card the same as the earlier concrete construction. I've been slack this time and have put a run of masking tape around the outside to unify the surface texture rather than coating it in plaster. I've let the suede paint do the textural work. The inner edge needed to conform to a tighter curve, so I used a lighter weight cardboard to build the laminate. The cardboard was the packing in an envelope of photo paper, so it's nothing special but is fine enough to be able to handle the tight curve. I have yet to decide what sort of barrier to use on this corner.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been doing a bit more work around the track. Some sneak peek photos. The glue is even still wet.

04_mazda_sm.jpg

03_mazda-sm.jpg

02_mazda_sm.jpg

07_mazda_sm.jpg

I think I might've found one spot on the track where the MrSlotMazda doesn't look too out of place.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thought it appropriate for another comparative overview.

overviewdec2010.jpg

As at December 2010

23_overview.jpg

As at August 2011

overviewaug2012.jpg

As at August 2012

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Definitely a different beast to what it was before it was painted. Has changed the preferred tyre choice a little. MJKs do not hook up anywhere near as well as on the bare plastic. But Fabio urethanes are brilliant. The surprise of the bunch is that Racer rubber (untreated) is absolutely brilliant on the new surface.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Rabbits have been bad at that end of the track KK. ;)

Looking to get some of the 12mm Noch and 10mm Heki grass fibres. But I'll have to shop overseas for it. Frustrating searching for one place that handles both brands.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

It does have a 'clear' coat, Matt. I use the quotes because it's not really clear. I wanted a flat finish because I didn't see the point in painting plastic track only to add an unrealistic shine with a sealing coat. So, on Mel's suggestion (OntheFlipside that is) I used an untinted base as the sealing coat. The suede would've been fine to drive on on its own but I wanted to be able to see tyre marks build up. Therefore the top coat was required.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

• 2 months later...

Had some black paint leftover in the palette and decided to put it to use on a couple of spots that didn't quite work to my liking.

04_mccrae_muddy.jpg

02_mccrae_muddy.jpg

And at the other end a bit of extra work made up for the loss of detail from the 'clear' coat.

05_wash_detail.jpg

06_road_damage.jpg

The full section

01_mccrae_muddy.jpg

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg