The Moment You're All Not Waiting For

267 replies to this topic

#221 SlotsNZ

GP2 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,794 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Messing with heads is surely good fun - and sport.
I put one teensy weensey meeander - or two on my routed track, and people are still driving the "roadway" instead of the slots after 10 months. (centre of inside corner as example) - but there are 3 illusions in the shot.

Posted Image
Inaugural and undefeated "Pie-Bone 400 champion" For of course, team WDG
Slots addict 1st class
My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | | Our club - HBMRC | | Club intro on Youtube

#222 GJH-NZ

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

Mark,

ya really gotta get on with that track and "Braid it". Also fix up the Naf fences. hehe

#223 GJH-NZ

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

Ember,

Sorry if It's a dumb question - but is that just the primer/undercoat. If so what is the final colour of roadway going to be?

GJH

#224 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

The white is a 3 in 1, primer/sealer/undercoat. The roadway will hopefully be bitumen-ish. Not totally happy with the colour I've chosen on that score. Faux Leather. I was looking for something that was dark grey but dirtied with brown. As the road would be browned and grubbied with red dust.

I've only started to paint in the first coat. Actually, the colour looks near perfect in the photos, but it looks just a smidge too brown to me in reality.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I must apologise for the imperfect photos. Low light levels by the time I took these this evening and I didn't have the enthusiasm to get my flash and diffuser.

I think the thing with the paint is that the suede gets a white 'peach fuzz blush' to it when finished and dry. If it was the same colour but dried with a dark peach fuzz to it it would be almost perfect. I'll finish painting the road base and give it a second coat before I discount it completely.

Embs
Computers. They'll never catch on.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#225 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

Ok. Change of roadway colour. Much happier overall. I finished off the first coat with Faux Leather, then top coated with Pompeii Ash.

This photo is very close to the true colour.
Posted Image

A close up of the finish.
Posted Image

Now the fun part of trying to blend it in with the existing scenery a bit.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Not sure how well it shows in the photo, but I've left the top straight in the brownish Faux Leather and blended into the Pompeii Ash on the way down the hill.

And some blending work done around the water. A combination of washing on, sponging off and sponging on. Still needs a little more work.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#226 digby

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Nice effect. Colour selection noted for future reference ,thanks.

#227 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Work continues...

Attempts at blending the track edge into the existing scenery continue.
Posted Image

And some more messing with minds...
Posted Image

A closeup
Posted Image
Hoping it will look better when the masking tape is removed.

Thanks for looking.
Embs

Posted Image

#228 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Looks pretty good from where I'm sitting.

#229 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

I've certainly got plenty of pothole and washout source material available to observe. I'm trying to decide on attempting others.

The photo certainly looks to have depth. Not sure if the effect works as well in person. The difficulty is that the observer can move around, which means the perspective alters.

Edited by Ember, 14 May 2012 - 06:24 PM.

Posted Image

#230 Mohawkk

prettiest rally car 2011-12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

looking cool embs
Love,
Kai Posted Image

#231 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

A bit more top dressing on the road surface.

Some more edge damage on the uphill side.
Posted Image

And the beginnings of some problems on the narrow downhill.
Posted Image

A patch on the front straight.
Posted Image
The elevenses still need a little work.

And at last some work on the aerial 180.
Posted Image
I was lucky enough to find a Suede colour that is an almost perfect match for the base colour on the concrete wall below. The three base colours of the roadway are visible in this shot. The upper back straight is the brownish black that I started with. The upper deck frames the Banksy tribute from this angle. Neither Melbourne City Council nor plumbing contractors will be getting at this one.

Just need to finish off detailing the washouts, the elevenses, and the edge if the concrete then seal it all with a coat of clear.

Edited by Ember, 17 May 2012 - 07:52 PM.

Posted Image

#232 scrjon

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

cool build, I just spent 45 min. reading this thread all 12 pages and you are pretty good.

#233 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Thanks Jon. Much appreciated.

Posted Image

#234 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

Well... On to what has got to be the most funnest job ever. Unmasking. Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm very happy with the way things are looking. But, you guys win. Never, ever, ever will I paint plastic track again. For no other reason than that the unmasking is slow and backbreaking work. I swear I've already spent twice as much time unmasking as it took me to mask the rails in the first place. And I'm still not half way though.

Next track will definitely be routed, if only because it means I can have the look that I want without the pain.

Posted Image

#235 KarKraft

GT40 fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

Embs, you have excellent vision. At first I thought some of your choices were odd, kind of abstract. But now I can see how they are coming together nicely. A top job!

Just wait til you take the Mog for a solo drive, clipping the dirt verges. You'll be smiling from ear to ear.

Edited by KarKraft, 20 May 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#236 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

If only wish my optometrist still thought I had excellent vision. :lol:

I think it is possible that the choices seemed abstract because once the painting commenced the rails started to disappear. But, most of the decisions on road visual direction and flow have been fairly organic. Actually, they've probably been based around what the scenery tells the track it needs to do. That may seem a bit strange, but the scenic formations and style were originally designed to explain the reasons for the track form. So, the scenery is formed by the track which is in turn shaped by the scenery. It had to work. Didn't it?

With the exception of the concrete 'flyover' the unmasking is complete. Thank goodness! There's still some work to be done on the concrete area before I can call it ready for unmasking.

So... A few photos in celebration of shiny rails once again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The two photos above are in the natural running direction. Those below are in reverse.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm really happy with the way all this is looking. But I won't be happy until I get the power flowing and the cars running again to find out what this has really done to the track.

Edited by Ember, 23 May 2012 - 07:42 PM.

Posted Image

#237 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

Looking great Embs.... liking the way it flows different in different sections.

#238 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

It lives again!!! At the moment it's like driving on new track again. Hoping that there'll be an improvement in grip as there are more laps completed. As it is at the moment, the Ninco tyres really seem to like it. MJKs only so so at the moment. So hoping that will improve with just a little time.

Will take some fresh photos tomorrow. Rather happy with the look of the concrete section, but still need to add barriers to it.

Posted Image

#239 gazza

2003 World hide and seek champion

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,914 posts
  • Location:Sitting in front of the computer, how else could i be typing this

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Great work as always Lynne
Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

Posted Image

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2012

#240 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

A couple of piccies of the Concrete 180.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The edge on the outside has been done with strips of heavy mounting card the same as the earlier concrete construction. I've been slack this time and have put a run of masking tape around the outside to unify the surface texture rather than coating it in plaster. I've let the suede paint do the textural work. The inner edge needed to conform to a tighter curve, so I used a lighter weight cardboard to build the laminate. The cardboard was the packing in an envelope of photo paper, so it's nothing special but is fine enough to be able to handle the tight curve. I have yet to decide what sort of barrier to use on this corner.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users