Ember

The Moment You're All Not Waiting For

Thanks. Its all experimenting really. A lot of time spent researching and reading. Then the decision to just chuck it all and try it anyway. It really is easy once you try. Still so much that needs doing.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Really it is. The biggest block of all is the fear of a blank canvas.

I'd never done anything even remotely like this before I started. And I've got nothing special going for me that others don't have, with the possible exception of a bit of colour theory which can be learned.

Research and observation are the only other skills required.

Research is easy. It only takes time. And the secret to research is taking it all on board and then choosing what is right for you and your situation. Then its a case of chuck that all out and do your own thing. A pinch of this way and a dash of that.

Observation is the real key. Since starting this project I look at everything so much more and textures have become key. I've even handed over driving duties on a few favourite roads so that I can sit back and observe. Sad, but true.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

This is all looking fantastic Ember ,,lovin it!!

Your 'ole mate Drummer was into the scenery thing bit (from memory wasn't he).

Not wanting to hijack your thread Embs but Tooter bought back some memories

Drummers digital track

Over 18 months now since we lost him - was reminded of him earlier today as well when I bought some Slot-it lighting kits at Armchair

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Flipper, thanks for those videos of Drummer's track. He does have a little place at Tyers Targa, even though I never had the opportunity to talk to him at all. His Challenger lives here now, although I haven't used it in a long time.

No real progress to report, just a couple of gratuitous photos of the 'new' farm vehicle.

farm_truck_front.jpg

farm_truck_back.jpg

Picked it up all shiny at new at the news agent. But it was too shiny for a farm vehicle. Hit it with the sandblaster, a little bit more heavy handed than I intended, to take the gloss off. Then sat in the sunshine to experiment with a soft paintbrush, a piece of paper for a pallette and the soft pastels. Apply pastels to paper and use as the 'paints'. The pastel is just dusted on to the surface in appropriate places with the soft paintbrush.

Not a particularly good job and it hasn't been 'fixed' with anything, so it should change a bit with handling.

I tried a bit of the same dirt on my OzRally Proxy car.

ozrally2.jpg

It was lightly sanded with some fine grade emery paper and then received the same treatment (not totally successfully). The whole car was then 'fixed' with a quick squirt of hairspray.

The observant amongst you may also notice that one of the bike riders has received a new mount. I also tried dirtying the bikes up a little, but without any real success. They need some sort of treatment to allow the pastel dust to stick to the surface. Might be time to hit the model rail research mode again.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Flipper, thanks for those videos of Drummer's track. He does have a little place at Tyers Targa, even though I never had the opportunity to talk to him at all. His Challenger lives here now, although I haven't used it in a long time.

No real progress to report, just a couple of gratuitous photos of the 'new' farm vehicle.

farm_truck_front.jpg

farm_truck_back.jpg

Picked it up all shiny at new at the news agent. But it was too shiny for a farm vehicle. Hit it with the sandblaster, a little bit more heavy handed than I intended, to take the gloss off. Then sat in the sunshine to experiment with a soft paintbrush, a piece of paper for a pallette and the soft pastels. Apply pastels to paper and use as the 'paints'. The pastel is just dusted on to the surface in appropriate places with the soft paintbrush.

Not a particularly good job and it hasn't been 'fixed' with anything, so it should change a bit with handling.

I tried a bit of the same dirt on my OzRally Proxy car.

ozrally2.jpg

It was lightly sanded with some fine grade emery paper and then received the same treatment (not totally successfully). The whole car was then 'fixed' with a quick squirt of hairspray.

The observant amongst you may also notice that one of the bike riders has received a new mount. I also tried dirtying the bikes up a little, but without any real success. They need some sort of treatment to allow the pastel dust to stick to the surface. Might be time to hit the model rail research mode again.

Looking great there is some paints made by tamiya that do dirt and rust effects that work great

Untitled-1.jpg

I Like your work there Ember,you may need to get more security to keep the graffiti kids out of the tunnels :aussie:

Looking great there is some paints made by tamiya that do dirt and rust effects that work great

If you're referring to the Tamiya Weathering Kits, they're basically the same thing as the soft pastels presented in an 'eyeshadow' kind of kit. There might be a bit of oil mixed into the blend to help make it stick a bit better.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Could do KK. I've got some, I just didn't think of it. D'oh!

You know it goes sometimes. You think and think on a problem and can't come up with a solution. All it takes is someone to take a different angle. I'll try the dullcoat on the bikes and see how they go.

Thanks.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

looking good Embs. Try giving those chrome rims on the truck a bit of a tickle with some watered down rusty/dirt colour paint. If it doesnt work, jou can just wipe it off anyway....the chrome rims just offer that bit too much 'bling at the moment'. Other than that - looks fantastic.

On page 4, post #83 of my track thread, check how the chrome grill, was made 'less chrome'....although kirk probably went a little over the top with it!!!!

Dave

Edited by GTR XU-1

Hard to believe those rims have had a serious sandblast, isn't it. There's a touch on the front near the headlight that I missed too, did a pretty rough mask job, so I'll hit it with some paint too. And probably the tyres as well.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Testing the usefulness of a new(ish) toy. Diffuser hood for my Speedlight (bounce flash). So, it seemed appropriate to use it to take some photos around the track.

mischief.jpg

These guys can only be up to no good.

ride_n_rally.jpgrally_n_ride.jpg

And some wild life has started to move in.

swamp_rubbish.jpg

fox_1.jpg

fox_2.jpg

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

420EX... I've had it for ages, but never really use it much. I bought it when a friend asked me to be their wedding photographer. I've never really been much of a fan of shooting portraits, but they were happy with the results, and the gig paid for the flash unit and a few other goodies at the time. The diffuser is just a cheapy that I picked up on Amazon. I now wish I'd bought one years ago.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

G'day Ember,Very Nice,might need something more powerful to get rid of the hoons that keep dumping stuff. regards Digby

Not the dingoes, the locals did. :) They're still out there, somewhere.

freaky-tree-climbing-goats.jpeg

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

It looks like you have a nice fast lens there Ember. Nice shots.

When I'm taking wide angle shots with flash & zoom lens, I get the shadow of the end of the lens visible in the bottom of the frame. :( One day I'll get an SB-400 flash to sit on top of my camera, it will do all I need & its nice & compact.

Normally I like to take landscape & other scenes rarely using a flash; I'm not into portraits either.

Since I've been taking progress shots of my track project I've had to use the flash, & there are a lot of shots with that there dreaded shadow.

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.

Well I don't now.

I'm over it!

Photos of my track in progress.

At the risk of wandering a little further off topic (who? me? :o)...

Neither of my lenses are very fast. Both only 4.8f, hence the flash requirement. The diffuser hood that I bought is only a really cheap on that I purchased from Amazon. Flash diffuser dohicky. The diffuser is a bit big and awkward, but perhaps works better because of it. I can still get some awful reflections if I'm not careful, but the harsh shadows are not a problem. I've also discovered that I don't need a reflector to bounce the flash off quite the same. The diffuser does its job quite well.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

4.8 ! That is great you were getting terrific control of your depth of field/focus with that speed. You've inspired me as my zoom is f/3.5 -> 5.6, & at least towards the slower end I haven't been able to effect the results that I desire when it comes to losing the focus of the background of my subject. (I haven't put a great deal of time into it, they have been shots on the go, so to speak.)

Anyway, those shots are really well done Ember, unless you were playing with Photoshop of course. lol

Then they are well done in a different way. :)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.

Well I don't now.

I'm over it!

Photos of my track in progress.

Anyway, those shots are really well done Ember, unless you were playing with Photoshop of course. lol

Only 'Shoppin' on these is a crop and resize. Ooops. Slight fib, I got rid of the bike stands on the motorbikes. :)

Tripod is a must. I've got very poor light in the track room. Nothing but two circular fluros in the ceiling. The camera is old (for DSLR anyway) being an EOS10D. There are phones around these days with more sensitive CCDs in them. Without flash most of my track shots are at 400ISO, hence inclined to be a tad grainy.

Best thing about digital is being able to shoot lots and cull later. If I've got time over the weekend I might have a play with a bigger lens and see what appears.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg