Ember

The Moment You're All Not Waiting For

The beginning of the long weekend has been devoted to growing trees. The wire tree armatures seen earlier have been coated and painted. And...

tree_farm.jpg

tree_fibres.jpg

Tree branch fibres applied. The fibres are a Sweetwater Scenics product recommended by Brand Korando scenic guy extraordinaire. The do help keep the tree open and light.

Black polyfibre applied over the branchlet fibres.

tree_poly.jpgtree_livedead.jpg

At this stage the trees really start looking more like trees.

Then its on to leaves....

tree_leaves.jpgtree_horiz.jpg

Leaves are once again Noch Leaves. A larger variety of colours this time. Dark green and mid green have been added to the mix. But the olive is still the most eucalyptus of the bunch.

The trees still require trimming and tweaking before final planting on the track. Not sure if it shows up in the photos, but in reality they look much more gum-ish than the first effort.

Cheers for now.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Emb,

Pardon the french but they look f_ _ _ing awsome!!! I like how the leaves look really fine

Well done

Dave

tree_leaves.jpg

Excellent work Embs cid_9EB3B19568D1433C9CB93147B6DF07D.gif

This one reminds me of some old girl who tried to crack on to me in up in FNQ recently

tree_livedead.jpg

wiley2.gif

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Thanks boys. Who said the idea of eucalyptus tree farms had run its course. I think this lot should be enough for the track. The track isn't really very big and I have to keep an eye on reach (or lack of in my case). I have positioning pretty much planned out so they shouldn't be in the road.

Colour of the tunnel lighting has been improved slightly with a daub of clear yellow paint.

Tunnel_lite.jpg

Also been working on a bit of junk for the swamp before applying the next layer of varnish to it.

And, of course, cutting laps.

And doing more laps...

And driving the occasional lap...

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Embs,

Great work on the trees - absolutely outstanding....

And that tunnel with those Rally cars looks the business (the graffiti just looks brilliant, and to think you got some young fellas to do that) - I'd expect Tony from The Bill to be sitting in his police car just past the bridge waiting for that Skoda....

Cheers

Mark

Embs........Wow!! I probably wont say anything that hasn't been said before, but that is a fantastic job, love the commitment to detail you have put in!! Keep up the great work and I cant wait to see the updates.

Cheers,

Foggy

SCX Digital.............The way to go!!

Thanks for your kind words folks.

Was looking at putting some of the new trees on the track today. Certainly can't put them anywhere near the old ones. They just look so different.

The dead one has been planted in the swamp where it belongs. A bit more work done around there. I've got a coat of paint to do on an oil drum and a jerry can and the swamp will be ready for its next layer of varnish.

Cheers

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Wow, I just found this... great stuff Embs and tons of info that I was looking for . Really appreciate you detailing the cliff building / painting as I will have quite a lot of large cliffs to make!!

Great work.. I love it!

Edited by Roath

Time for a quick little saga update.

Lots of work going on in the background, but not a lot to see. But some work has been going on around the swamp.

swamp_bugs.jpg

This photo was taken a few days ago when my Pink Kar Beetles arrived. Since then, some futher weathering has been done on the pile of junk. The 44 gallon drum has received some rust and grime, and the jerry can has also received some paint and wear. The pile itself has been re-arranged about a gazillion times to try to get a natural looking composition.

This evening I decided to stop fiddling with things and commit to the second pour of 'water'.

The 'water' is, of course, the same cheap oil based satin varnish. I've added a little burnt umber oil paint to colour it slightly to represent decaying plant matter. The only issue in doing this is that the cheap varnish is quite brown when wet but dries clear, so it's difficult to know if I've added to much or too little colourant. Oh well. The good thingis that it seems like the colour has pooled a little thicker in a few areas. But I won't really know until it dries. :o I hate waiting for paint to dry!

So here is the junk pile after the second pour.

2nd_pour.jpg

And an overview.

2nd_swamp_hit.jpg

The dead tree really needs a cockatoo or wedgetail eagle sitting on a branch to make it perfect. Yikes! I think I'll leave that for 'ron.

Thanks for your time.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Looking real good Embs!

I think it needs some dry grass weeds or similar around the water's edge to add something... all in good time I guess?

The color looks fine to me...

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

So here is the junk pile after the second pour.

2nd_pour.jpg

More great work.

Didn't know you that you were up in Alice

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

It is quite Alice-esque at the moment. Not intentional. I have enjoyed some time in the centre. But I'm planning on a some layers of grass and ground cover atop the dirt and rock base. Hopefully the subsequent layers will damp down the deep desert look a little.

Had the fencing contractors in today...

fencing.jpg

Marking the fenceline and installing the posts. These have been cut from old dry twigs rescued from a clean-out of the woodshed. All bark has been stripped off, bases drilled and a pin inserted (pop-rivett shanks are cheap and a good size).

gate_detail.jpg

The gate frame is made from fencing wire (appropriately) soldered together. Hinges are two bits of fine ally tube glued to the frame. The hinge pins are a pair of bent brads, as is the latch/keeper on the open side.

The mesh on the gate is fabric, from an ironing protector or something like that. I picked it up at the local tight-wad shop for all of 50c. Glued onto the gate frame with 5 min araldite and then hit with a light spray of aluminium paint. I may yet give the gate a light wash with some raw umber paint to dull it off, but at the moment I quite like the idea of a new gate hanging on an old fence.

gate_closed.jpggate_open.jpg

Posts have been drilled to accept the fencing wire. Fortunately I have quite a bit of fuse wire lying around which I no longer need. It looks about right to me, except of course for the shiny new look.

farm_corner.jpg

The fence posts have been aged with a wash of raw umber with a touch of cobalt blue. The grass around the base is more sisel rope dyed with olive and hookers green. The shiny newness of the fencing wire has been dulled down a bit with a touch of burnt umber acrylic.

fenceline.jpg

Detail shot. The tie-wire is left-over from tree making. The latch-hook is the head end of a nail (just like the real thing 'cept smaller).

fenceline2.jpg

A fun way to waste a cold, wet and windy afternoon.

Thanks for taking the time to look in.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

The modelling is excellent

...the fencng . . . yep, that looks about the standard of the average ozzie sheep run . . . . .

all you need now is a rusty sign alluding variously to billabongs, rustlers and 12 bores . . . .

Thanks boys.

Dick, the sisal is great. Easy to work with, and it takes colour quite well. Just soak overnight in a rather wet paint mix of the colour of choice, and hang it out to dry. I use a wire pet comb to separate the fibres. The uneven-ness of the dye job just aids the realism.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I have no words... my chin is on the floor. I have so much respect for you Ember, your patience, fine work, colour knowledge, attention to detail and skills deserve more applause than I can muster...

WOW! Thank you for sharing this journey.

take care

Dawn

There has been a bit of work on the track, but nothing that really shows up. Gaps have been filled in and around the tunnel with more FRock. Yet to be painted.

gap_filling.jpg

I want the tunnel to remain removable for maintenance if required. The bit of FRock on the top of the tunnel is attached to the styrofoam block of the tunnel and acts as an edge to stop the tunnel from being pushed too far under the track. Gaps around the rear of the tunnel have also been filled with FRock, but it's impossible to get pictures of the area.

There have been some visitors to the Targa course while work was progressing around the tunnel.

bike_old.jpg

A Britains bike and rider. I picked up a couple of these on ebay for around $8 plus postage. Thanks Eno for the tip off. The bike of the second rider was damaged (which I knew) but I happened to have a couple of New Ray dirt bikes that are the right size. So one old guy got himself a new bike.

bike_showoff.jpg

I'll probably give these ol' boys a new coat of paint at some stage.

bike_boys.jpg

The two of them gather at the farm gate to plan some mischief.

bike_in_swamp.jpg

Of course, someone had to head into the swamp.

That's about all there is at the moment. Thanks for looking in.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

There has been a bit of work on the track, but nothing that really shows up. Gaps have been filled in and around the tunnel with more FRock. Yet to be painted.

gap_filling.jpg

I want the tunnel to remain removable for maintenance if required. The bit of FRock on the top of the tunnel is attached to the styrofoam block of the tunnel and acts as an edge to stop the tunnel from being pushed too far under the track. Gaps around the rear of the tunnel have also been filled with FRock, but it's impossible to get pictures of the area.

There have been some visitors to the Targa course while work was progressing around the tunnel.

bike_old.jpg

A Britains bike and rider. I picked up a couple of these on ebay for around $8 plus postage. Thanks Eno for the tip off. The bike of the second rider was damaged (which I knew) but I happened to have a couple of New Ray dirt bikes that are the right size. So one old guy got himself a new bike.

bike_showoff.jpg

I'll probably give these ol' boys a new coat of paint at some stage.

bike_boys.jpg

The two of them gather at the farm gate to plan some mischief.

bike_in_swamp.jpg

Of course, someone had to head into the swamp.

That's about all there is at the moment. Thanks for looking in.

Embs

that guy on the grey bikes a bit out of his element Embs

Yeah I know. He's got a red Kwaka on its way.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg