Ember

The Moment You're All Not Waiting For

Dark Wheatbeer, in a proper glass.

Well done.

Got 6 of those, all from Breweries from home.

"If one does not fail at times,

then one has not challenged himself."

Ferdinand Porsche

Coopers Best Extra Stout actually. Not quite as good as my "Holy Smoke Stout", but it'll do on a cold night. The glass is mainly cos I wanted the yeast from the bottom of the bottle to build up into a batch worthy amount. Really must get back into brewing. It'll make visitors to the track that much cheaper to entertain.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Well done.

So Christian, were you born there?

My daughter is in Germany on a school-organised trip.

Well done.

So Christian, were you born there?

My daughter is in Germany on a school-organised trip.

Hi KK,

yes, only been here 19 years.

An old bloke from around here said to me a few years ago, "it will take you only 20 years to be a local" :lol::lol:

Grew up in Bavaria, in a town called Neumarkt/Opf.

It is about 150km up north from Munich.

Whereabout is your daughter?

"If one does not fail at times,

then one has not challenged himself."

Ferdinand Porsche

She has been all over, but presently with a family in Stade, near Hamburg.

My Dad was a 'displaced person' during the war and spent time in Schwarzenbeck near Hamburg also, and Geislingen, near Ulm.

Nothing worse than having a good slide going and striking a sticky patch.

AHMEN to that

Thought this was a family show :lol:

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Nothing worse than having a good slide going and striking a sticky patch.

AHMEN to that

Thought this was a family show :unsure:

all in the mind Flipper

How's the scenery coming Ember? I built "your" track last night and ran it a bit today. It JUST fits in our upstairs room. I could probably border the outer corners if I rotated it 15 degrees.

I quite like the track although I find that the inner lane of R1s can sometimes be a bummer.

DSCN1801.jpg

We'll eventually build a table and rout but I've got two more big jobs in the job jar first.

I had to borrow some track from a mate (iwanttoslot, he's new here) as I used up most of my stuff. Some of his is musty old Triang stuff that probably predates me, and I was born the year of the moon landing! Anyone know for sure what years Triang made Scaley track in New Zealand?

Needless to say, there's enough continuity issues to make running the Challenge car (thanks tvwino!) not quite possible.

Matt

How does it run flat Matt? I've got about 250mm rise and fall over the whole thing, which tends to make both lanes equally interesting.

I spent yesterday painting the FRock cliff (which runs along the back wall) for the top/back straight. I thought I'd have it installed but his lordship spent today paint balling, and I need his assistance to mount the cliff on the the back board of the table. Have also been working on more gum trees. I'll post some photos of the first cliff installation in the next couple of days, hopefully.

Spent a little bit of time tearing foam for the second layer of FRock cliffs between top and second straight, but got too cold and wet running between garage and bungalow.

I still can't get over the fact that someone else has had a play with my humble little layout.

Is that a Challenger tower I see? I've been curious to see how a Challenger would handle it, particularly with the elevations.

Elevation heights are approximately:-

Top straight - 200mm - 250mm

Front "hammerhead" (TM Top Gear) - drops from 250mm to ground level and back up to 120mm

Second straight - 90 - 120mm

Diagonal straight - Ground level

Cheers

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Update time. Painting of top cliff completed and dry. Finally managed to get a chance to install the FRock cliffs to the top straight.

Testing fit here

cliff_test.jpg

and a scale test.

cliff_test2.jpg

The first half of the cliff glued in place.

topstraightcliff.jpg

And the bit before the bump before the corner and down slope.

topstraightbump.jpg

I know there are a lot of people that don't like FRocks. I chose them for simplicity. Access to this area of the track will be limited upon completion. The table is hinged here and folds up against the wall. The area between the back of the table and the wall is filled with shelves, or will be, accessable for those rare occassions when the track is not in use. For this reason I needed a landscaping method that allowed me to complete construction offsite and install all at once. FRocks were the best choice I could see.

Although the cliff is in place, it's not complete. There will be some softening with dry grass clumps and some small scattered rocks to blend between the cliff face and the roadway. The top of the cliff will be grassed. And a print will be applied to the wall behind. Not sure yet whether it will be a panaramic photo or if I'll create it myself. Plenty of time there.

Next major project on the list, the second row of cliff between the top straight and second straight. These will be quite undercut, both for practicality purposes and because the landscape is asking for it.

Anyway, time to get back in front of the fire to wind some more trees.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

An update for the few that are interested in plastic.

Where was I last time. Top cliff frocked. Ok. Saw the prices on long grasses from Woodland Scenics, etc. While I was washing paint brushes one day I noticed how close the colour of the bristle was to dry grass. So, I had an idea. I bought half a dozen very cheap brushes from the local tightwad shop and destroyed them. I removed the ferule, leaving the bristles in their glue base. I then mixed some artists acrylic, warm white with a touch of yellow oxide to make a hay type colour. You can use the cheap stuff, but I don't. Habit I suppose. The cheap stuff contains detergents as a deflocculent to keep them wet. You'll notice this if you mix a wash with lots of water, working with the brush will eventually build up a sudsy bubble. I worked this colour through the bristle wads and left them to dry. Once dry I broke them up into small clusters and trimmed them to more natural shapes. These then got applied in appropriate places.

grasses.jpg

I'll add some rock scatter and some more clusters to blend them in. But this is the way they look upon deposit.

Next step, more frocking. Application of 'frocking compound'

Applicationoffrockingcompound.jpg

A few more coats and some paint and it looks like this.

frockedandpainted.jpg

You may have noticed by the date that we're officially in winter. A cold snap has meant snow in the Grampians.

icefill.jpg

carvingdebris.jpg

Well. Not quite. Back filling with polistyerene and carving landforms. A messy job, but fun. This will eventually be stabilised with the ol' chux and plaster trick.

From here its more tearing of upholstery foam for cliffs. I tear the foam and then slice away any bulk on the back for cliffs. Attached to the polystyrene with pins. Got to check scale occasionally.

gottacheckscale.jpg

I'll glue them to the front of the polystyrene before frocking them this time.

Trouble is, you never know what you might see using country roads.

carefuloncountryroads.jpg

Lots more to be done yet.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Hi there another way of doing grass is to cut stripes or patches of fur and then just spray color them in your preferred color.

cheers and keep up the good work

OMG. You found it. How embarressing!

There's been some heavy duty work and a bit of progress since that last lot. Just haven't bothered to post any updates. Will get the camera out during daylight hours over the weekend.

There'll be a concerted effort made on the track over the next week. I have a week off and want to get it at least mostly finished before school holidays (about 4 weeks away) when the table will have to get folded up for the first time as His Lordship's teen boys decend on us for 2 weeks.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

....... I have a week off and want to get it at least mostly finished before school holidays (about 4 weeks away) when the table will have to get folded up for the first time as His Lordship's teen boys decend on us for 2 weeks.

"Quick hide our toys, the kids are coming"

"Quick hide our toys, the kids are coming"

You've got that in one SlotsNZ. All things Ninco and MB Slot will be well and truly under lock and key. And the track will be full of Scaley Minis & SCX Citroens, along with the original batch of cars that survive from Christmas.

MiniMan (the 13 y/o) will also have his Carrera 57 BelAir Coupe as an early birthday present. Was hoping to have the '70 Chevelle for MaxiMan (15 y/o and a 6'2" streak of misery) by now, but I got side tracked with toys for the 'adults' :)

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Update time for anyone who may be interested (both of you).

Progress has been slow, but it has been made. Should pick up again with a week off to work on it. Most interesting progress has been made on the left end (must start naming some sections).

After doing things on the cheap for so long I gave in and spent some $$$ on expander foam. 2 cans down, 1 to go.

Leftendwork.jpg

Undercoat colour applied to frock cliffs on this end. Really happy with the colours. Looking very Grampians Sandstone. So the previously done ones will have to be changed. The lump in the middle of the rising corner has had a recoat of jointing compound in preparation for a recolour. The big cliff on the back straight will hopefully get recoloured at the end of it all too, but to do that I've got to take the back wall off the table. One lesson learned, chuck some paint in the compound, makes for a better base to paint on. Also helps hide various colours of the base foam.

Expanderfoamrocks.jpg

Closeup of some carved expansion foam boulders. Expansion foam is so much more fun and easier to carve than poly styrene!!!

concretewall.jpg

Below track. Concrete wall. Strip of leftover matt board (heavy paste board, left over from mounting photos and drawings over the years) cut to size. More squares of board cut to size with bevelled edge (done with matt cutter) and glued in place. Whole lot was then coated with jointing compound (tinted greenish grey this time). The concrete edge to the road above is again strips of matt board. A 10 mm strip laminated together with 2 5mm strips to make curbing, then hot glued in place. The lot then got a few coats of concrete coloured compound. There's more work to be done under here, which will inlcude another piece of concreted card attached to the base of the overhead track and some 'steel' i-beam gurders glued in place to complete the construction.

I left the track like this to go and do some essential things elsewhere and when I came back to cut some laps it looked like this!

graffwork.jpg

Anyway. That's the visible bit for now. New power supply has arrived (D3800) so I'll be able to get rid of the horrid lump that is the power track. Have also got timing system to sort out and put in place of the other horrendous great lump that is the lap counter.

More progress reports soon hopefully. In the mean time I'd better get back out there and make sure those spray can weilding ferals don't get up to any more 'artwork'

Cheers

Embs

I guess I should have known that a blank concrete wall was going to lead to temptation.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Nought but brush and paint Obsidith. I've learned to add some base colour to the jointing compound. Then other colours are all washed on. Main coat is fairly wet just blending one colour to the next. The side cliffs, which is the area I'm happiest with, doesn't actually have anything other than base coat on it. Colours used on it, so far, are Gold Oxide, Yellow Oxide, Raw and Burnt Sienna. All good rich Australian ochre colours. I've really just puddled the colour on allowing each to bleed into the other. I tend to use darker richer colour in deeper, shadowed areas, and let the colour dribble away to noghtingness leaving basically the tinted jointing compound. From there I'll do a very light puddled wash of darker browns, again with the burnt sienna, and some burnt umber for depth. On these Grampians sandstone cliffs I'll be using very little Raw Umber, it's too green. Never, ever use black!!! But that's just me, an aversion left over from art history at school and uni (the impressionist school of painters were the first ones to avoid black). Believe it or or not, if I want more depth than I get out of the wash of dark browns I'll add an extra wash of prussian blue and purple in some of the places I want deeper. Once dry I'll dry brush patches with more yellow ochre and good raw sienna. Final touch will be some light dry brushing with a light yellow ochre and warm white mix, and a little pink mix of burnt sienna and warm white.

The ones on the back cliff (earlier posts) are done exactly the same way with a darker base and heavier handling of colours.

At this stage, I have to say, its worth investing in a few tubes of good artists acrylic or guache paint. When I say good, I mean good. At least student quality not the stuff from the 2 dollar shops. That supercheap stuff is fine for tinting the jointing compound, but its full of defloculents so it doesn't make for good washes (it lathers like soap). Also the colours aren't true to their label. I'll admit, I've got a collection of Windsor & Newton and Rowney brands, but they're all at least 10 years old. You'll always need to use less of good paints, because the colours are more intense.

Oh. And I forgot, good soft brushes are a must for washes. Soft nylons, or preferrably squirrel or camel. Red or gold sable if you're feeling really rich. Again, a good brush will last a lifetime if looked after. Goathair brushes aren't bad either but they do drop hair occasionally.

Ok. Lecture over. :D Somebody kicked out the soapbox.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Well. I wandered in to the bungalow this morning to do some more work on the track and those vandals had been back again.

vandals.jpg

I think I may need to put some security lighting under there. I finished the main undertrack construction with some ibeams.

top_string.jpg

Safety barrier installed on the top deck. Posts are 5mm square balsa (I actually split them from 15mm square) cut to 40mm lengths and drilled from 5mm at 10mm centres. Possibly not quite right spacing, but it looks ok. Cable is actually 4 ply 10amp fusewire that I don't need any more since I got the house re-wired. Overkill much? Ah well. It may not work in the long run, but it's an experiment. The scatter is dark brown Heiki gravel which I picked up. It's an almost perfect colour match for the printed gravel. The edge still needs cleaning up, there's a lot of loose gravel there. This gravel will be used a lot to blend the printed edge into the rest of the scenery.

Here's todays work looking pretty(ish)

topdeck.jpg

Top deck.

upanddown.jpg

Bottom deck.

Looking forward to finishing the blocking in of terrain so that I can do a plaster coat over the lot. Getting tired of the polystyrene snow everywhere.

It's probably time to leave this end of the track and concentrate on the other end, which is harder to work on 'cos its backed into 2 walls.

Controllers are ordered, power supply is waiting beneath the table. Much work to do. But it's happening, at last.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Embs, I too think the balsa won't do the job... but it's all a learning process.

The fences are fine, good use of materials on hand I reckon!

Bloody vandals... are the local coppers allowed to use tazers? :lol:

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Ah well. I can change it later if needs be. Plus if I have to, it'll give me an opportunity to retension the cables.

On the bright side. Vandals are less trouble than Visigoths. Ever tried cleaning up after those guys? Spare body parts everywhere. Very messy.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg