Ember

The Moment You're All Not Waiting For

Cam, it's really as simple as painting lines with a fine 0 liner brush. Long fibre makes it easier to produce a continuous line. Just used artists acrylic carbon black (yup, pure black for a change) mixed with water. Just building up the intensity of colour on the cracks where it seems to require it. The stronger black meant for less bleeding which kept the lines finer.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Embs, been too long!

I've just gone over the last few pages (I've missed a lot!) and WOW!!, your detail work is right up there!

I hope you've posted your progress on the 'other' sites... I see Brad and Jim shaking their heads too!

Well done!

I like the suede treatment... looks just right for the road surface.

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Thanks Dick. Been missing you round here boyo. Good to see you drop by even if it is for sad reasons. Any nibbled on your track?

There has been one advantage to writing scenery articles, the track gets work done on it as every story requires a build.

Still posting progress on a couple of other sites. But Brad has not been seen in a year or so. Bill (jmswms) is still hard at it on a commissioned track.

Time passes. Faces change. People move on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Track's sold Embs!

Will be moving it out in the new year, the new owner will organise a truck and I have some re-renovating to do!!! Gotta knock out a temp wall and then rebuild it!

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Good news, but sad Dick. Your track is one of the ones that started me on this whole saga. But at least it will still survive somewhere.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

The little plastic plan....

The track is Scaley analogue.

The table is 3.5m by 1.5m.

The space is limited.

The plan is TyersTarga.jpg

The elevation variation is 300mm all up.

So. That's the plan. The table has been installed and will fold against the wall along the edge with the straight. The journey has commenced.

Embs

Do you have a parts list for this layout?

It's hard to tell a few of the corners...

Thanks Embs...

Here's hoping that I have enough pieces between my brother and I to build this layout as it looks great...

Had a feeling I'd posted it somewhere. Gee... I had to get out the way back machine and dig deep into the Photobucket, but I did manage to find it. Hope it helps.

TyersTargawithbits.jpg

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Cool, that really helped...

Looks like that image with the names is a slightly older/newer version as the straight sections are slightly different...

I had R2 22.5 instead of R3 22.5 and R3 22.5 instead of R4 22.5...

Hmmm, I've never even seen R4's here in Canberra, and the only R3 that my brother owns are the 'non-existant' 45 degree ones (Still can't find a mention of them anywhere on the net, yet we have 3 of them)...

For those that would like to try Emb's layout from post 1, it uses the following pieces...

• 13x (or 15x) Straight - Full (C8205)
  • 11x (or 7x) Straight - Half (C8207) (Including A powerbase)
  • 4x Straight - Short (C8236)
  • 9x R1 45 (C8202)
  • 22x R2 45 (C8206)
  • 3x R3 22.5 (C8204)
  • 3x R4 22.5 (C8235)

Note: 4x Half straights could be replaced by 2x Full straights...

You will probably have to order the R3 and R4s in. They are usually not available through toy shops and the like. Also not sure what sort of stock Way2Fast hold. Only been there the once when it was still owned by Steve and in the old digs.

If you can't get the guys at Way2Fast to order the pieces in I'd suggest ordering them from Armchair Racing or similar.

The layout only has so many half straights in it because that's what I had. There are several areas where things can be tweaked a little. At least part of the fun is in the rise and fall over the track.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Yes, I think you had 300mm of difference from the peak to the trough... That's massive. The most I've managed so far is about 150mm, and that was difficult without a mdf base for the track to sit on...

Speaking of rise and fall... Did you have a profile pic of your track? Or is that one of the 'damn room wall in the way' pictures...

It's one of those damn wall in the way pics, but I thought there was a patch together version posted in early pages. I'll check Photobucket and see if I have something to repost.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Thanks heaps Embs...

I am going to try to get the required R3 and R4 corners, and a couple of thick boxes for support and give your track a run...

Will possibly tweak it to work with what we currently have...

Oh, and It will have 4-5x Lane changers in it (one on each straight and maybe 2 in the main straight), and possibly a couple of curved crossovers...

I originally intended to convert to digital, but then I realised I didn't have too many places where a short straight leads into an R2 90. The XLCs are less of a problem.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I don't have any curved lane changers, but we do have curved crossovers...

And the nice thing about digital is that you don't need to run them in pairs...