The Moment You're All Not Waiting For

Ember

Well, if being published has done nothing else it has renewed the enthusiasm for getting the track finished. Unfortuately the area that is in need of work is difficult to get photos of for the same reason that it's difficult to landscape. But here goes...

Quite a deal of background work. Specifically some more FRocking and filling of gaps. At the moment most of the track has been 'terraformed' and is ready for paint and dirt.

01_under_fly.jpg

The area beneath the 'flyover' has been filled and the other side of the cutting has been FRocked. This leaves only the area of the 'flyover' and directly beneath its incline to be dealt with.

02_underfly_cliff.jpg

This is possibly one of my favourite areas of rock although it won't actually be seen much. It's been thrown together with leftover bits of foam rather than torn from a single piece. As such it actually comes up with more texture and deeper crevices than the rest. More realistic?

03_underfly_progress.jpg

When I say this area is hard to access, I mean it. It's difficult to give you a true idea of what I've had to go through to work on this area. Basically to paint it I've spent the day on tip-toes, half lying across one area of track trying to paint another area, whilst peering into a mirror trying to see what I'm actually achieving. Fun, huh?

04_underfly_progress.jpg

The paint is still wet and glistening. Colour in the photo isn't particularly good due to the tungsten spot lighting.

06_underfly_painted.jpg

Finished painting that particular cliff. Still the opposite cliff and more rock at the other side of the tunnel to be painted before attacking the ground.

I'm not sure that the end is nigh or even in sight, but at least it's a little bit closer.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I hate those hard to get at places... I reckon if you can't get round the back to see it, it's OK not to detail it. With the fine work you do on your buildings, the lesser detailed areas won't matter too much.

Keep up the great work Embs, everyone here knows how hard it can be to get big chunks of time to get it all done!

Thanks for the pics!

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

A bit more paint slapped around today.

07_underfly.jpg

All of the ground at table level has now been painted and is ready for dirt. This shot also shows the last area of cliff to be painted above and to the left side of the tunnel entrance.

08_underfly.jpg

The uprights supporting the track above are only temporarily sitting on the track. It raises the overhead track a little bit further so that I can reach in underneath it.

A slightly better image of yesterday's cliff.

09_underfly.jpg

And some blending in of new cliffs in the cutting at the rear of the tunnel.

10_cutting.jpg

Next lot of work, which will be dirt on the ground, will see the track out of action for awhile. So I figured I'd better stop here for now.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Inside weather today Embs.

Scenery looking good :rolleyes: - I find it relaxing when I get into it.

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Same as ever.... Dirt. :)

rock_dust.jpg

Decomposed Grampians sandstone, crushed in a motar and pestle and colour graded.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Time moves on... The table is now completely dirty or dirted or whatever. The only hole still to be filled is under the flyover and work has started on a retaining wall for that area. The only FRock left to paint is the small area above the tunnel and to the left of it.

I've been adding some further detail to a more few areas.

Started planting white posts.

15_whiteposts.jpg

5mm square section styrene cut to length. The reflectors are reflective vinyl, red on one side and white on the other. Grass is coloured sisal.

12_whitepost.jpg11_longgrass.jpg

It's finally starting to look a little less neat and tidy.

A few more trees have been planted. These were made ages ago but have only just found their way to the track.

A third tree added to this cluster.

20_trees.jpg

One at the other end of the concrete overhang.

19_tree.jpg

And below that at the front of the table next to the endpost of the fence the fallen tree has found a home.

14_goattree.jpg

13_goattree.jpg

At the other end of the track I've finally gotten around to adding some armco.

16_armco.jpg

It's amazing the difference that such a simple addition has made to the look of this bit of roadway.

17_armco.jpg

The armco is based on what Knoath used on WBV. Scaley armco has been split and attached to spruce uprights with dressmaker pins before receiving a quick spray of cheap silver enamel.

18_armco.jpg

Still trying to decide whether or not to paint the track. Strongly leaning toward the yes, but I'm concerned about longevity. It's not something I'm going to want to redo in a few years. But it will certainly bring the look of things back together again.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Wow! Some of your work is so realistic Embs. Great photography as well :rolleyes:

SWMBO just walked past and noticed your grass (she did mine) and was very impressed. Told her what it was and she said "Sticking it down??"

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Testing the usefulness of a new(ish) toy. Diffuser hood for my Speedlight (bounce flash). So, it seemed appropriate to use it to take some photos around the track.

mischief.jpg

These guys can only be up to no good.

ride_n_rally.jpgrally_n_ride.jpg

And some wild life has started to move in.

swamp_rubbish.jpg

fox_1.jpg

fox_2.jpg

6 X Hawkes Bay Champion

8 X National Champion

1 X Retired

Told her what it was and she said "Sticking it down??"

I've had to experiment on how to apply it best. To date the most successful option is run a good bead of thick PVA and stick clusters of grass into that. This is one of those times where the cheap, thick and goopy PVA is just the ticket. I did try applying the glue to the pinches of grass cluster, but it tends to give a really clumpy finish and doesn't get enough glue to hold to the track once dry. Putting the glue direct to the track allows the sisal to bed well and it can be spread out to fill the space. I'll try to get photos next time I do some.

I'm sure those two guys on the MX bikes are former Speedway riders.

Indeed they are. The New Ray bikes are just the ticket, but they come without riders. I was lucky enough to pick up some Britains riders on eBay. The pair of riders came with their speedway bikes (one of the bikes was broken) for around $5 (from memory it was about GBP3.20)

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

OK. Never easy to try and get overview shots of the track. Can't get a front on shot because I haven't got a wide angle lens and I can get far enough away from the track without climbing out the window. Lighting is best at about 11am as the sun streams in the aforementioned window, but here's some quick snaps taken at about 9:30.

23_overview.jpg

The small table between the front legs holds the power supply and a tray of supplies for quick car tune ups. And beneath the table is assorted junk.

24_farend.jpg

This one shows the last remaining area to see any kind of scenic activity. It also shows the armco up the winding road around the bald hill.

25_aboveoverview.jpg

From slightly above. Along the wall behind the track you can see the frame that supports the rear of the track for when it folds up (yeah, cos that's going to happen). The original intention was for this to contain shelving for bits and pieces that seem to gather.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

To quote someone else on forum recently, - that is looking fan-flipping-tastic.........:D

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I like the climbing switchback, a playground for the new SCX MGAs?

Definitely. Whenever I can afford to get my hands on them.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I haven't been back to look at early photos in ages. Yup. It's come quite some way.

Tracktests.jpg

April 2009

track_2date.jpg

November 2009

1002_overview.jpg

February 2010

The thing is, it really doesn't seem that long.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

• 3 months later...

There are some works going on at the Tyers Targa, although there is not a lot I can show at the moment. However, I do offer you a little sneak peek.

I've long been a fan of Banksy's rats. I like their humour and cheek. So as a tribute to Banksy and also to Melbourne City Council's "lost Bansky" which was "removed by accident" from a small lane off the side of Centre Way (which I used to overlook from the tea room of NAB Custodian Services) I present...

IMAG0203.jpg

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg