The Moment You're All Not Waiting For

Ember

This thread is probably way past overdue for an update. Alas there is not as much to show for the interim time as I'd like. So, let's see what's new on offer.

Finally there has been a front face added to the table. So that has meant filling was required between the edge and the existing terrain.

front_fill.jpg

The gap was packed with offcuts of expanding foam kept in a box under the table against such need. Then topped off with joint compound. It'll be blended in with existing colour and texture once dried.

Plaster has finally been added to the far right corner.

plaster_atlast.jpg

This is one of the last major areas of bare polystyrene finally covered.

Enough boring background bits. On to the fun stuff.

There's been some planting going on. A couple of trees that had just been sitting in place on the track have now been permanently affixed and some dry grasses added around the base.

1004grasses.jpg

1004grasses2.jpg

1004planting.jpg

In accordance with my 'track on a budget' the grasses are the cheapest option I could come up with. A roll of sisal string for $2.00 will provide enough tall grass for a plethora of tracks. The natural colour is perfect for dry Australian summer grass. And being a natural fibre it should accept a dye quite readily.

Another couple of completed gum trees have been planted in amongst the boulders on the inner corner.

inner_cnr.jpg

gum_cnr.jpg

The grass is again sisal string, this time dyed with a very wet mix of olive green acrylic paint. The grass at the base of the trees is a mixture of the green and a smattering of the natural sisal. The string has been combed out with a pet grooming comb and glued into holes drilled in the terrain surface.

And some more long grass....

dry_grass.jpg

This time a little different. It's Woodland Scenics Wildgrass, in light green and beige. $7.99 a pack. I'll use this very sparingly and only in the very front of the track. It's actually too fine to show well in the distance.

And lastly.... Some work on the tunnel...

This is what it looked like the last time you good folk saw it.

before_light.jpg

But now something has changed.

look_light.jpg

Let there be light!

low_light.jpg

Three bright white wide angle leds have been added to the roof of the tunnel. I'd rather a warmer light, but the wide angle leds are hard to get in anything other than cold white. I have wondered about a light coat of clear yellow paint over the lenses but I'm not sure if its worth the fuss.

I think that about brings the saga up to date. Immediate plans are for a third tree in the inner corner. And some rich green reeds will be planted in the 'swamp' area before a couple of layers of water can be added.

Thank you for sharing the journey.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

This thread is probably way past overdue for an update. Alas there is not as much to show for the interim time as I'd like. So, let's see what's new on offer.

Finally there has been a front face added to the table. So that has meant filling was required between the edge and the existing terrain.

front_fill.jpg

The gap was packed with offcuts of expanding foam kept in a box under the table against such need. Then topped off with joint compound. It'll be blended in with existing colour and texture once dried.

Plaster has finally been added to the far right corner.

plaster_atlast.jpg

This is one of the last major areas of bare polystyrene finally covered.

Enough boring background bits. On to the fun stuff.

There's been some planting going on. A couple of trees that had just been sitting in place on the track have now been permanently affixed and some dry grasses added around the base.

1004grasses.jpg

1004grasses2.jpg

1004planting.jpg

In accordance with my 'track on a budget' the grasses are the cheapest option I could come up with. A roll of sisal string for $2.00 will provide enough tall grass for a plethora of tracks. The natural colour is perfect for dry Australian summer grass. And being a natural fibre it should accept a dye quite readily.

Another couple of completed gum trees have been planted in amongst the boulders on the inner corner.

inner_cnr.jpg

gum_cnr.jpg

The grass is again sisal string, this time dyed with a very wet mix of olive green acrylic paint. The grass at the base of the trees is a mixture of the green and a smattering of the natural sisal. The string has been combed out with a pet grooming comb and glued into holes drilled in the terrain surface.

And some more long grass....

dry_grass.jpg

This time a little different. It's Woodland Scenics Wildgrass, in light green and beige. $7.99 a pack. I'll use this very sparingly and only in the very front of the track. It's actually too fine to show well in the distance.

And lastly.... Some work on the tunnel...

This is what it looked like the last time you good folk saw it.

before_light.jpg

But now something has changed.

look_light.jpg

Let there be light!

low_light.jpg

Three bright white wide angle leds have been added to the roof of the tunnel. I'd rather a warmer light, but the wide angle leds are hard to get in anything other than cold white. I have wondered about a light coat of clear yellow paint over the lenses but I'm not sure if its worth the fuss.

I think that about brings the saga up to date. Immediate plans are for a third tree in the inner corner. And some rich green reeds will be planted in the 'swamp' area before a couple of layers of water can be added.

Thank you for sharing the journey.

Embs

Nice work Ember

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

Thanks fellas.

Let's see if this works. Picked up an inexpensive video camera recently. What better to test it out on than the track.

Me driving, His Lordship behind the camera. The track is running in reverse to it's normal direction and the Ford GT was just the first thing that I put my hand on... and it sounds sick.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> Edited by Ember

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

... and it sounds sick.

Well it is a Ford ;):lol: :lol:

Very good work Embs. I like the Grey Gums. What did you use for leaves?

Quality of the video came through, better than when we used our normal camera.

Flipper

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Guess I should've expected that response Flipper... But wait 'til the Moggie gets out.

The leaves are Noch Leaves in olive and light green.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Guess I should've expected that response Flipper...

My dad used to tell me "never miss a slice off a cut loaf"! ;)

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

Nice work, keep us updated. I agree about the lighting,I brought 100 HI leds,but the white light just does not work well as track lighting. Then two weeks ago I won some figures and seats on Ebay and included in the package was a free gift of 20 Grain of wheat 12v globes,I have used then as some pit lighting and the warm colour works really well.I am usually not a fan of GoW globes but the colour is just what I wanted. I will post some pics when I get the rest of the lighting completed.

A little bit more gardening around the track over the weekend. Some reeds planted in the swampy area.

swamp_rd.jpg

swamp_grass.jpg

The swamp grass is once again sisal string dyed with acrylic paint. This time soaked in a strong but watery mix of Hooker Green overnight. Dried, combed, cut and planted with PVA glue.

sunset_drv.jpg

The swamp grass is considerably more green than the grass around the base of the trees, which was dyed with Olive Green.

thru_trees.jpg

ford_swamp.jpg

Now that the reeds are planted I can, hopefully, fill the area with water.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I have to say I am blown away at the level of detail and beautiful work that has gone into the making of this amazing circuit. First class! What type of car is that little old timer soft top in the pictures above Embs? That's so sweet and fits the scenery so nicely too.

Great work,

Perro

Thanks fellers.

Perro, the '36 Ford Roadster is my first kitbash attempt from a Lindberg kit.

damp.jpg

Some better photos of it here. I'ts not done many laps of the track yet. I don't think this one will ever be anything more than a Sunday driver. Needs a good deal of attention to get it to handle rather than just fall over the first time it sees a bend. Oh, and thanks to SlotsNZ for providing some tyres that fit beautifully.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

A little bit of rain overnight in 1:32 world...

first_pour_shallow.jpg

rising_damp.jpg

First pour. Still wet in these photos. I've chosen a can of semi-gloss clear wood varnish. AUD 10 for the can, so it fits nicely into the budget. Will see how it looks as it dries. Originally the intention was to tint it slightly with a little burnt umber. But when I opened the can it was quite brownish. The decision was to pour the first layer and let it dry to see how much colour it has when dried. If the colour changes as it dries, I can tint the second layer and then top off with subsequent clear coats.

This is how it's looking currenlty.

first_pour.jpglancer_water.jpg

I've also been working on some more trees.

tree_st1.jpg

Bare wire. This is the first one I've tried with exposed roots. Not sure how successful it will be.

tree_st2a.jpg

The same tree coated in hot glue to give it some extra thickness. At this stage the trees have a pin/nail added to the base to help hold them in place on the track. Instead of nails, I use the cut off ends from pop rivets, just because I can and they're free and they'd otherwise be thrown out.

tree_st3.jpg

From there it gets coated in good old plasterers joint compound. Tinted slightly blue silver/grey and thinned slightly with water. Brushed on with a round bristle paintbrush. They'll take several coats before painting.

So, thats where things stand currently. The swamp is drying and slowly shrinking. Will get some photos of what is left of it when it is dry so I have a comparison.

Thanks for your time.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Thanks Ember,I really enjoyed those shots and video.

It was like a trip to Aus without leaving my chair.

The video worked well but I couldnt figure out the track layout at the other end.

regards

John

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

A little bit of rain overnight in 1:32 world...

rising_damp.jpg

Just be careful doing the next layer in case a croc comes out of that drain.

looking brilliant lady!

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Just be careful doing the next layer in case a croc comes out of that drain.

Probably Tiger or King Browns out that way!

Great job Embs :nice: - look forward to the pics of the finished trees with the exposed roots.

A thought for the swamps. Another layer of darkened varnish then a layer of clear or the one you have just used.

Flipper

Thanks folks.

SlotsNZ... No crocs. They all choked on the snakes.

Flipper, that's the plan. Coat of tinted dark brown then more coats of clear.

Cheers

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Love the trees

Did something similar a while back ..... wire, 12mm wide masking tape, wood putty then paint

7f08e4dd.jpg

pot scourer pads for the foliage

Rough, but they break up the xmas trees that make up most of the forest

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Hey Embs, love the latest batch of trees... I can appreciate the time and effort involved.

The drain is a brilliant addition, the grasses nearby add to the scene nicely.

You're doing a great job of bringing this place to life... hope you find plenty of time to keep at it!

Cheers,

Dick

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Thanks boys.

I got home from work tonight and there was a present waiting for me on the track.

security_lights.jpg

His Lordship had installed security lights under the flyover. Hopefully that'll keep the vandals away.

They're wide angle LEDs mounted inside boxes made of the textured edges from a CD case.

But when night fell, the bloke in the hot hatch was back.

damp_night.jpg

It's a simple photo, but I'm really happy with it. The slight gloss on the road and border looks like its been raining.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Another not quite update. A little bit of video. Warning, it's full resolution, unedited, unciompressed and unadorned. Straight from the camera from this evening's play session. Even has the original dodgy audio. (Sorry, someone was interested in seeing what my vid camera could do. Trouble is, I don't know myself yet.)

The 'stars' are two SCX 4WD Rally cars, the Citroen C4 and the Soda Fabia.

Not sure why it is, but my driving ability seems to disappear as soon as there's a camera nearby.

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1300" height="765"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1300" height="765"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg