The Moment You're All Not Waiting For

Ember

Track laid out and elevated for primary testing. Seems to work be working well. Might need at least one power tap dropped in. Seems some small amount of drop out on the high straight.

Tracktests.jpg

Shoot, I wouldn't like to get in your way out on the motorway, . . . . you don't muck about do you.......

Why do these photos alway seem to include beer bottles? :aussie:

They are known as "liqud enthusiasm" and are required to lubricate the brain and prevent it seizing up mid-project

Shame on me that it's bought stuff.

.......Embs

You're not telling us you brew you own hooch as well are you...............

Let's tally up the list so far.....

she drives a limo

she makes slot car tracks

she brews beer

You don't by chance own a boat, and know how to fillet fish do you?

Embs, there's a couple of hundred guys here that would like to ask your husband a question

...... "does she have any sisters?"

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Let's tally up the list so far.....

she drives a limo

she makes slot car tracks

she brews beer

You don't by chance own a boat, and know how to fillet fish do you?

Embs, there's a couple of hundred guys here that would like to ask your husband a question

...... "does she have any sisters?"

One small correction required to the list....

Limos: I own 3. I don't drive 'em. Someone's gotta keep it all sorted as to who goes where and does what.

Boat: no

Fish: yes (Though who really wants to ruin a good fishing trip by catching any?)

On the sisters side of things... No. 'Fraid not. I've only got brothers. Isn't it obvious? :aussie:

Cheers

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Notes for landscape consideration.

TyersTargaLandscapingnotes.jpg

Might have to be trial and error on the build. So far everything's been donated, or rather scrounged. Chipboard for table, mdf support for track, polystyrene and foam for landscaping.

Trying to get a decent shot of the layout from front of table, but due to small size of room can't get back far enough. And don't have wide enough angle on camera lens. Might have to wash window and take a shot from outside.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Ember -

What software did you design this in? Any chance of getting the plan file?

We just finished our extension, and the far end of the upstairs is 3.5m wide. My (AWESOME) wife painted the back wall British Racing Green with a white racing stripe down one side. She's all for a full-on layout - after we re-wall the south side of the house and lay new floor in the sunroom.

Just to make some of the other guys in the thread jealous, on our honeymoon we visited the Peterson Museum in LA and spent two days camping on the infield of Lime Rock Park during the Vintage Festival*. So Ember may not have sisters, but female car lovers (or tolerators) are out there. Ya gotta bring it up early in the courting!

Matt

*pics on enginemusic.com

Matt,

Track layout was a composite of trial and error layout on the floor, with favourite bits kept from each progressive layout. The final layout as you see here, was done in SLOTcar MANager recording what was on the floor so that it could be ripped up and the table built. Layout was tweaked slightly in the design proggy to allow for areas where the track had been accidentally stretched a bit.

My little track is intended as a challenge track to keep me interested. Not that I have a low attention span at all, but I know I lose interest with things that I find too easy. Been evolving this track on the bungalow floor since Xmas.

Here's the layout complete with track references:-

TyersTargawithbits.jpg

Quite sure you'll do better...

Embs

Edited by Ember

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

No probs with the elevation changes to date. The SCX Moggie is about the lowest car we have currently and it breezes through, well, until it decides that it'd rather have it's butt out in front and snaps its neck in a nice spin. His Lordship is finally learning a bit of subtlety on driving some of those tight-in quick-out corners. For some reason those catch him more than the others do.

On this layout I've made the curve off the back straight faster with a R4+3+2 combination. It used to be a pair of R2s with a half straight in the middle when the track was doing its rug evolution. Can actually almost get to full tilt (scaley style that is - not super fast like your speed freak cars) across the top straight and into the drop off. Then haul out the anchors for the drop away.

I guess I've cheated a bit for smoothness and simplicity on the elevation changes. The whole track is supported by a 3mm mdf base, which will support borders and run-off when I get them happening in the next stage of development. And Scaley track is nice and soft and distorts well with some encouragement. May not have the hump-back available in Sport track, but who needs it.

The big thing is I don't have a bunch of Scaley borders to use, nor do I want to shell out a fortune to use Scaley borders on this track. I don't want the full width of the plastic borders all the way round, there's some places they need to be wider, some narrow enough to tempt people into trouble. At the moment I'm planning on cutting and sculpting mdf borders. Problem is 9mm wont give me the twist I need in some spots, its also a tad higher than the track. 3mm would mean a couple of layers. Any ideas what I can use to keep life cheap but still not sacrafice a good drift?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Any ideas what I can use to keep life cheap but still not sacrafice a good drift?

I tried a few things, MDF included, and finaly gave up and bought a bunch of Scaley borders. SXC borders are thinner but you'd have to paint them to suit. I had some success using foam carpet underlay, covered with cloth and painted.

Edited by chilla

Cheers,

Charles

"all I want for my birthdy is another birthdy" Ian Dury...bless 'im.

Any ideas what I can use to keep life cheap but still not sacrafice a good drift?

The core board of old real estate signs are about the right thickness. Usually pretty easy to come by...

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

The core board of old real estate signs are about the right thickness. Usually pretty easy to come by...

D'oh. Corflute. Now why didn't I think of that. Easy enough for me to get. I work for a sign co afterall.

Hmmm. The corflute we use is 5mm - Scaley track height is 7.5mm. I did think about compressed styrene board which is available in a 6mm, but I've got buggerall chance of convincing my boss to order me a sheet of that. Got jobs that've been hanging around for 3 months or more cos the boss won't put in a plastics order.

Some one somewhere suggested neoprene, but I haven't been able to source it in sheet form in downtown sticksville.

Chilla: Painting SCX borders wouldn't be an issue, 'cos I'd be painting the Scaley ones anyway to make 'em look more like gravel. But buying them is. Been doing the rounds of garage sales here when weekends allow and in 4 months I haven't seen a single piece of slotcar track. Not even AFX.

Looks like I might have to go down the work and grab some corflute off-cuts to see how they go. Always open to more suggestions for scrounging. That way there's more money to spend on cars!

Thanks guys.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Ember -

Did you attach the track to the base in any way to get the elevation changes to blend nicely?

If you need to get mdf to bend, maybe lamination is the key? Not being familiar with what the builders yard stocks, if you can find 2.5mm you could lay down one layer at a time until you get 7.5? Was just at builders yard today but was more interested in soffit and fascia at the time...

Did you attach the track to the base in any way to get the elevation changes to blend nicely?

Currently the track is just sitting on the top of the contorted mdf. Sitting pretty well. There are a couple of pieces of the track that have been given a gentle bend or twist to sit better. All pieces will eventually be attached to the mdf bed, current plan is scaley track clips when a pack turns up to try. I have to attach the track in the long run, cos the table is designed to fold up to the wall.

If you need to get mdf to bend, maybe lamination is the key?

Laminating mdf is a possibility. Though not one that I relish.

Actually, I'm wondering how smooth a finish I can get on a polystyrene surface, layers of PU paint required no doubt. Skid area is really the only problem that I haven't managed to solve satisfactorily yet. And believe me, I've been thinking about it since first putting the Top Gear track together on Xmas day. There's just gotta be something simple that will turn up that I've been missing.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

A better shot to give an idea of the elevation changes

Trackshot1.jpg

This is the track layout in total... sorta

Trackish.jpg

After a weekend spent in the quarry FRocking, this is the start of the cliffs for the back straights

frocking_cliffs.jpg

frock_cliff.jpg

(Again with those stray bottles)

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Frocks aren't my thing... ;)

You probably don't have the legs for them B)

I've had the 13 yo 'stepson' land on the doorstep for the second week of school holidays, and watching him destroy 1 car in the first 30mins on the track I'm thinking keeping things as soft as possible is the right idea. The FRocks are essentially only for the two main cliff faces at the back straights. The choice was largely cos they're not easy spots to get too and the less repair work they're likely to need in the future the better. It also seemed like a good way to knock over a large area of rock work on a very limited budget.

As most of you have already probably discovered, the ability to use the track without scenery, slows the evolution of landscaping. I have the weekend to myself coming up as His Lordship takes the boy home to Rosebud. So, hopefully some progress will be made.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

As most of you have already probably discovered, the ability to use the track without scenery, slows the evolution of landscaping. I have the weekend to myself coming up as His Lordship takes the boy home to Rosebud. So, hopefully some progress will be made.

Embs

so sorry, we neglected to mention .... "just one more, just one more lap" - it's harder than giving up the baccy... only known cure is to dig a hole halfway to china in your backyard, put the power supply in a plastic bag, throw it in the hole, fill in the hole, and try and remove all trace of where the hole had been.

When the scenery is done, buy a metal detector and exhume the supply.........

some really have it bad though, there have been cases around here of people pushing cars around the track making vroom vroom noises....... no names of course

Edited by SlotsNZ

Embs

so sorry, we neglected to mention .... "just one more, just one more lap" - it's harder than giving up the baccy... only known cure is to dig a hole halfway to china in your backyard, put the power supply in a plastic bag, throw it in the hole, fill in the hole, and try and remove all trace of where the hole had been.

some really have it bad though, there have been cases around here of people pushing cars around the track making vroom vroom noises....... no names of course

Woof Woof Arf Arf dribble slobber

Embs

Woof Woof Arf Arf dribble slobber

I was going to make a comment here then realised my track is also still bald..... B)

Bad drought down this way and grass wont grow.... ;)

"When you're racing, it's life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting"

I could hide all the cars. That might get re-kindle his enthusiasm on the Ocar build.

But that's against the Geneva Convention, isn't it?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

The task of landscaping continues....

Q) What can you do when its cold, dark and wet and you want to stay warm by the fire?

wirewoundtree.jpg

forest.jpg

A) Grow trees.

Thanks to Knoath for the his how to. Just at wire armature stage at the moment. I did have a play at coating one in hot glue. It has the advantage of staying flexible to allow trees to be adjusted in shape during installation but it uses a lot of glue (no major biggy I guess seeing as the local tight-wad shop sells the stuff) and I'm not sure if it will accept paint. Will test it out when the acrylic paints come out to paint the frock cliffs.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Ran some relatively successful tests of corflute for borders and skid room. Took a few layers of d/s tape to raise it up to a suitable height to allow for lack off thickness. The corflute I'm using is 5mm thick, the only thickness we use at work. The thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it was white. It comes in a bunch of colours, but again we only use white at work and I'm on the scrounge.

So, what to do? Paint it? Achievable, and I may yet do that. But it would need drying time. And I needed to see something happening NOW. I get a little frustrated if I can't see things moving forward. So, I made use of some time alone at work and printed a sheet of dirt/gravel, laminated it and applied it to some corflute. Looks ok. Only down side is that it's a little glossy. I could have used a matt laminate, but I was concerned about it having more grip. Nothing worse than having a good slide going and striking a sticky patch.

Borders cut and laid around track at the return bend between straights.

corflute.jpg

A closer shot of the 'dirty' corflute.

dirtycorflute.jpg

Fiddling with some landscape for this area.

policerover.jpg

The drift cars and Morgan are inclined to drop off on the inside here having slowed for the downhill, outward bend before the tight inward and powering on around this one back up the hill.

This one gives a better idea of how much climb in this section.

landscapingcommences.jpg

And another of that whole section

the_bend.jpg

I'm thinking of running some rock cutting around the steep front of this section. The back area of it will be a grassy slope.

Will hopefully get the cliff on the top straight completed and installed next weekend.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

B) Sorry to disappoint. I knew I forgot something!!

Was only caffinated bevvies on the menu for today's effort.

But here's a shot from last night's tree making session to keep you going. :arggg:

coopers.jpg

Cheers

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg