Earnhardt fan

Burnt Chips

I have recently converted from Scalextric Analogue to Digital, all the new Scaley DPR cars updated with the easy fit plugs & working fine, have done lots of research, obtained photos and wired my SCX with digital plugs but every one of the simply goes up in smoke, one car did make tree laps before dying, what could I be doing wrong? :clap:

The SCX website says that their analogue cars are not suitable for conversion to digital.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I have recently converted from Scalextric Analogue to Digital, all the new Scaley DPR cars updated with the easy fit plugs & working fine, have done lots of research, obtained photos and wired my SCX with digital plugs but every one of the simply goes up in smoke, one car did make tree laps before dying, what could I be doing wrong? :clap:

I burned a few chips on an SCX about a year ago. Took out the motor and ran it in a glass of water with about a tablespoon of metho for 15 mins at low voltage. Dropped it back in, rechipped it and have been running it for at least 12 months since with no problems. In fact motor seems to run smoother.

Dropping them in water is a good idea....The deeper the better ! :lol: :clap:

"You Maniacs!.... You blew it up!.. Ah, damn you!...God damn you all to hell! "

I have one SCX car, an F40 and I have had no problems with it, I have to admit that it is very slow and to be honest a total waste of time, but that would have been the case if it was anolog anyway....SCX are just S#$T!

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

I do not have any SCX cars however have burnt a few SSD chips due to over lubing motor which created a short in the motor (hard lesson to learn).

The motors would run on analogue but would burn out digital chips, solution was to get new motors however do not exceed 22,000 RPM as larger motors will burn out SSD chips. SlotiT chips for SSD can apparantly handel 25,000 RPM motors however. (RichG's work on Slotforum)

To check if motors had a short I would rewire to the guide & bypass the chip and use analogue powerbase to test motor and look for sparks (the blue looking sparks are bad).

RichG on Slotforum has developed a mod to bring burnt out chips back to life and handle larger motors however all my attempts to do this mod have failed as there is some serious micro soldering involved.

Anyway I would check out the RPM on the SCX motors & check for any shorting.

Cheers

Phil

Cheers

Phil

Need to know RPM of motor before saying a word here. Mag or non mag?

Any motor over 18K Ive ever ran with SSD blew the chip within hours. Some guys amazingly have ran up to 25K but that depends on type of track, magnets used and voltage used.

Phil it wouldnt be a short but extra resistance (electrical resistance).

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

The SCX website says that their analogue cars are not suitable for conversion to digital.

Embs

Probably because you cant retrofit the solenoid easily.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Phil it wouldnt be a short but extra resistance (electrical resistance).

Rick,

You just don't know how much I would love to understand all this stuff, off to google "electrical resistance" now and keep the learning curve steep.

Phil

Cheers

Phil

I suspect that the digital circuit is marginal in being able to supply enough current for the more current hungry SCX motor. Buy a N-channel power MOSFET and connect it as a source follower. Positive output of digital circuit goes into the Gate, Drain to 12V and the Source goes to the +ve motor terminal.

cheers

rick1776

Easier to put an 18K Mabuchi in, hmm doesnt the SCX motor have a longer can?

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Ok, so most seem to agree that the SCX are rubbish, but I have been collecting Scaleys and the SCX Cars for years, SCX because they have a larger range in the NASCAR series past & present, really dont care what I spend on a couple of prescious cars (Earnhardt Snr) to run them on my digital track, would be happy to replace the motors if need be, Slot It does a motor Replacement the SIMCO3 but she spins 29000 RPM by the sounds of it this will also burn the Scalextric chips, I have bought a Slotit Digital chip to install to have a look but the LED on these are fixed and I have no idea yet whether the lane changes will work as good as the Scalextric,anyone tried these chips???

Edited by Earnhardt fan

Best chips by far !.....Only had one fail and was using that one to drive a 40.000 NSR( :o ) with the twin chip mod. Obviously unsucsessfully..... :(

Actually, the chip still sorta worked though not to full throtttle..

I've extended the LED by using one off a burnt scaly chip once or twice as well....seems to work.....

"You Maniacs!.... You blew it up!.. Ah, damn you!...God damn you all to hell! "

Slot It does a motor Replacement the SIMCO3 but she spins 29000 RPM by the sounds of it this will also burn the Scalextric chips, I have bought a Slotit Digital chip to install to have a look but the LED on these are fixed and I have no idea yet whether the lane changes will work as good as the Scalextric,anyone tried these chips???

Hiya

Slot.it do that motr and adaptor, but it is pretty "hot" makes the car too fast to run against other NASCARS, and even with the Slot.it chip, that oldr V12/2 motor draws about the same current as the new yellow bell V12/3 motor, so it is at the top of hte handling range for the SLot.it chip.

The adaptor can be bought separately, so you can use other S-Can motors, but they need an extra long shaft or the motor just doesn't reach into the gear to align everything.

Rick (either Rick) - what about throwing a few diodes across those 29K V12/2 slot.it motors to tame them ? can you suggest a common diode to drop the voltage. Probably needs "a handful per car" to knock the volts back from say 12 to 9, to level those cars up.......

Alternately, maybe someone knows of a longer shaft 18-20K mabuchi motor.

Edited by SlotsNZ

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Why put diodes in series. All that would happen is that you would reduce the output to the motor? Fit a FET. It as three legs labelled Drain, Gate, Source. The +ve output of the chip goes to the gate. The Drain is connected to the +12V directly from the flag and the source is connected to the +ve of the motor. The -ve connection from the chip goes to the -ve of the motor or directly to the -ve of the flag.

I am assuming there is always 12V on the track rails with this system and that a signal is superimposed to tell the different cars.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResults.as...mp;form=KEYWORD

Try a BUZ71, its complete overkill and costs about $5.

cheers

rick1776

Cutting power to protect chip by any method will also cut performance.

Either use a Slot.it chip or change the motor.

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Thanks to everyone, bought the slotit motor with adapter plates, wacked it in with a slotit chip and she is travelling a treat at the moment.

Cheers and thanks again

Rick, I know the voltage is stated on the scorpius thread but what RPM motor will yours handle?

www.scorpiuswireless.com