kpphotos

Power Supply

2 seconds - didn't realise it was that long on the APB6!

Remember that a standard fuse is designed to carry the current it specifies. The fuse generally won't blow until about twice the current is drawn. Speed of blow then defines how long it'll need that doubling-up for. And actual current is affected by ambient temperature (quite drastically) - if its colder, then more current can be carried.

For a guide, take a look at http://www.littelfuse.com/data/zh/Product_Selection_Guides/Fuseology.pdf

Ian

Edited by MIH

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

Thanks Ian,

Its always great to hear your ideas , I always assumed ,like many I guess, that a 10amp fuse, blows at 10amps

As a qualified woodworker all this electrical/electronic stuff is new territory to me ,but very engaging :-)

www.sydneyslotcars.com

A pleasure Drifter :)

2 seconds - didn't realise it was that long on the APB6!
It was not on our spec sheet for design parameters but it was definitely on theirs. They had a lot of critisism for the powerbases going into overload so easily (necessarily so on the C7030 and 4PB to protect the mosfets) so they wanted robust for this new APB, and robust meant it would flinch at a short. If you get a chance Ian I dare you to try and trip an APB, it takes a lot of nerve to hold a screwdriver across the rails for what feels like hours... :wacko:

Riko

Edited by RikoRocket

gallery_4291_493_4007.jpg

.............................PM me for C7042 Aux to PC cables............or Pit-Pro...

If you get a chance Ian I dare you to try and trip an APB, it takes a lot of nerve to hold a screwdriver across the rails for what feels like hours... :wacko:

Riko

Well I guess its a bit better doing that with it, than having it sitting in its box unused - like mine has spent its life... A horrid piece of kit.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

Well I guess its a bit better doing that with it, than having it sitting in its box unused - like mine has spent its life... A horrid piece of kit.

From a user (intensive) point of view I disagree - apart from disadvantages of the fan noise & the 60's style display, I've had a year of uninterrupted daily use from the APB without any problem (with the awallace firmware of course) despite some rough treatment & shorting it out occasionally. And to have analog and digital available without swapping units is particularly valuable now that I realise I can't keep shelling out for chips for the inevitable just one more car addiction. €99 well spent!

Edited by chris99

Yup, and many people agree with you - but you all have had to spend extra $$ (or EUR) to upgrade it with cable and firmware that actually worked. AND you needed to know that a.) you could upgrade, and b.) how to go about it. So in reality, it probably cost you closer to EUR130 and a bunch of time.

But you nailed it with your statement of 60's style display! The whole thing has a use and feel of a badly executed retro wannabe... hardly an attractive piece of contemporary tooling. And considering the effort spent of designing the cars, manufacture and quality result produced, the APB6 seems like its been created not by good designers but by bad engineers. So much opportunity lost... and by a toy company, which arguably should have more aesthetics personnel than an art college.

Electronically its good, but upgrading is required. But for some reason Scalextric does not provide this (or mention it) at all. They don't even sell an official after-market cable to connect it to anything to even do the upgrade...

I hung out for it, got one of the first in the country, and regretted it ever since because after 5 laps it had already miscounted to 8. Suffice to say, mine did about 20, then it went back in the box. What was the affect on other consumers, I don't know. Maybe its only bought by those 'in the know'.

Ian

Edited by MIH

Yeah I'd forgotten about the cost of the cable and I agree that I'm coming from the limited-population hobbyist end of the spectrum which is probably not where Scalextric will make its big bucks. For the average "not-in-the-know Joe in the street" I agree it is a poor product - when I was debating whether to spend the money to upgrade I remember seeing a comment on Amazon from a disappointed parent who had spent most of Xmas morning just trying to fathom the menu maze which is far from being intuitive.

Maybe Scalextric will wake up one day to realise the one touch smartphone generation is upon us. I have always been surprised that I wrongly assumed my kids would enjoy fiddling about with the software and hardware innards of PCs as they grew up - which was a necessity in the 90's to get them to work better (or just work!) and do things with them that were never envisaged, and it was fun. Instead the latest generation expect things to just work now and most don't want to spend time getting their hands dirty but just move on the the next thing or download another app at the push of a button.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by chris99

Well the proverbial is about to hit the fan as up to now only the aftermarket C7042 has been available - and that is gonna be to mostly enthusiasts - but now the first set with it included is on the street.

According to reports it comes with a DVD to show you how to set things up. I guess that is a copy of the great videos that Mr flippant did in the USA.

We told them to fit a backlit full colour TFT display so that the display could be user friendly. But the decision was made to go with the unlit LCD thing to save a dollar or two at the time when the target retail price was half of what it finally appeared at. For the want of a nail...

Ian, you ought to just get your money back - they have had virtually no returns to date.

gallery_4291_493_4007.jpg

.............................PM me for C7042 Aux to PC cables............or Pit-Pro...

Hey Ian,

Happy to swap your 6 car pb for my 4 car hardly used one :-)

Let me know if you want to 'discuss'

Drifter

www.sydneyslotcars.com

Question Do the scaley LC's only run on AC from the rails or can you power them independently with DC?

Drifter

www.sydneyslotcars.com

By default, the LCs pick their power from the track. Its a relatively simple modification to lift the red and black wires off the track and connect them to a separate 12v power source. The good thing is that you don't have to worry about polarity of the power to the LCs as they are already set up to handle this, so either AC or DC will work.

I started doing it, then stopped. If you have a bigger PB (like APB6 or PB-Pro S-H) then the extra power available to the track negates the real need. Purists, though, would continue to have separate power on their permanent layouts, but for rug-racers its just a big headache.

Ian

Thanks again Ian.

I wondered if the Lc's would ignore LC requests if they didn't see ac on the rails, i.e assume analog mode and go into standby or something.

Thanks for clarifying

Drifter

www.sydneyslotcars.com

The LC has no need to read the track, as the decision to flip lanes is actually defined by the car through the ID LED. Its an interesting concept to read from the track - i wonder if that's how other manufacturers do it...?