Woodbrook Valley

knoath

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I believe that the water tank is a bit of corrugated craft paper wrapped around a cardboard tube painted and painted with aluminium paint (same as the drain on my track). And the rust is dry brushed rather than airbrushed, cos I don't think Dick has an airbrush.

Initial pics here

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Actually, I believe that the water tank is a bit of corrugated craft paper wrapped around a cardboard tube painted and painted with aluminium paint (same as the drain on my track). And the rust is dry brushed rather than airbrushed, cos I don't think Dick has an airbrush.

Correct and incorrect Embs!

Yes, the method is spot on, Yes I do have an airbrush, but I've been lazy and haven't standardised all my different fittings for airbrush, nail gun, stapler, tyre inflator... blah, blah, blah!

Thanks for the nice words Dave!

Brett, the 'lid' on the tank is just a circle cut out of card, then 'pulled' togethe to form a very slight cone, painted with a spray can of aluminium.

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Who said there weren't any creases? I ended up with one and it's round the back! ;)

Sorry about the lack of how to's... but it's just wrapping some card round a tube!

C'mon KK... you can do it with your eyes closed mate!

I think the fact it is a small corrugation may help.

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

• 5 months later...

This will be one of the last videos of Woodbrook Valley... some reno's around the house will mean the track has to go, so a new smaller track will be built soon.

Hope you enjoy this one.

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

This will be one of the last videos of Woodbrook Valley... some reno's around the house will mean the track has to go, so a new smaller track will be built soon.

So are you selling it or discarding it?

Unfortunately the track wasn't built to be moved, so I will be retaining the wiring, the timing system, scenery etc and the braid for the next track. The rest will go in the bin.

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

That looks excellent.

Just one thing though, I take it from the design of your layout, you never plan on moving house... ever?

Why's that Schuey?

Just one thing though, I take it from the design of your layout, you never plan on moving house... ever?

Why's that Schuey?

Don't get me wrong please, its just that if a move did arise it doesn't look like the setup would be able to be moved easily, that's all. It waould be a shame to have to pull the thing apart to move. I know alot of layouts are like that, and as is always said 'to each their own'. I made mine to be removal friendly, mainly because being military I cannot always be guaranteed being in the one place forever. It has turned out that way though, but we have moved three times in the last 5 years, but that was through our choice alone to get into bigger places. Anyway, I digress...

I can't wait to see the scenery come together, especially after your last effort. :D

I can see what Schuey means - it's already looking BLOODY permanent - like a kitchen renovation or a bathroom.. and you're not there yet!

Perhaps we can start a whole new house market for SlottyHolics?

I see what you mean Schuey.

Nope, no plans to move mate. But it wouldn't be hard to move it. The individual tables are screwed together, so they're easily unscrewed.

The track itself is cookie cutter style, so it's screwed to the elevation risers... the risers are screwed from underneath, so they're easily unscrewed.

The table tops are screwed to the frames, so they're..... you get the picture.

Got the second coat on, used a roller and it looks OK.

We'll see what it looks like tomorrow when it's had time to dry.

The boss has some work set aside for me round the house this weekend, so getting it wired up this weekend isn't looking good.

Oh well... I have been lucky to get quite a bit of time spent out there this last fortnight, so I can't complain.

More as it happens.

When I saw the above YT clip labelled last from Woodbrook as it was being torn down, this conversation came to mind. Oh well, look forward to the next one, as yours seem to get better with every attempt.

knoath, on 21 May 2009 - 08:32 PM, said:

I see what you mean Schuey.

Nope, no plans to move mate. But it wouldn't be hard to move it. The individual tables are screwed together, so they're easily unscrewed.

The track itself is cookie cutter style, so it's screwed to the elevation risers... the risers are screwed from underneath, so they're easily unscrewed.

The table tops are screwed to the frames, so they're..... you get the picture.

Got the second coat on, used a roller and it looks OK.

We'll see what it looks like tomorrow when it's had time to dry.

The boss has some work set aside for me round the house this weekend, so getting it wired up this weekend isn't looking good.

Oh well... I have been lucky to get quite a bit of time spent out there this last fortnight, so I can't complain.

More as it happens.

When I saw the above YT clip labelled last from Woodbrook as it was being torn down, this conversation came to mind. Oh well, look forward to the next one, as yours seem to get better with every attempt.

Schuey, If all the scenery (plaster and grass etc) wasn't attatched it would be OK... but to dismantle it now to transport it there would be too much damage to make it a worthwhile excercise.

Thanks for the kind words mattie4270.

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Shame to see it go, DIck!

I love the audio for that video clip...did you recognise John Laws saying "Makes a man feel ten feet tall" half-way thru?

Classic (audio and track!)

I'm sure the next one, whatever size, will be also impressive.

Cheers,

Count

mt1135840120-1.jpg

Ask not what MDF can do to you, rather ask what you can do to MDF!

I guess Schuey's basically saying 'I tolja so'. But, darn, you haven't even finished building it yet. Bloody renos. You've got beds for each of you. You've got a track. What more do you need?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I guess Schuey's basically saying 'I tolja so'. But, darn, you haven't even finished building it yet. Bloody renos. You've got beds for each of you. You've got a track. What more do you need?

Actually Embs, I was trying not to say that. Its unfortunate that all of his work cannot be saved. Never mind the cost of materials used, but the time and passion that went into it. I just don't know how he could do it. Imagine if you had the crush that little outback garage that you have just finished? I know if this layout was mine, I would find it extremely difficult to destroy it.

Edited by schuey19

Truth be known Schuey, I've actually been considering dumping it all and starting again. But I do know what you mean. And even from here it's going to be sad to watch it go.

And so I repeat: What needs renovating? You've all got beds. The roof don't leak. The walls are all doing the job of holding the ceiling up. Why renovate?????

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I could just picture the guy in the polo-neck jumper and his hounds-tooth interior.

:lol: I know that guy. He still wears a mullet.

The Aussie muscle are so suited to WBV.

When do you have to pull the plug on it Dick? Have you got time to give it a proper sendoff?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Does this mean no more Dickens cider

Probably right if he doesn't do the renovations :P

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg