Powering Lc's

fordmanau

Hey guys,

I have the d3800 power supply(3-15v 25amp) for my track. Want to power my LC's separately. I have 5 straight LC's and 2 corner LC's. My question is can I use my old scaley power supply for all 7 of them. Or use the 13.8v from my d3800 to power the LC's while still using it to power my powerbase?

Thanks for your time

Wade

If you use your standard Scaly power supply to power them all, although it will work for the most part, you will find problems if cars hit different LC's simultaneously, as combined, the current draw from all the LC's will be more than the standard 2.5A the Scaly PSU can supply. You really notice it with 4-6 cars and race conditions as opposed to running casual laps.

I would use the D3800, worked perfectly well on my old layout, with similar number of LC's - and still power the track from it too.

If you use your standard Scaly power supply to power them all, although it will work for the most part, you will find problems if cars hit different LC's simultaneously, as combined, the current draw from all the LC's will be more than the standard 2.5A the Scaly PSU can supply. You really notice it with 4-6 cars and race conditions as opposed to running casual laps.

I would use the D3800, worked perfectly well on my old layout, with similar number of LC's - and still power the track from it too.

Okay thanks for that mate. Just one more question though. With the D3800 should I use the 13.8v connection on the front for the LC's? Or use the other connection which I would be running at 15-16 volts. Thanks for your advice

Wadde

shows how much attention I paid to the output on my D3800.

I thought it was variable, but the speaker terminals limited the current to 5A, and the banana's had the ability to tap the full 25A

When I had digital, my powerbase was pre the simple-H upgrade, so the powerbase was limited to 2 x 2.5A inputs - so I fed the 2 input sockets from the speaker terminal outputs.

I then used the banana's to feed all my LC's.

Hope that helps.

And now I must go and check my D3800 - as I'd never realised their was a 13.8V fixed output - mind you, mine dates back to 2004 I think.

Okay thanks for that mate. Just one more question though. With the D3800 should I use the 13.8v connection on the front for the LC's? Or use the other connection which I would be running at 15-16 volts. Thanks for your advice

Wadde

Yes you can do it many ways =)

The banana terminals on the DS 3800 deliver 25A, the other little ones are rated at 3A (as far as I know they give the same voltage as the banana terminals). Its not 13.8V fixed, rather 0-20V. (Says 3-15V on cover)

If I was you Id use the DS3800 for the cars, that way its variable AND regulated.

Use the 2.5Amp Scaley wall wart for LCs, good for around 5 LCs, after that get a 6 or 10 Amp 12 or 13.8V supply for LCs.

The 6A version of the DS3800 (Not sure of the code number) has the little outputs at 1 amp.

Edited by aussieslotter

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 2 weeks later...
Don't you guys find it annoying to have to make all these upgrades yourself ?

I'd say its a challenge, not annoying!

I have tried to make things better my whole life, never happy with the std version, I'm an engineer so I find myself tinkering with everything, take my track...I wanted a routed track but digital took my interest so I have a digital routed track....annoying, the wife might think so :D;):lol:

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Thats why Im developing Scorpius =)

BP, modifying is a choice, and a only a tiny percentage need to or want to. Want a better track, you go routed timber, you do it yourself, want your car to go faster you work on it, trying different tyres, weight, motors, gearing etc.

I remember my first car, new camshaft, extractors, new carby etc, we do this not because we want more than the manufacturers can supply. Remember all slot car sets and most componentry are toy level, not professional level.

And you do it because you love the hobby, hardly annoying as when you turn your track on after modifying you grin from ear to ear.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Yes I'm over it. I brought a set,thought it would be great to have two lanes 4 cars but was I mistaked overload to start with so you go to a forum and they suggest power to the LC then which I purchase a power supply next is the slave which I purchase (didn't work ) so back to square one next is the probase which sounds great but I can't justify the expence for the amount of time I'll use it.I think you need to be very handy with electric and understand all the jargon to go with it as for me I struggle with it all.

Steve

I'd say its a challenge, not annoying!

I have tried to make things better my whole life, never happy with the std version, I'm an engineer so I find myself tinkering with everything, take my track...I wanted a routed track but digital took my interest so I have a digital routed track....annoying, the wife might think so :);):P

You call it a challenge, I'd call it annoying..........a flaw.

Thats why Im developing Scorpius =)

BP, modifying is a choice, and a only a tiny percentage need to or want to. Want a better track, you go routed timber, you do it yourself, want your car to go faster you work on it, trying different tyres, weight, motors, gearing etc.

I remember my first car, new camshaft, extractors, new carby etc, we do this not because we want more than the manufacturers can supply. Remember all slot car sets and most componentry are toy level, not professional level.

And you do it because you love the hobby, hardly annoying as when you turn your track on after modifying you grin from ear to ear.

Yes, I'm amazed at what you have done with Scorpius. I to tinker with components to track and cars, but to have to hard wire a power supply to each LC is ridiculous.

Yes I'm over it. I brought a set,thought it would be great to have two lanes 4 cars but was I mistaked overload to start with so you go to a forum and they suggest power to the LC then which I purchase a power supply next is the slave which I purchase (didn't work ) so back to square one next is the probase which sounds great but I can't justify the expence for the amount of time I'll use it.I think you need to be very handy with electric and understand all the jargon to go with it as for me I struggle with it all.

Steve

Sorry to hear about your problems, I'm glad I did my research.

Yes, I'm amazed at what you have done with Scorpius. I to tinker with components to track and cars, but to have to hard wire a power supply to each LC is ridiculous.

You need to get the facts right before posting as I dont think you did your "research" on this one. :P

Scorpius Lane Brain LC electronics can be powered directly off rails, actually any voltage from 8-18V.

You are referring to an old specification.

Check the Scorpius website specs.

This thread was to help Fordmanau out, nothing else.

:)

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

You need to get the facts right before posting as I dont think you did your "research" on this one. :lol:

Scorpius Lane Brain LC electronics can be powered directly off rails, actually any voltage from 8-18V.

:aussie:

So you don't need to add additional power to the LC's when running 6 cars well on a large track?

And personally I think Pauls track and passion for the hobby is to be commended, onya Paul :mosh::

Thanks Rick :lol:

You need to get the facts right before posting as I dont think you did your "research" on this one. :lol:

:aussie:

So you don't need to add additional power to the LC's when running 6 cars well on a large track?

The decission you need to make is are you wanting to "Play" with a "toy" or do you want to race scale cars or create a scenic masterpiece. if it is racing you are after then use the orgiginal power supply for the LC's, I ran a two core loop around the under side of the track and I have taken the power for the LC's and the street lamps from that. I have a variable regulated Power Supply for the Power base. it is that simple, 6 cars no problem. :D I will not change anything when I convert to Scorpius. B)

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

You could run 24 cars and 32 Lane changers powered directly off the rails :aussie:

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Well that is one way :angry:

Does Scaly provide a way as well?

I thought you did your research? :(

As you dont like upgrading as you stated, no.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Well that is one way :angry:

Does Scaly provide a way as well?

I thought you did your research? :(

As you dont like upgrading as you stated, no.

Its not upgrading, its fixing the original system.

Edited by B.P.

Have to disagree here.

The SSD system does what its designed for, runs 4 cars, changes lanes, counts laps with lap counter.

Same with Ninco, SCX and Carrera.

But as you stated you dont agree with upgrading (or fixing, whatever) to get it up to adult enthusiasts level so perhaps analogue would be a better option for you :angry:

Perhaps better to start a new thread as we are way off topic.

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com