Springbok Racer

Panpacific All Japan Plafit Championship 2009

Hi guys

Following to good showing of Ausforce at the 2008 PanAm in Chicago last October, Mr Nori Ono, CEO of Beaver Corp (and owner of Plafit) in Japan, extended an invite for the team to attend the inaugural PanPacific race. This invite was channelled via Acehobbies (the Australian Plafit distributor) and so Werner has decided to join in the fun. The racing will be for the new Plafit F1 class and the new 1700G S24 type chassis. Have a look at these links

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...microsoft:en-au

http://www.sigmahobby.net/idx_d/idx_e/panp...ation_v8.2e.pdf

The four of us have decided that the only track in Australia which represents the closest to the HotStage Japanese circuit is Peter's Mobile Raceway Kingelman down in Melbourne. We will be testing on this track next Tuesday and Wednesday. Peter has graciously agreed to reduce the power to 12volt (as this is the voltage used in Japan) for us to have the best chance at replicating the upcoming PanPacific. Here are two of my cars that will be tested:

IMGP2090.jpg

.............and another view

IMGP2093.jpg

If any of the local Melbourne Model car racing boys are around on Tuesday night, pop in at Mobile Raceways in Dandenong and join us for a chat. If you guys have any model car questions, please come and ask them, we would love to help if we can.

Regards

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Nice looking cars Jan

Hope you all have a good run in Japan

I will hope to get to Coomera at the next meet and catch up with you, been busy with work...... :)

Hope you guys bring home a trophy as you all deserve it

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Hi guys,

Thanks Paul and Dennis, at least we getting some Kiwi and American support via the forum. Having said that, it was good to catch up with Mark, Greg and Dave at Mobile Raceways on Tuesday night. Always good to see you guys. Also it has to be said that running at Peter's place is always a pleasure - wish we could have such a great commercial centre up in Brisbane.

Testing went well. The cars gradually got sorted and from an initial 6.7 on the GT's we got them down to 6.1 and the F1's from an initial 6.5 to 6.0. Our main concern is the minimum weight of 175grams for the NSX as the Cheetah motors did not like that at all. This become very evident during a 5x8 rehearsal run as the reliability was not good. However, we are aware of the Jap's running their own rehearsal race this coming weekend so if they come to the same conclussions we can expect some remedies being introduced.

It also became very clear that the new Plafit F1 chassis and the new 1700G S24 bottom plate are both fantastic new additions to the already all conquering Plafit range. Together with the new odd number-of-teeth-gears the range is simply getting better and better.

Over the next two weeks we will be building the final F1 bodies and the two team racing GT's. Expect some photo's before we leave for Japan on the 18th.

Regards

Jan

Hey Jan

The new F1 chasis looks great can I ask what bodies you run on them?

Is the new base plate you mentioned the aluminium one?

Looking good as usual

Your even getting me interested in building a couple of plafits for the scale nats

Cheers

Pete

Keep it in the groove

Pete

I dropped into MR with my son on Wed as I had the day off work. Seeing these guys race the things that stood out were how quiet, smooth and FAST these cars were. Great to see the track time paid off in the lower lap times - hopefully you guys will give the other teams a run for their money.

Like you Re-pete I am now thinking about acquiring a couple of these Plafits - but I really need a bigger home track to get some fun out of it.

Good luck!

Steve

Would liked to have been able to get down to MR for a few lesson's, i'm just starting to get into the Plafit chassis (hence the new 4 lane track with 105mm centre's) and have 6 to date, 2 built and 4 bare chassis's, i was hooked when i seen the QLD crew racing on the Kingleman last easter.

I wish you all the best of luck in Japan, i'm sure team Ausforce will do well <_<

Edited by Davnic74

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Hi there again,

Pete, no the new alluminium base plate is only for 1/32nd magnet racing - you can tell easily as Plafit has made it red. Also thanks to you and the other boys for your kind comments.

We're all ready so here are a few more photo's:

Werner has done two chassis and two bodies. One BMW Sauber painted in Jordan livery (colouring is free for both F1's and GTJ's) and one Lexan practice body (we will probably end up racing these bodies here in Qld after the PanPacific event)........

Jordans.jpg

Andrew has built two BMW Saubers for himself and Simon and painted them in Jaguar and Red Bull liveries .........

100_2622.jpg

......not sure who will be driving which one yet, but as always both will no doubt be very quick. Andrew prepares all the cars that Simon drives and any of you that have been around these two guys will attest to the fact that Andrew is a formidable car preparer and Simon is an awesome driver. (I suppose that explains why I wanted to be in the Ausforce team with them, last year in Chicago).

100_2623.jpg

Here are my two BMW Saubers (not as colourfull as Andrew's creations, but fairly scale no less). I always try to build two chassis and two bodies for every class I run. Normally I'd have one practice body and one race body, but this time I've done two race bodies and will take a very basic practice body along too. We are allowed to enter a 'spare' F1 body, which can be exchanged during racing time if the driver chooses. Obviously when major body damage is sustained during the race ........

IMGP2114.jpg

..........the NSX in front with the proper Aussie flag (thanks Dave) and boxing Kangaroo (thanks Patto's) will be the Ausforce 2 Team's race body. Werner and I (Ausforce 2) have three chassis and two practice bodies. The boys who visited in Melbourne will remember the two yellow with floro green cars that we ran. I have prepared two of the chassis and all the bodies.

IMGP2117.jpg

All packed up, three NSX's and two F1's plus F1 practice body. In front of the carry case is my latest (and greatest) Czech built controller which I aquired and raced with in Chicago last year. It takes quite a bit of space, but for all the inconvenience is just an amazing device for delivery of input to my race cars ..............

IMGP2128.jpg

Rather late than never .......... here it is, the Ausforce 1 NSX (which I painted in green with floro yellow bits - opposite to the Ausforce 2 NSX - for the inseperable Andrew and Simon). Of course prepared and finished by the master (Andrew)...........

100_2639.jpg

Wish us luck and thanks for all the support, maybe we can do what Ricky and the boys have done in South Africa ;) .

Cheers

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

Hey Jan

What I was wondering is what are the bodies made from

Lexan? or Hard plastic? and where do you get them from

Pete

Keep it in the groove

Pete

Hey Jan

What I was wondering is what are the bodies made from

Lexan? or Hard plastic? and where do you get them from

Pete

Sorry Pete, obvoiusly missed your question. These cars are Tamiya and Revell plastic model kits ............. However, the MxLaren in my initial post is a Kyosha Mini Z body (it was only for practice in Melbourne, but is heavier and bigger than the Revell race bodies). Have look at the links in my first post for all the 'small' print.

See ya later

Jan

I am a slotter of Japan.

It participated in Panpasiin Japan with the member of Ausforce1 and 2 on March 21.

I think running with a coming from far friend to be honored.

Praise is sent to the ausforce member of gentleman behavior.

Thank you.

msw

Hi all

How was it, how did you go, you ask ............... well there is the long answer ........ and the short answer. I'll attempt a short version :lol: .

This was the track, 148 feet long (about 50 meters), 8 laner with colour lane markings as well as lane numbers (we missed the lane colours not being all the way along the lane, which made marshalling difficult if you were not marshalling next to a lane colour/number sticker on the track). Problems with the track and counting system were multifold; the bank had a big hump in it on the two inside lanes. The slot was about 4.5mm wide with the braid right to the edge of the slot, the lap counters did not count a lap after the end of the race - so any car coasting across the finish line was at the discretion of the race director to get that lap. The same situation existed when a car missed a lap due to a crash or passing through the finish line on the wrong lane. No 'track call' was being used, except during the F1 final. Marshalling on the driver straight was a big problem as drivers were not allowed to touch the cars and spectators were allowed to stand directly behind the drivers in what was limited space :D .

th_PPR-5.jpg

This was the pit area, in a tent that leaked during the rain, with a gravel floor - don't drop a screw or a spring ...... it's gone B) .

th_PPR-7.jpg

This was a practice cession, much concentration, lots of smoke and loud outbursts from a very enthusiastic crowd ;) .

th_PPR-6.jpg

This was final car prep time to fine tune the handout tyres (that came off the rims during the race), run-in the handout motors, fit the racebodies and make sure the car will pass tech control :( . All done by stopwatch and not an extra second allowed (except for a further 5 minutes after tech and if still not finish or cleared by tech, then during qualifying, and if still not done, during race time) This system hit the Ausforce2 car and Simon's F1. Our biggest problem for not getting our cars properly finished was the very unfortunate food poisoning that Andrew contracted on the night before the final prep and tech. Werner and I had to do both the Team Cars and all four the F1's. However they did give us an extra 20 minutes for Andrew's car, but without Andrew there it was never going to be easy ;) .

th_PPR-13.jpg

The races were started from the main straight. The GT's with power coming on when the final green light came on and the F1's were with power so one had to wait for the final green light before pulling the trigger. If you false started on the F1's, you were put back 4/5th of a lap. The pit lane was the short straight next to the main straight and served various purposes; warmup laps were ran from there, any work or pitstopping had to be done from there :D .

th_PPR-14.jpg

This was a common problem in the F1 races. In fact I lost the complete nose of my BMW Sauber and had to replace it under race conditions. The biggest problems during the F1 races were; no 'track calls', only two lanes raced during the semi-final and final and no staggered start (this was suicide) :D .

th_PPR-12.jpg

Winners are grinners ........ the local track owner and his mate won the GT event. It has to be said that the guys who came third (also locals) were unlucky to loose a piece of body that had to be replaced during the race. They were at least 6 laps ahead when it happened. In fact the first four places went to the local teams. The Ausforce1 team must get credit for a 3rd place qualifying, only 1 thousand of a second of the second qualifier. Ausforce1 ended 7th and Ausforce2 5th eventaully, after starting from pitlane initially. I don't think Werner and I (Ausforce2) could have done any better and Simon and Andrew (Ausforce1) would have deserved a podium, but it was not to be........... :lol:

th_PPR-17.jpg

The same happened in the F1 final, we got cleaned up by the local boys........... However, I can boast the fact that nobody bettered my 6.4008 laptime at any stage. Simon's drive from 23rd to 6th was a great achievement :P .

th_PPR-18.jpg

Our Japanese hosts were extremely gracious and very generous, these plastic kits were only a small portion of the heaps, simply given to us :P .

th_PPR-21.jpg

........... as a final word it has to said that the venue was the Plafit backyard and a certain research and developement track, the Japanese drivers were very good, very enthusiastic and very curtious when driving. They rarely knocked anyone off, so I have to apologise for doing it to two of them. As an inaugural PanPacific event they did themselves proud and have accepted all our input and critisism with grace an appreciation. Their organisation only fell down when they allowed the schedule to get away from them during the official qualifying and tech control :P .

On a personal level; thank you Mr. Ono for all your sponsorships (taxi's, flights and meals). We also wish to thank Mr Ono, Mr Banno and Mr Kudo for their help during Andrew's ordeal. All this during the early hours of Saturday morning which left all of them and ourselves with only 2 to 3 hours sleep. Our thanks also go to the track owner Mr Nabise for his wonderfull attitude and to Mr Akiyama for all his translation during some heated discussions, at times ;) .

The race result has been placed on the sigma homepage http://www.sigmahobby.net

We were told that Plafit will be building a special track for the PanPacific event and will erect it only for two events per year - one in Japan, and one in Australia. So watch this space ......... the PanPacific is coming to Aussie in 2010. Get your Plafit cars ready :P .

Cheers

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

Wow, can't wait to sit down with you and hear the long version B)

Well done guys, it is always hard to compete against the locals with their local knowledge, but you have as usual done us all proud.

Tell Andrew not to eat so much raw fish next time he is in Japan :P

Would be good to see the 2010 Pan pacific in Qld??? :P

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Nice to meet you also Jan, and Glad you liked the flag decals :angry:

Btw, can you pm me, and i'll send you my email address so i can get some more

information regarding the Plafit F1's bodies etc please.

Cheers

Nice to meet you also Jan, and Glad you liked the flag decals :)

Cheers

Is this Dave? If so, go ahead and PM me with all your questions. I will try my best to give you workable answers.

Cheers

Jan

Nice to meet you also Jan, and Glad you liked the flag decals :)

Cheers

Is this Dave? If so, go ahead and PM me with all your questions. I will try my best to give you workable answers.

Cheers

Jan

PM sent ;)