Cars You Bought That Go Better Than You Thought They Would

dangermouse

We bought them because we loved them and they didn't go so well so we bagged them - now it is time to praise them. Now we all know slot.its go well and NSR are built for speed but this it time to tell us about the surprise packets those cars you bought because you loved their looks or they held that special memory and you weren't expecting them to go that well and yet they turned out to be real surprise packets.

I will start the ball rolling

We all read about how the Fly Classics need tuning and they don't go to well etc etc etc - I bought 2 Fly 908/3 Martini cars because they looked really cool and I remember the Martini cars from when I was a kid. I wasn't expecting a lot out of these cars given how so so Fly cars are supposed to be and expected I would need to do a fair bit of work on them. Well they are a pair of gems - I love them they are right up there with our favourite cars to drive, I added my home made urethane tyres a good sand to true them up a little weight and they are quick, have good grip, look fantastic and go a treat on our routed gloss painted track.

cheers

DM

Hi mouse,

agree with you on the 908/03's.

My surprise pocket rocket is the Revell NSU Prinz TT.

With and without magnet, that surprises every day in the slot.

Read how people tuned and spend big bucks, to get the to their liking.

"If one does not fail at times,

then one has not challenged himself."

Ferdinand Porsche

SCX Alpine A110. I was expecting it to roll over and play dead at the sight of a corner, but it is remarkably stable for a narrow car. It is really fun to drive and can do very nice rally slides. :)

Snap. That was the one car that sprang to mind for me. I had to spend a bit of time blacking out everything forward of the "engine firewall" so that it didn't look like the engine was on fire every time you drove in the dark, but as a runner, all it needed was the gears lapped in, didn't even need a tyre change.

As you say, handles way better than it should........... a good lap time match for Ninco classics onmy track.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

SCX Alpine A110. I was expecting it to roll over and play dead at the sight of a corner, but it is remarkably stable for a narrow car. It is really fun to drive and can do very nice rally slides. :)

Snap. That was the one car that sprang to mind for me. I had to spend a bit of time blacking out everything forward of the "engine firewall" so that it didn't look like the engine was on fire every time you drove in the dark, but as a runner, all it needed was the gears lapped in, didn't even need a tyre change.

As you say, handles way better than it should........... a good lap time match for Ninco classics onmy track.

Yep, that and the R8. I was pleasantly surprised by them both. I took the magnets out of them to try on the Plastidipped Carrera and, while they might need a bit of weight to run non mag, I was quite impressed.

Cheers,

Charles

"all I want for my birthdy is another birthdy" Ian Dury...bless 'im.

Howdy

the Fly Ferrari 250lm was a surprise for me.

In standard cofig it goes reasonable well on my little home track (routed). It doesn't want to throw it self ofdf the track like some other Fly lemmings do and is quite nice to drive. I didn't even have to true the tyres.

Cheers Alan

For me, the white kit Slot.it R390 I got a couple of weeks ago is a real rocket and I love driving it.

For my 4 year old who go to pick out his first car on Saturday, the Scalextric Jag XKRS. I'm amazed at the grip it has even for a magnet car. Normally he runs the car off the first corner but the Jag just stuck to the track. Quite amazed.

"Experience is what you get just after you needed it." - Stephen Wright

I finally got my two Revell Galaxies to handle (up to a point) after I ground off the magnet housing and glued the mag on a piece of plastic behind the rear wheels and glued the front mag just in front of the hole where the origional rear mags were, now... if I could just get them to stop! :)

Mind you, the real cars weren't too flash with braking either.

For me the FLY Dodge Vipers have 3 all with Indy grips & a drop of glue to stop the drive shaft bearing jumping out & that is it. What weapons i love them.

my Viper is very noisy (I guess that is why the guy was selling it) I wonder if a new spring will help - it goes ok but isn't my favourite runner

any other suggestions?

cheers

DM

For me the FLY Dodge Vipers have 3 all with Indy grips & a drop of glue to stop the drive shaft bearing jumping out & that is it. What weapons i love them.

my Viper is very noisy (I guess that is why the guy was selling it) I wonder if a new spring will help - it goes ok but isn't my favourite runner

any other suggestions?

cheers

DM

Hi DM I had that trouble of it being noisy & I found (well actaully Roland @ slot shop ;) ) showed me it was the drive shaft. If you take the shell off and have a look the drive shaft runs through a bearing that sits in a U bracket towards the back of the car near the Diff if you like. well the bearing actually jumps out of the groove & with the drive shaft spinning makes a terible noise all I have done is a tiny drop of glue on the bottom of the U bracket & clip it back in. I found this to be a must with the Fly Vipers 3 cars & all did the same thing. However if not this mayeb check the running clearance of the front wheels as My Playstation viper the front right scrubs out on the gaurd a little.

Hope this helps.

Pommie

• 3 weeks later...