Sign in to follow this  
tvwino

Digital

I've noticed quite a lot of 'airplay' being given to digital on other forums, but haven't really seen much discussion on the subjuct here. It certainly seems to bring out plenty of opinions on the forums in Europe - people buying it, but plenty being critical of the current shortcomings.

My own opinion, is that ultimately it adds an extra dimension, and once the manufacturers have had a year or two, I suspect the limitations will be largely removed and racing digital will be just as popular as what we do today.

I've played with the SCX digital setup, and it is a lot of fun... but definately different, in a positive way. The main drawback with it, from my standpoint anyway, is that it has to be standalone and I don't want to be (can't in fact) swapping between that and my current track. seems Carerra is similar, although I have yet to play on that setup.

I guess being an owner of Scalextric Sport track, I am eagerly anticipating their 'Digital' roll out down here - if it weren't for shipping costs I might have bought from the UK - sods law, they released it the day after I flew back from a European business trip, otherwise it would have become my carry-on luggage. Digital is the only reason I have not swapped my track over to Artin this past 6 months.

I am still trying to figure out exactly how I switch Scalextric from Digital one minute, to Analog the next, as not all my cars can be converted to digital - and of course the power supply situation is different, and has caused me to hold off buying a dedicated external power supply until I understand how it's all going to work out.

I have recently put a permanent layout down, and must admit that I built it with Digital in mind, so have several 90 degree R2 curves preceeded by a half straight - so I'm ready for 5 lane change sections at the moment, once it finally arrives down here. Of course, I'm already looking forward to R3 lane change versions, hopefully a banked lane chage version too, then I'll be really happy and can get the most out of my layout. And then there's the potential of them releasing the working pit lane setup too... it never ends.

I got thinking though, that people were saying digital would likely kill off many of the 'open' car manufacturers, who don't have their own track system. while I understand their point, it would not be an overnight transition I'm sure, and then I got to thinking that wouldn't it be cool if Fly made a version of their new releases with a Scalextric Chipped version. Fly don't have their own track, but do sell Sport track as their own in their truck sets in Spain I think, so the relationship to Scalextric is already there. It wouldn't be stretching things too much would it, to hope that Scalextric would license the SSD upgrade kits to Fly to build into many of their new cars, perhaps once they've got a head start themselves of course.

I also wonder if we should follow Slot forum in the UK and create a 'Digital' topic section?

Cheers

Mike

Mike

I heard an ugly rumour this week that Scalextric were pulling their digital stuff off the shelves and doing some more development on it to include lane swapping on straights as well as corners, plus some other work on the cars.

Like i said, don't know how much of it is true.

I was/am looking forward to the Sports World sets myself but it looks like we may have to wait a while longer. :P

I had a short play on a SCX Digital set at a club meeting and we had a ball. But i would much prefer to wait for the Scalextric version as i believe the track is compatable with what i already have and there is a conversion kit for existing cars.

Cheers

Was :unsure:

I do not wish to hijack this thread but I thought I should comment on Scalextric Sportsworld

As over the past months I have been involved in the beta testing of Sportsworld software and hardware I can say for a fact that Hornsby (Scalextric) have been doing a lot of testing for their internet version of slot racing called Sportsworld

Sport World is a combination of trackside hardware i.e. base station and Sports track and PC software The base station provides digital control of standard cars and accurate feedback of each cars location on the track.

PC software provides real time 3D coverage of the racing on screen. The included software allows you to design and build circuits in 3D, manage your car collection, even monitor and tune your cars performance.

SportWorld is a multi lane racing system run over the net .Sportworld is a different and new system using conventional cars on a track with Digital power and control, the ability to link up and race over the Web with up to 7 other racers using the same track plan as you.

As design is not finalized on all of these items, some of this could change.

If you are interested check this link

Sportsworld

Charlie

Howdy guys,

Good points there.

Latest news I have today is that hopefully Scalextric Digital is targeted to be in store on the 21st next week, let's keep our fingers crossed. Aparently the container was delayed by 2 weeks...

Seeing 6 old Carrera Stock Cars on a scalex digital track would be fun :unsure:

Cheers for now

Roland

I do not wish to hijack this thread but I thought I should comment on Scalextric Sportsworld

Charlie,

far from hijacking the thread, I think it's great feedback. We have so many enthusiasts on this forum, and I know many of us end up looking at slot forum in the UK for much of this stuff - but getting info out on this forum is even better.

I'm still not entirely sure about SportsWorld, partly through ignorance, and partly because the website is not that detailed in its' information. Sounds like I should be picking your brain some?

It seems that Digital and SportsWorld are mutually exclusive?

Is SportsWorld using lane change hardware from Digital?

Is is just the control station that becomes redundant?

So cars don't need SSD re-chips to run under control of SportsWorld?

I'm not sure I'm too bothered about the online side of SportsWorld, but the rest sounds fun, and anyway, to get the software side running I'd have to buy a Windows PC - as I doubt it runs on MAC OSX does it? Which reminds me, anyone want an unused RMS system that doesn't support MAC OSX?

I suspect I'll be in that line at Rolands on the 21st though... Glad to hear Digital's not being pulled from the shelves down here just yet.

Mike

I heard an ugly rumour this week that Scalextric were pulling their digital stuff off the shelves and doing some more development on it to include lane swapping on straights as well as corners, plus some other work on the cars.

Like i said, don't know how much of it is true.

I was/am looking forward to the Sports World sets myself but it looks like we may have to wait a while longer.  :unsure:

Was,

from Rolands post, sounds as if we'll both be lining up to pick up digital on the 21st - glad it's not being pulled, but seems almost everywhere in the UK is sold out of the full set, and only conversion sets are left (which is really all I want).

I would expect them to add LC straights in the coming years 2005 catelog, along with plenty of other 'Digital' surprises that help enhance and further establish it.

tvwino

As I read this I have just received more Sportsworld stuff from the UK. Mate unfortunately I am not allowed to comment too much on the beta testing as I signed an agreement to keep my big mouth shut on certain things.

If you want to email me I may be able to better answer some of your questions but what I can say is expect to see updated information on the sportsworld web site shortly.

If you have used RMS, sportsworld software has a similar look and feel although it has more features. The ability to race others online is obviously a selling point so if you believe this is of no interest well make up your own mind.

Charlie

I talked with Vinno about having a separate section for Digital and that's easy enough to do. Do we want one? We'll put tvwino down as one for YES !!!

Charlie is in an awkward situation. I'm well aware how binding these NonDisclosure Agreements can be so he definitely needs clearance from Scalextric before he can post much info about future products. Even though we'd all love to know, he'll be under weird and wonderful legal constraints. But he may have extremely useful contacts... :P

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

Assuming we do go ahead with a digital section here I would think it would be good if Charlie could at least clear a few questions regarding this system. Charlie would be a bit more clued up than most of us on digital so it seems common sense to let him clarify the workings of the system.

When we set this up it may be an idea to set up a question section so we can get off on the right foot. We only require clarification of what digital is for those who don't know already. As far as any classified information Charlie will have to keep us guessing. I have been thinking about this for a while but as we are small compared to Slot Forum we have not worried too much about it. If members are becoming interested there is no time like the present to go ahead.

We did test a Carrera system a while ago which is in the review section but I think Scalextric are the closest manufacturer to having the right format for a digital system. When replacement chips are available we should be able to convert any car that will fit a chip.

I will start by saying that I am testing Sportsworld and not Digital they are 2 different products released in the case of Digital and yet to be released in the case of Sportsworld.

Here is what I know about Digital

If you can find a current issue of model car racing (issue#19) they have a complete comparison article of the three brands of Digital. I personally don’t have one but since they only have advertisers that make slot cars, don't expect much more than just the facts presented in a non judgmental format.

Scx has a lane changing solenoid in the car, operating a ram through the guide shoe, that opens the lane change.

The other two companies have the lane changing solenoid in the track, so fitting outside cars is an option if you can get a chip to adapt the car.

SCX requires scx cars, and that's it. It's not designed to run outside stuff.

Scalextric. An infra red sending unit, (like a TV remote) in the car shines onto a receiver in the track, activating the lane change solenoid. Carrerra does the same thing to change lanes, but the two companies do not share a digital language.

Ninco, I have not seen or heard what they will be doing as they are a little behind the rest but I would expect that they will get into Digital soon

Digital and Sport World look as though they will share a few parts the Interface Track looks to be the same, although the modules are different.

Power supplies and controllers should be the same type, although Sport World does not feature lane changing (Important point here guys).

Sport Digital is a six car two lane system, to expand past three cars it is necessary to use two power supplies.

Sport World will also work stand alone, however as part of the feature of this system is Racing over the Internet, a PC will be required to fully experience this interactive Racing Game.

Sport World is the Multi Lane racing over the net system.

Any cars can be run (Important point), and it uses Digital power and Control.

Sport Digital sometimes called Junior is the entry Sport Digital system that has been released .

Sport Digital Pro a bigger brother will come later, with more features (Important point), but is not planned to link up to Sport World (Important point).

Sport World is a different system to Digital and uses conventional cars on a track with Digital power and Control, the ability to link up and race over the Web with up to 7 other racers using the same track plan as you.

Scalextric Digital seems to have an advantage over other systems in that basically any car will be able to run on this system. There may be some issues with the guides, etc. but I suspect that this issue most will be able to figure out without much hassle. The critical point is that the electronics will be sold separately and other cars can be retro-fitted.

Guys here is a good link to various videos SCI did on Sports Digital they are basic but give you an insite on what it looks like and how it runs.

SCI Review on Digital

Below are some photos I have taken of my Sportsworld Base unit and hand controllers for those that may be interested.

mypic91.jpg

mypic93.jpg

mypic94.jpg

mypic95.jpg

I hope I have answered some of the questions but the main one is that Digital and Sportsworld while sharing some parts are different

Charlie

I'll be buying a digital set for certain. Given it'll be running as an oval I might try to set up some sprintcars & build a speedway - maybe an outer to inner LC each end followed by a crossover? 6 cars on a small oval would be chaos - actually that'd be just like going to the sprintcars! :D

I originally tried to design my Monza as a digital track but only have two greater than 90 degree turns (other than the banking).. One an L2 & the other an L3. I was pleased to see they're planning an L3 changer. I'm hoping they bring out straight LC's too! Hopefully by the time I get to build it the digital market will have shaken itself out a bit & there will be more sophisticated offerings about - like pit functionality.. :P

Anyhow - I find myself having to go to other forums to find out about digital but would prefer to be looking here if we're going to open a new section.

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

I will start by saying that I am testing Sportsworld and not Digital they are 2 different products released in the case of Digital and yet to be released in the case of Sportsworld.

Charlie,

many thanks for clarifying all this - helps me a lot, and answers a lot of questions that I'd not even known enough to ask yet :-)

The Digital stuff I think I'm basically on top of, but the who SportsWorld thing left me somewhat confused, until your enlightening post.

Vinno / Bump - yep, having a specific digital section gets my vote as you already figured.

Cheers again.

Mike