Arlington Park Raceway

dangermouse

I have painted and taped my track so I thought I would start a new thread now that it is up and running which will document the building and running from here.

I like the name Arlington Park Raceway - as we live in a newer housing area called Arlington - (I recall Matticus was going to use the name as well but I guess there will have to be two tracks as that is what I am thinking of calling it :()

IMG_1361.jpg

Track is a 3 lane routed on MDF lane spacing is about 90mm with around 60mm on the inside and 150mm on the outside. The plan is an adaptation of the Paramount Raceway track. Modified to fit into the available space. Width is 1.2m at the closest end and 1.8m at the far end length is 6.7m the main straight is about 4.8m...I have 2 squeezes one on the bridge and one at the far end as you come on to the straight. The track can be run in either direction at the moment I am undecided on which way I prefer.

It is nice and fast but you have to watch the squeezes and the turns - track was primarily built for fun - my children and I like to drive some cars. The wall behind can be easily removed if I decide to increase the size of the track - so that might happen next year :P

I would love to also make a single lane rally track so I have some ideas on how that might work - might be a case of watch this space -

Scenery I am planning a Le Mans like pitlane at the far end under the raised section, (where all the cars are) plan to add a lake at the far end and some hills and rocks and brick/rock walls etc and trees... the bridge will have a tunnel like opening either side probably with an stone bridge on top... I think it will be a case of putting in what I like the look of when I get to that part....

Lots more pictures of the building process to date.

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj113/d...er/new%20track/

cheers

DM

Edited by dangermouse

nice looking track mouse, long and narrow means less marshals required.

i like the way you put the straight at the bottom. a lot of builders tend to put the straight over the top and decreasing visabilities on the corners.

like the squeezes too. a job well done.

make sure you post a pic when landscaped.

Hey DM, great job so far! :o

What's the surface?

What tyres are you running

How's the grip?

Keep posting pics! ;)

Track is a lot of fun to drive -

The surface is Nippon paint gloss enamel (water based) I bought a 2 little tin of cream at the cheap paint section at Bunnings and mixed some black into it to make it grey. So it is glossy but not as shiny as Munter's track. (Which looks like it is two pack enamel)

I mostly run home made urethane tyres - grip is pretty good I will upload a video on the photobucket site soon...

I also have been happy with the grip on the new Scaley Nascar - light sand and the car goes a treat - little bit of slide but lots of grip.

A new car arrived today (Flyers Riley they look even better than the pictures) and out of the box it ran pretty nicely so with a light sand of the tyres it will probably go a treat... don't know if I will need urethane tyres on it....

I found I get a few wheel spins with silicones, but I haven't really tested them a lot as I only have them for the slot.it cars and they are running fine in urethanes so didn't see the need to change...

will keep updating pics as I go...

cheers

DM

Made a couple of videos tonight - first one is my son's Fly 908/3 with urethane tyres -no tuning as yet (weight sanding of tyres etc).. about 17 secs

th_DSCF0044.jpg

second one is same 908 and my Sloter Ferrari going around the big turn - very short 7 secs

th_DSCF0050-1.jpg

cheers

DM

Edited by dangermouse

Hey DM thats an interesting tape laying tool you have on your photobucket site. How did it work for you?

fairly ok - in some places it worked great and laid the tape very quickly in others I didn't use it with the guide pin running in the slot a lot probably because our routing was a bit so so :lol:

Where it was useful was in stopping the tape from spooling off the roll and getting all tangled up... I had an assistant as well which is probably the best help... but when he was out playing with his friends the tool kept me sane by holding the tape steady and allowing me to use 2 hands for the laying and pressing down of the tape. The little blocks on the edges are just held on with blu-tack that way I could easily move them in as the spool shrunk..

cheers

DM

• 2 weeks later...

That is a very nice finish there. I bet you're grinning from ear to ear.

So many great new tracks coming through on the forum, whatever happened to the track indec thread....

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 1 month later...

After driving on the track and looking at other tracks I am thinking of adding a banked turn at the end closest to the camera in the first picture. I like the look of banked turn on Sax's track...plus I think the track needs a little more length to it as I am running 5.5 sec laps now and I think it will look cool watching the cars screaming around the banked turn

would appreciate any feedback...

Do any cars have problems on banked turns? Sorry about the rough sketchup - don't worry about the skinny bits didn't want to spend an hour in SketchUp making it look perfect..

cheers

DM

Picture2.png

Edited by dangermouse

Just remember some of your Slot.its only have a mm or so.

Fly March 761 has less, the nose is nearly on the ground.. proably a few LMP cars with not much more than tiissue paper clearance above the track.

Its the amount of overhang either end of the wheelbase relative to the clearance that is the issue.

Edited by SlotsNZ

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

KarKraft :- hadn't thought of that but that isn't a big issue, I went the figure 8 cause I wanted a tunnel / bridge and some elevation changes and I couldn't come up with a better track plan (I based it on Paramount Ranch plan)

Of course the added bonus of uneven lap length is it might give me the edge over my son if he has to drive further - :P

will do some thinking maybe it is back to plan A - a twisting rally track around the outside with an wavy straight along the wall

sort of off topic - but have you seen Tortilla Flats track on SCI - wish I had seen that before I built my track - I love what he has done with the two levels of his track and he has awesome scenery :rolleyes:

SlotsNZ - might have to ask Sax if he has any clearance troubles on his track - I did have a banked curve on my Carrera track and I recall some cars scraped on the inside...wasn't planning to go that steep though...

cheers for the thoughts

thanks

DM

Edited by dangermouse

sort of off topic - but have you seen Tortilla Flats track on SCI - wish I had seen that before I built my track - I love what he has done with the two levels of his track and he has awesome scenery :rolleyes:

Do you have a link? I would be curious to see. tortilla flats is an actual town in arizona (where i am from). Lots of twisties, well known motorcycle ride I used to go on out there.

Map of tortilla flat

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sou...mp;t=h&z=16

Edited by gzminiz

SlotsNZ - might have to ask Sax if he has any clearance troubles on his track - I did have a banked curve on my Carrera track and I recall some cars scraped on the inside...wasn't planning to go that steep though...

DM, I have had a run on matt's track and can tell you there's absolutely no clearance issues... the banking finishes (correct me if I'm wrong Matt) about 350mm before the bridge - which has plenty of height anyway - and the cars have no chance of scraping.

PC011589.jpg

PC011587.jpg

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...