Sign in to follow this  
Freddy

Speculative Scalextric & Slot.it Prices In 2009

I'm sure one of the major sponsors will tell us soon enough but I was wondering what you guys think the price will be for Scalextric cars this year? My bet is that the price will be raised to $55 perhaps $60 for standard cars and between $110-$120 for the twin packs.

Formerly standard Slot.It cars were $69 and the Le Mans Winners series cars (not the triple packs obviously) were $75 so with the new standard price being $75 I would make an assumption that the new Le Mans Winners price would be $85. Your thoughts?

I may of course be completely wrong and the Scalextric cars end up costing $100 and the Slot.Its $200! :lol::D

At the end of the day as long as the prices are still reasonably affordable I'll be willing to purchase more slots in 2009! :lol:

Cheers,

Frederick

Heya Freddy,

happy new year. Actually, I was just thinking a few days ago, that you guys might have it pretty good this year. Your dollar has kicked away upwards again against the Euro and the US dollar, and those 2 currencies are key to landed product costings.

Certainly it is about 7 to 10% stronger than where it bottomed out at, a couple of months back.

What isn't known is whether base manufacturing and transport costs will rise for the makers, forcing them to increase the USD or EURO selling prices to the international distributors.

One one hand, international manufacturing demand is down due to the world recession, and oil prices are down with it, which SHOULD make factories keen to hold or even reduce production prices, to ensure steady turnover business and cash flow, but on the other, if production run sizes drop due to a sinking lid on demand, then overhead costs rise for both Chinese OEM factories; and for the Slot car companies in the area of recovering tooling up, licensing, design and other "up front" fixed costs......

Certainly, I don't think any rises that do occur will be tooooo steep, unless the Oz dollar and kiwi peso do another nose-dive.

Edited by SlotsNZ

Recovering Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Only problem with the dollar going up again is that some prices were due to go up before the dollar crashed so i can't see any downward pressure. Hopefully Slot.it will stay as is if the orders come in at the right time and maybe Scaley might go to $55 for standard and $60 for the V8's. The A9X will be expensive as most said they would pay big dollars for an Aussie classic. :)

Get Slotted, (large UK online dealer) is quoting £38.56 for 2009 scalex Pre-orders, which equates to $83.20 AUD. Retail Prices in high Street shops will be £40 or $86.3 AUD. (Sorry Mark, can't find the NZ$... :) )

I'll be VERY interested to see what they are going to sell for in Aus, might even be worth importing them from your dealers.

Also the American prices will be interesting, as they may be held pretty low to encourage growth in that market.....

Unfotunatley all my slotcar transactions with EU countries have flown out the window due to the parity of the £/Euro, so no more cheap Spanish deals........

to quote MUD.........."it's gonna be lonely this Christmas"

Regards

Alan

If you say that the Australian dollar is approximately double the pound then even at the older £28 price the Scalextric cars still equate to better value in Australia ($50 instead of $56) let alone with the price rises of, correct me if I'm wrong, £32 ($64) and £36 ($72). Australia had no price increases on Scalextric cars last year compared to the UK who had two (in January and September if memory serves me correctly). So why should this third increase effect the cost in Australia? Isn't there a chance it will just stay the same? :)

Or don't I understand finance/the economy well enough? :P

Edited by Freddy

Cheers,

Frederick

Sorry Freddy...The mechanics of financial markets are all beyond me I'm afraid.....but I think it has a lot to do with the collapse of the £/US$ against the Euro which I belive in turn effects other currencies........

Like America, Scalex prices in Aus may be held atrificially low to try and build up the market, hence the reason for no Aus increases last year...........so once again the much larger market in the UK has to stump up and pay to compensate for losses elsewhere because Hornby thinks it has a captive market. But for how much longer?

It would be great if you didn't have a price rise as it would make purchasing from Aus even more worthwhile.

Regards

Alan

WOW Alan,

I didn't know Scaley prices were rising that much in UK - and not surprised you couldn't find the kiwi peso, I keep looking in my wallet and can't find it either........:):P - for reference, it buys about 38P, and at present, about .82 of an Oz dollar.

Freddy, I have 30 years experience in importing, and I still shake my head in disbelief at some things that don't seem to provide parity or transparency between markets. :o - I mean across all sorts of industries, not slots in particular.

Scalextric prices for example have never translated directly from market to market by calculating exchage rates. (excuse that this is converted to the kiwi peso, it's just the base for me).

eg during last year.

UK GBP 28 @ 0.38 to NZ$ = NZ$73.68 less VAT content @ 17.5% 62.70

OZ AUD50 @ 0.85 to NZ$ = NZ$58.82 less GST content @ 10% 52.73

NZ retail price NZ$55 less GST content @ 12.5% 48.89

Now remember, UK is the biggest market, and NZ is a tiny, and physically isolated market, with high internal freight costs to boot for small orders, and retailers who work on low volumes, and generally higher mark-ups than other countries, yet it still had the lowest theoretical retail.

But those aren't extreme compared to some other things I have seen.

In the end, right across all industry sectors, manufacturers sometimes offer differing terms of supply to the distributors, based on what the maker and distributor negotiate, or what they jointly perceive the market can stand, or to secure the desired market share. That is true of many industries.

Then, individual distributors may choose variable margins depending on the raw realities of the internal cost structure to operate their company in it's trading environment. Finally, the mix of retailers who market a particular product, and the "sensitivities" of competition and access between them, and to international sources, will impact upon the retail prices they charge.

All we can ever do is approximate what might happen. It's never transparent.

I think that you are fairly fortunate in Australia, it seems your prices on most brands are quite good given that the product is often shipped back halfway around the world, involving time, freight cost and "money cost".

I notice that Carrera is pretty cheap in USA compared to other markets, and usually buy my cars from there ex a couple of reliable dealers, and Australia is the cheapest place in the world for SCX - at least for me to buy from, so I usually get my SCX from there.

[we don't have either brand available on retail shelves here.]

Edited by SlotsNZ

Recovering Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hmm, it appears that the pound symbols in my post have been replaced by a weird box symbol. Maybe it's because I copied the symbol directly from Beejay's post above and the forum can't properly display the copied logos. There's no pound key on my keyboard (hardly surprising though considering which country I live in).

I know, completely irrelevant to the discussion but sometimes I just can't help being a perfectionist! :D:)

Edited by Freddy

Cheers,

Frederick

Hmm, it appears that the pound symbols in my post have been replaced by a weird box symbol. Maybe it's because I copied the symbol directly from Beejay's post above and the forum can't properly display the copied logos. There's no pound key on my keyboard (hardly surprising though considering which country I live in).

I know, completely irrelevant to the discussion but sometimes I just can't help being a perfectionist! :D:)

Freddy, don't know what operating system you use, but on a mac it's easy, just select british keyboard layout (pull down option on top of my screen, next to date, user and network connection). You then just type the hash key (shift 3) to get a £. You can then just switch back to an Aussie one after that - dead easy, works in whatever program you're in at the time, and stays when you open new ones, until you switch back. I have UK, US and OZ keyboard layouts selected, and just choose between them when needed.

It's probably just as simple on a PC.

Thanks tvwino! :)

Yeah I've changed the keyboard layout to Japanese when I've had to type things up for school (it is the language I chose to study) so if I can get Japanese I'm sure British English would be there. I'll remember to use it next time I have to type the pound symbol...... or I'll just type the words "pound/s", it's all the same.

Sort of relating back to the topic, I remember Slot.It saying that they were going to release all the cars that won Le Mans between 1982 and 1991 (Group C era). Well, they've covered five of these ten cars and apart from the upcoming 1991 Mazda winner and, highly probably, 1990 XJR12 winner they'd have to release the Newmans 956, Rothmans 956 and Rothmans 962 again as each of these cars won twice (correct me if I'm wrong). Considering that virtually the same cars already exist as Le Mans Winners do you really think this is going to happen? Imagine getting a Newmans Porsche for the regular price instead of paying high prices on ebay.

Nothing about cost, I know, but I wonder how you guys see it. I never got any of the Newmans or Rothmans Porsches the first time so I'm all for it, just like I supported the idea of re-releasing the Audi as I also missed out on the originals.

Cheers,

Frederick

Sort of relating back to the topic, I remember Slot.It saying that they were going to release all the cars that won Le Mans between 1982 and 1991 (Group C era). Well, they've covered five of these ten cars and apart from the upcoming 1991 Mazda winner and, highly probably, 1990 XJR12 winner they'd have to release the Newmans 956, Rothmans 956 and Rothmans 962 again as each of these cars won twice (correct me if I'm wrong). Considering that virtually the same cars already exist as Le Mans Winners do you really think this is going to happen? Imagine getting a Newmans Porsche for the regular price instead of paying high prices on ebay.

Nothing about cost, I know, but I wonder how you guys see it. I never got any of the Newmans or Rothmans Porsches the first time so I'm all for it, just like I supported the idea of re-releasing the Audi as I also missed out on the originals.

I think they will, but bear in mind it's likely that only 1 winners collection edition is released per year, so it'll be a few years yet.

I was looking through my collection, and sort of grouping them in years, working out what was still likely to be released.

I believe Maurizio would like to release all the winners in the collectable packaging, but the goal is also to cover all the Le Mans group C podium cars.

So there's even more Rothmans liveries (4) to be done in that case, plus the '85 Newman - bring them on, more is good, the differences in livery, while subtle, are welcome as far as I'm concerned. I'm looking forward to the Skoal Bandit from '84, and loads more Jags would be there too (well, at least 4).

It would also indicate some other new models in the pipeline too (Cougar) - we can certainly hope!!

From what I've seen though the Cougar C(20?) only raced in one livery. Still, knowing how committed Slot.It are they'll probably release it. I also have a hunch that the 1990 XJR12s will come as a triple pack like the Rothmans 956s and Sauber C9s, hopefully in 2010.

Edited by Freddy

Cheers,

Frederick

From what I've seen though the Cougar C(20?) only raced in one livery. Still, knowing how committed Slot.It are they'll probably release it. I also have a hunch that the 1990 XJR12s will come as a triple pack like the Rothmans 956s and Sauber C9s, hopefully in 2010.

Yes, you might be right on the C20, even at the other events, the livery was the same.

However, externally the C22 of 88 looks almost ideantical, except for the new livery.

I'm hoping for a 3 car winners box set of Jags too - we can keep our fingers crossed on that one.

According to Armchair, the new Scalextric cars will be $59 (a 20% price increase).

So, is $60 for a Scaley car still good value for money?

Cheers,

Frederick

Yer $59.

Australia cheapest place in world for Scaley cars.

UK guys get ripped.

Thats why a lot of mail orders come out of Oz to all over the world, even with postage.

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

i first got into 1:32 slot cars in the early 90's.

my first cars where $63 each.

the $50 we have been paying for scaley has been great, and for me $59 is ok for scaley, but $40 was too much for scx : )

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Even at $59 they're cheaper than back in the US. Scalextric cars run $48 USD on average depending on if you get them local or mail order. Also remember if you get them local, you'll have to add the sales tax if applicable. Back home in Austin, it's $47.99 + 8.25% sales tax. I'll take the $59 AUD thankyouverymuch.

"Experience is what you get just after you needed it." - Stephen Wright

Hum.... At $50 I could sway the minister of finance, although it is only $10 difference think the "that is a lot of money for a toy" goes up on an exponential curve as it gets closer to $100. Anything over the $100 is ludicrous and may only be obtained through birthdays, Christmas or bonuses from work. hehe

It is just an example of being a little savvy with buying comes to help you sometimes. I have bought quite a few cars from o/s especially when you remove VAT the cars and /or parts work out cheaper. A lot depends on the brand Spirit cars are way cheaper O/S but scaleys are often dearer Ninco NSR and Slot it are similar. I spoke with one local retailer who told me he sends heaps and heaps of SCX cars to spain the home of SCX go figure that one..I wish some of the big spanish retailers would add an english version to their Etailing. Crazy4 slot in Italy does but their prices are generally pretty crap. Some UK Etailers are pretty savvy with specials etc one just had a 33% easter discount sale. The most backward market is the US. They live in a bubble i am sure. Get this even many of the US sellers who list on Ebay will still only post to the lower 48 states.... Work that out... Dont get the best price for your product by making the buyer pay for the extra postage just limit your market to your own backyard. talk about myopic! Some of them are actually store owners to.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

The most backward market is the US. They live in a bubble i am sure. Get this even many of the US sellers who list on Ebay will still only post to the lower 48 states.... Work that out... Dont get the best price for your product by making the buyer pay for the extra postage just limit your market to your own backyard. talk about myopic! Some of them are actually store owners to.

Now hang on here. There are ~360 million people in the US. There are ~20 million people in Australia. So selling to just the US market isn't as myopic as you make it out to be. Depending on the volume these retailer have, they're not wanting to spend the time to fill out all the customs forms to ship overseas. With a market as large as the US, they don't need to ship overseas. Shipping to the lower 48 states is an easy calculation for these retailers and they're trying to be as efficient as possible.

The most backward market is the US. They live in a bubble i am sure. Get this even many of the US sellers who list on Ebay will still only post to the lower 48 states.... Work that out... Dont get the best price for your product by making the buyer pay for the extra postage just limit your market to your own backyard. talk about myopic! Some of them are actually store owners to.

Now hang on here. There are ~360 million people in the US. There are ~20 million people in Australia. So selling to just the US market isn't as myopic as you make it out to be. Depending on the volume these retailer have, they're not wanting to spend the time to fill out all the customs forms to ship overseas. With a market as large as the US, they don't need to ship overseas. Shipping to the lower 48 states is an easy calculation for these retailers and they're trying to be as efficient as possible.

Thats the kind of thinking that got GM where it is today <_<

cheers

rick1776

Has anyone asked the distributors why the increase when the exchange rate has never been better - as of today its 48.93 pence to the AUD - I find it extraordinary that there is a 20% increase - someone is skimming <_<

'The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

www.capricornmedia.com.au On-line DVD sales

The cars are not made in the UK. The UK pound has been falling against other currencies therefore it costs more to get the product made in terms of the pound.

cheers

rick1776

Fair enough on the population but i am fairly sure the market for slotcars 1/32 is larger in Italy Spain and the UK than it is in the US so I am not talking just Australia. If i were retailing i couldnt care less where i sent it. Population isnt always a good guide or else Japan would be a pretty big market. Anyway its up to the individual how they want to do things and you are probably right when you say they don't want to be bothered with the customs forms. Still strikes me as odd but its up to them.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Thats the kind of thinking that got GM where it is today <_<

Uh.... no. Thanks for playing but the reason GM, Ford and Chrysler are where they is is pure greed. Read a book called The Reckoning and you'll see what an absolute whack job Henry Ford was. When you're CEO makes over $20M USD per year, you need to seriously reevaluate your business strategy. I'm mean C'MON! $20 FREAKING MILLION PER YEAR!! I don't care what you do, how can you justify that kind of money? And if they CEO is getting that, what are the other execs pulling down? I'm not even going to talk about what the unions have done to the Big 3 in conjunction with the over paid execs. Remember how out of touch the CEOs are with reality. They go to Washington D.C. to ask for bailout money in their privates jets. They didn't even share a plane. They went in their own seperate jets.

Efficiency isn't what caused their problems. They caused their problems. And yes it is a very sore subject with me and no I've never owned a Big 3 automobile and doubt I ever will.