Sign in to follow this  
chilla

Chilla's New Track

My latest interpretation of Catalunya. I'm a dedicated rug racer and I've been doing variations of this track for about ten years. This one suits the space available and is adaptable to digital (I tried it yesterday). It also winds up and hides under the roof of the carport, an important consideration for a townhouse dweller.

It's made from an old table tennis table and an extra bit of 12mm chipboard. The two halves of the table tennis table are turned sideways to give a length (with the bit of extra chipboard) of 4 metres and a width of 1.35 metres. I used 70x40 structural pine for the frame.

It's hauled up by two cheap ($35) boat trailer winches. I've used chains to hold it up.

It works quite well. PM me if you want a detailed description of how it all works.

3142941577_c446c386cb_o.jpg

Cheers,

Charles

"all I want for my birthdy is another birthdy" Ian Dury...bless 'im.

That looks good chilla, best send a description of the winch system to skulldrifter....He's asking about that stuff.

"You Maniacs!.... You blew it up!.. Ah, damn you!...God damn you all to hell! "

I'd really like an underneath pic or two.... too please.

Appears you're using maybe 3 of those cheap workmate enches, hoisintingoff one, with an end edge sitting overhung , btweenthe thw wood surfaces, while the hidden half of the top forms a say150 x 500mm flat support for one table section.

I'm curious about longitudinal supports for the 3 tables. I presume you've just tacked on some 74x40 end to end with a couple of diagonal braces?

Edited by SlotsNZ

I'll get a shot of the underside when I haul it back up. It's quite simple, just two side rails and three cross pieces with the sheets screwed on. I was going to use single piece side rails but couldn't get the four metre long bits of wood home in the car. So they're made up of a pair of two metre lengths bolted to another two metre length.

It's a bit flimsy but I wanted to keep the weight to a minimum. It doesn't matter if it warps or sags a bit, I won't be using it for anything other than as a base for set track layouts.

And, yup, at the moment, I'm using $20 workbenches from Bunnings. Later on, I plan to make some folding legs with castor wheels so I can move it about. PhilR uses folding saw horses bolted to his portable track pieces and I think I'll do something like that if I can work out how to attach the castors.

Here's a shot of one of the winches. They're attached to the rafters and require a small step ladder to operate.

3144686881_a022d9bf34_o.jpg

There are four lengths of chain, one at each corner, to secure the table to the rafters when it's up and to help lower it all down. The chains at one end are long enough to hook up when the table is down. To lower the table, I wind the winch at the long chain end up enough to unhook it from the storage position (leaving the other end attached to the chains) then lower it enough to allow the table to swing freely, then reattach the chains and release the cable tension a bit. Then I lift the other end slightly to unhook the chains and lower that end straight onto the support, leaving a bit of tension on the cable. Then it's just a matter of lowering the other end onto the support. I leave the cables connected with a bit of tension for added security, they don't get in the way.

It's a slightly complicated process to get it up and down but it's fairly quick and keeps the mechanism simple. I'll post some pics when I've finished playing ;)

It's a bit over complicated but, for aesthetic reasons, I wanted to hide everything as much as possible.

Cheers,

Charles

A peek underneath

3145003933_790bbbb21a_o.jpg

Rough as a bear's wassaname but it works.

The long chain end. What happens is that the chains and cable form a triangle so that everything is free to move about but also stable as it's going up or down (the cable at this end is attached the way it is so that it aligns with the rafters).

3145836920_0db8fbf3e1_o.jpg

Cheers,

Charles

My slot car heaven will be based off this track!

Skulldrifter.

Some say he was born in the back of an AE86. Some say he even has negative camber on his feet. All we know is he's the Skulldrifter!

My slot car heaven will be based off this track!

Ta :mosh: ;)

The track list is:

19X full straights

6X1/2 half straights

1X1/4 straight

8XR1 curves (22.5 deg)

24 R2 curves

This is it in Slotman (by far my favourite track design software)

3152202728_e9635cbef4_b.jpg

Cheers,

Charles

Some pics of it all packed away.

First step in lifting Barcelonish. Hook up long chains and remove the work horse support. This end is now supported on the chains and free to move about a bit.

3178563458_9b228d9cab_b.jpg

Next step, lift the other end ot the ceiling and secure it in place with the short chains.

3177731097_532cd31f22_b.jpg

Then lift the other end and secure it to the ceiling with the top links of the chains (the excess chain is simply laid on the track)

3178568842_eb0bc0e702_b.jpg

All done...

3178571178_ac265dc335_b.jpg

Roll up the blinds and everything's back to normal and only those in the know know.

Next step is to paint the underside grey and work out a better system for the legs (needs wheels).

Cheers,

Charles

3403139617_4182ac4cb3_b.jpg

3403171915_27876c171a_b.jpg

This is probably my best interpretation of the track I've been building for, er, a very long time indeed.

In this version, I've even decided to incorporate scenery, as you can see if you look closely.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool rug racer and, with Ember and Wacker coming clean, I decided it was time to post a pic on Member's Tracks.

The lane lengths are 14.57 and 14.08 metres and it sits on a 4.2 by 1.4 metre board made from an old table tennis table with an extra bit.

It's the biggest I can manage. We live in a townhouse and the track lives in the carport. It's hoisted up to the ceiling with two boat winches when it's not in use.

I've sprayed all the curves with Plastidip and some have also been 'roughed up' with 60 grit abrasive paper.

Dunno about lap times, I can't be bothered setting up the timing (UR3 and webcam ZoneTrigger).

Like it says down below, if you're gonna be in town and in need of a fix, gimme a PM.

Edited by chilla

Cheers,

Charles

3403139617_4182ac4cb3_b.jpg

3403171915_27876c171a_b.jpg

This is probably my best interpretation of the track I've been building for, er, a very long time indeed.

In this version, I've even decided to incorporate scenery, as you can see if you look closely.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool rug racer and, with Ember and Wacker coming clean, I decided it was time to post a pic on Member's Tracks.

The lane lengths are 14.57 and 14.08 metres and it sits on a 4.2 by 1.4 metre board made from an old table tennis table with an extra bit.

It's the biggest I can manage. We live in a townhouse and the track lives in the carport. It's hoisted up to the ceiling with two boat winches when it's not in use.

I've sprayed all the curves with Plastidip and some have also been 'roughed up' with 60 grit abrasive paper.

Dunno about lap times, I can't be bothered setting up the timing (UR3 and webcam ZoneTrigger).

Like it says down below, if you're gonna be in town and in need of a fix, gimme a PM.

I think you need some lights on the scenery

I think you need some lights on the scenery

Heh, heh...

Believe me, there is scenery there...

Hint, think Gallipoli...

Cheers,

Charles

:P My job here is done. When you say Rug Racer say it with pride! It's where most of them started afterall.

I promise I'll post piccies of my track when it gets put back together on its permanent table.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

When you say Rug Racer say it with pride! It's where most of them started afterall.

S'funny, Embs, but I really do like the toy aspect of it all.

As you say, it's the way it all started.

There really is something quite special about a layout made completely of Scaley bits, doncha think...?

Cheers,

Charles

S'funny, Embs, but I really do like the toy aspect of it all.

As you say, it's the way it all started.

There really is something quite special about a layout made completely of Scaley bits, doncha think...?

There's no small amount of retaining/reliving childhood. Or in my case, getting revenge on my brothers who would never let my drive the slot cars, I only ever dot to drive the train.

Funny thing is, my brother visited just after X'Mas with his 2 young sons (when my Scaley collection was still in its infancy of 2 sets and 5 cars). His kids had serious difficulty dragging him away from the track. And when he did leave there was a serious puddle of drool left on the bungalow floor (at least I hope that damp patch was drool)

Yes I wan't to build a routed track some day. A heavy duty hill climb could well be planned for the back of the scaley table at a future date (will probably make more sense when you see the table). But until that time SCALEY ROOOLS

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Yes I wan't to build a routed track some day. A heavy duty hill climb could well be planned for the back of the scaley table at a future date

Yep, been there, done that.

And I'd encourage you to go for it. Just don't spend too much first up until you're convinced that it's the way to go.

I still have routed and scenery dreams but reality always seems to rear its ugly head. Thing is, I just don't have the room (or money).

But...

If you possibly can, scratch the itch...

...and go for it.

Cheers,

Charles

Man, and I was in Canberra yesterday. Just didn't have time, controller, or cars. :)

"Experience is what you get just after you needed it." - Stephen Wright

hey charles, your scenery skills are as good as mine.

You're too modest Steve. A store-bought tree and a bit of Velcro is no match for elephant turds :nice: :lol::D

3408336942_1f184ea32c_b.jpg

Edited by chilla

Cheers,

Charles

Man, and I was in Canberra yesterday. Just didn't have time, controller, or cars. :nice:

All you need is the time...

Cheers,

Charles

That lone pine looks so......alone....

Never did like those tracks that are all cluttered with scenery though so be carefull and don't over do things, old mate ! :nice:

"You Maniacs!.... You blew it up!.. Ah, damn you!...God damn you all to hell! "