Sign in to follow this  
MOPARGREG

Applying Pattos Decals

Hi guys,

I am about to apply some pattos decals to a car. It says in the instructions to apply 2 coats of water based clear acrylic before applying the decals. I have applied other decals from a different source & never had to do this before. What product do you recommend spraying as I thought most sprays are oil based? Tamiya sprays are oil based arent they?

Thanks in advance

Greg

Thanks

Greg

Hi guys,

I am about to apply some pattos decals to a car. It says in the instructions to apply 2 coats of water based clear acrylic before applying the decals. I have applied other decals from a different source & never had to do this before. What product do you recommend spraying as I thought most sprays are oil based? Tamiya sprays are oil based arent they?

Thanks in advance

Greg

Tamiya for plastic is water based, two quick coats will do it.

I used Patto's on my recent builds.

CHEERS

GARRY

HOKEY POKEY ANONYMOUS ....... A PLACE WHERE YOU CAN TURN YOURSELF AROUND

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

Greg

Hi Greg I just use the Tamiya X-22 clear and have had no problems.

Patto suggests you lay the decal on a wet tissue for 30 seconds, I always give them at least a minute at this point.

I've used them on heaps of models and had no issues but just take your time.

Cheers

Chris.

Late Model

yep tamiya will do the job or if you can find it pledge one-go works fine I apply it with a piece of foam. I have used both with pretty good results just slowly slowly catchie pig

Talking about Pattos Decals,

Has others noticed that he must have changed his Printer or something,

As the last couple of Decals i have received are now no longer solid in Colour, Blurred, and

not aligned.

Some of the Decals you can see white showing past the completed Decal when printed.

Also now we also have to clear the decals first prior to submerging them into water.

It's a shame, seems that his Quality has dropped. :D

from the previous printed ones from the past where they were solid in colour and a high gloss coating.

thanks for your replys.

So do you spray the tamiya clear on or brush it?

Ill unveil what Ive been working on in about a week and its not what you think. Its pretty different for me.

thanks

greg

Thanks

Greg

thanks for your replys.

Ill unveil what Ive been working on in about a week and its not what you think. Its pretty different for me.

thanks

greg

spray on Greg but you could brush on I haven't tried that I think you might get brush lines if you go that way the one go is very good in that respect as it is self leveling

thanks for your replys.

thanks

greg

You have been working on a honda civic and you have riced it to the hilt? That type of different?

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

thanks for your replys.

thanks

greg

spray on Greg but you could brush on I haven't tried that I think you might get brush lines if you go that way the one go is very good in that respect as it is self leveling

arrow.jpg

What he said...... :D

CHEERS

GARRY

thanks guys. I have some tamiya clear for plastics ts13 so ill just use that for this project.

Viv where do you buy pledge one go?

Greg

Thanks

Greg

Dupont Two pot automotive clear/hardener is the best you will get.

spray on with air brush

I have done several and I have some comments from guys that have been doing cars for years that my cars have the deepest and ritchest finish they have ever seen....Q: "what did you use"...A:the above!

It will almost melt the decal into the base paint, see my 1/24 jagermeister Porsche 962C for an example....on the Forum somewhere :D

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

I have tried most finishes. I now coat the decals with Testors Decal bonder before I put them on the car and then clear coat with Auto clear. I have tried Tamiya Spray and had some problems with it damaging the decals. Pedge works O/K but cannot be clear coated over and WILL absorbe moisture from you hands over time. It also does not give a great gloss when compared to Auto clear.

The auto clear whether 2 pack or acrylic will give the best gloss and hardest finish you can get.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

thanks guys. I have some tamiya clear for plastics ts13 so ill just use that for this project.

Viv where do you buy pledge one go?

Greg

I found it at the local franklins but maybe go Phils way with the auto clear I think he knows what its about.

I have tried most finishes. I now coat the decals with Testors Decal bonder before I put them on the car and then clear coat with Auto clear. I have tried Tamiya Spray and had some problems with it damaging the decals. Pedge works O/K but cannot be clear coated over and WILL absorbe moisture from you hands over time. It also does not give a great gloss when compared to Auto clear.

The auto clear whether 2 pack or acrylic will give the best gloss and hardest finish you can get.

agree with your comments here Phil

Sounds like what I am using, great finish and hard as nails....this I need as I do get out of the slot a bit in racing :) :( B)

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

thanks again guys.

Job is done. I used tamiya clear as that is what I had. Worked fine & no damage to decals

greg

Works for me....

I have had some issues with Auto paints reacting with model paints in the past and I find if you don't mix 'n' match there are none.

CHEERS

GARRY

I am painting 2 GT40s a green #21 car that raced at Sebring http://www.v-r-m.com/decals/011_GT40_MK1/V...yout_Page_1.jpg

and this one http://www.legacydiecast.com/product_images/ex18042.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/just...66/100_0594.jpg

The green one is Ivy Green Metallic and the Blue one is either Grenadier or Guardian Blue - I also had it mentioned that it is the same blue Shelby used on the AC Cobra??

anyway I am currently looking for as close a match as I can and have browsed through auto paints - which is where I think I will find a match..

Is it ok to use the Tamiya White Primer and then paint the auto paint over the top?

I have been to SuperCheap - they have a brand I think it is by Holt - are they ok to use? or can someone recommend any other auto shops carry a good range of spray cans?

oh and I am not trying to hijack Mopar's thread - I have bought Pattos decals for the #21 car and I sprayed them with White Knight Gloss Acrylic Clear...it was recommended by the folks I bought my decal paper off...

cheers

DM

DM

I have used the tamiya spary can primer then used automotive base coat then clear with no problems, but as kalbfellp said do not use auto clear over model colour, it will melt.

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

I am painting 2 GT40s a green #21 car that raced at Sebring http://www.v-r-m.com/decals/011_GT40_MK1/V...yout_Page_1.jpg

and this one http://www.legacydiecast.com/product_images/ex18042.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/just...66/100_0594.jpg

The green one is Ivy Green Metallic and the Blue one is either Grenadier or Guardian Blue - I also had it mentioned that it is the same blue Shelby used on the AC Cobra??

anyway I am currently looking for as close a match as I can and have browsed through auto paints - which is where I think I will find a match..

Is it ok to use the Tamiya White Primer and then paint the auto paint over the top?

I have been to SuperCheap - they have a brand I think it is by Holt - are they ok to use? or can someone recommend any other auto shops carry a good range of spray cans?

oh and I am not trying to hijack Mopar's thread - I have bought Pattos decals for the #21 car and I sprayed them with White Knight Gloss Acrylic Clear...it was recommended by the folks I bought my decal paper off...

cheers

DM

Hey mouse I think you will find that is guardsman blue.that they used on the cobra's. you will be lucky to find that anywhere I used to use a duplicolor blue which was very close can't remember which it was though, pretty sure it was a Holden colour good luck Viv

I sprayed them with White Knight Gloss Acrylic Clear...it was recommended by the folks I bought my decal paper off...

I would not put Auto clear over them without first testing on some old decals.

I have tried a lot of combs and now like Paul only use what I know works. I use auto primer and either touch up cans or tinter from auto suppliers. If you are using an air brush and dispencing from spray cans it is always a good idea to let the paint "breath" before spraying and this allows the propelant evaporate off.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg