Syd's New Track

102 replies to this topic

#61 Bill

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:58 AM

HI Syd, I don't know if the other forum uses noticed but that bunch of guys are pretty scruffy and look to have seen better days, they are all bloody old blokes too. (i guess the young ones can't keep up the pace) I must admit your track is great drive and we are lucky to be able to use it. Cheers Bill :P B) B)

#62 Syd

Syd

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

View PostBill, on Jul 12 2009, 02:58 AM, said:

HI Syd, I don't know if the other forum uses noticed but that bunch of guys are pretty scruffy and look to have seen better days, they are all bloody old blokes too. (i guess the young ones can't keep up the pace) I must admit your track is great drive and we are lucky to be able to use it. Cheers Bill :P :D ;)
Thanks Bill but I am one of those blokes in the pictures, but I must admit the young guys are few and far between. They obviously can't handle the pace we set or or have better things to do on Friday nights like chasing bits of skirt or other rediculous things. B)
West Australian Slot Car Racing Group
web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com
email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com
mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

#63 GTR XU-1

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

Cheers for letting us have a run on your track the other day Syd.....It is very smooth! I particularly liked the feel of the long turn 1 carrying speed into the tight turn two. Definately cant beat the routed tracks!

Good to meet both yourself and Craig....and cheers for the beer!

Dave

#64 Syd

Syd

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

View PostGTR XU-1, on Mar 21 2010, 02:44 PM, said:

Cheers for letting us have a run on your track the other day Syd.....It is very smooth! I particularly liked the feel of the long turn 1 carrying speed into the tight turn two. Definately cant beat the routed tracks!

Good to meet both yourself and Craig....and cheers for the beer!

Dave
No worries pop round anytime you like!.Look forward to having a go of the digital next time you are racing

#65 knoath

Formula 3 Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

Hmmm, seems like some good stuff happening over in the West!
A bit of routed hard core and an intro into digital... enjoy fellas!
Cheers,
Dick

SCMR build thread
Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

#66 GTR XU-1

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:53 AM

I had my first taste of proper routed analogue racing on Thursday night and it was fantastic. After a welcome and a sausage sizzle racing got underway...ok maybe a beer or two first as well to get the coordination dialled in!!

I was loaning cars off of Syd for each class so all the cars I was using were well tuned...it was just a pitty that I as a novince driver wasnt! We ran an SCX tourer class, F1 class, open lemans and a finally a ninco anglewinder class (which I thought was the best!). I tell you what, you need to concentrate and have far more throttle control without the mags in...which is good! I was so surprised at the speed (straight line and corner) that the cars were achieving.

So after four races for everyone (1 race for each different lane) the points were tallied. I actually managed to get a second in one of the races which I was totally stoked with. It wasnt so much the regular crashing that was letting me down (I wasnt that bad...except for the F1), it was mostly smooth throttle control to get the power down out of the corner....practice makes perfect I suppose. As could be expected, I predominatntly finished in fourth but managed to score a few thirds!

As far as tuning goes...I have probably learnt more in one night than my entire time playing with slot cars.

It was a great night with a great bunch of people!

Also, Syd has lent me one of his well tuned non mag cars to see if it can tackle the tight ninco lane changes and plastic R1 corners...hopefully I will give it a test tonight! If so, non mag racing could be coming to my track!

Again, Cheers Syd!

Dave

#67 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:03 AM

Nice to see you finally tried routed wood Dave! Good fun eh :)
I Miss Brocky...

#68 knoath

Formula 3 Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:33 PM

non mag racing could be coming to my track!
Posted Image

Dave has seen the light!!!!!
Cheers,
Dick

SCMR build thread
Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

#69 Syd

Syd

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:38 PM

View Postknoath, on Apr 27 2010, 03:33 PM, said:

non mag racing could be coming to my track!
Posted Image

Dave has seen the light!!!!!
Wishful thinking Dick.

#70 GTR XU-1

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

Syd - I am a fan of non mag racing. Its just that the little historic touring cars that we have been running are too narrow and topple over. I have got the camaros and mustang class down to a very tiny mag up the front only ....and I think the ninco GT3 class will give go close hopefully to no mag. Its just the tight lane changers on the ninco digital are well...tight, as you have seen.

Silver Rocket - have stripped most of the copper off our track and it is running pretty good now...and as smooth as a n digital controller will allow....with less mag, real good infact. We are expanding the classes we run too to historic touring car, vintage nascar (Pre 1980), Transam Series, and modern GT3.

Syd, I have also used Inox as a lubricant on the lane changers and are pretty reliable (say 95%) now. Slowly but surely getting the hang of this digital - definately crash and burn is the answer to clean racing tho.

Dave

#71 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

How did you guys go last night?

Sorry I couldnt make it Syd but after the drive home from a week in Exmouth I was buggered... :sleep2:

James & I will be up for next time for sure but... :D
I Miss Brocky...

#72 Syd

Syd

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:02 PM

View Postsilver rocket, on May 16 2010, 10:55 AM, said:

How did you guys go last night?

Sorry I couldnt make it Syd but after the drive home from a week in Exmouth I was buggered... :sleep2:

James & I will be up for next time for sure but... :D
Good night was had by all all wrapped up by 2am

#73 Captain

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:59 PM

Routed - non mag tracks. I have seen the light!!!

Having never raced on a routed track before, I was completely blown away with the control that a routed track offers over plastic. It is a completely different experience... It's awesome.

Syd, thanks for your hospitality and for the tuning advice on the new GT3 cars we dragged around. For a relatively new person to the hobby, it is really appreciated. Your whole setup is very impressive and I had a blast.

Cheers

Kirk

Edited by Captain, 17 May 2010 - 12:00 AM.

#74 GTR XU-1

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:40 AM

Syd,

Again, cheers for hosting last night. Those sausage rolls were pretty damn good to!!!

As Kirk said...routed non mag all the way....I am converted - be it analogue or digital (scorpius).

We tested some of our 'magnet' tuned (cough splutter) cars on Syds track last night and had a few races with them as well. Surprisingly, our cars werent as bad as I thought they were going to be with Syds track being non mag and we had some good races with our historic touring cars, historic nascar and new GT3s. Syd was obviously master of his track and dominated the racing...but racing for second was still good fun!!

Will catch up very shortly Syd for some supplies.

Dave

#75 Ozzyneil

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:31 AM

Hi Syd, Just echoing previous comments mate, Great track, great company, great sausage rolls, and Kirk...great stack on your arse :nice:
The whole night was just, umm whats the word... Great!

Thanks again!

Neil

#76 Captain

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

... I swear someone was spiking my drinks. :nice:

I think one drink led to another... viscious cycle. :D

It could only have improved my racing. :lol:

Kirk

#77 Syd

Syd

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

View PostCaptain, on May 17 2010, 11:02 AM, said:

... I swear someone was spiking my drinks. :lol:

I think one drink led to another... viscious cycle. :D

It could only have improved my racing. :D

Kirk
I am glad you all had a good night it was a shame a few more didn't make it but we it was great anyway. I think we should do it again in the not to distant future. I think the driving was actually getting better as the night went on so it will be only a matter of time. I make a better mechanic than a driver :nice: If I had not had to go to work at 8 am my driving might have improved as well.

#78 Yngwie

V8 Supercar Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

Looks like you had some racers there Syd! The plastic magnet guys look like coming round!

#79 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

Good to see you guys see what I mean about routed non-mag! :D Much more drivable hey, digital routed non-mag would be the shizz I reckon.

Spewin we couldnt make it but James & I will be there with bells on next time so keep me posted syd, can't wait...

cheers
I Miss Brocky...

#80 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

Hi Syd.

Had another look at your track. Had not noticed how you had done corners before but can certainly understand now. My brother was keen on this method originally but is now favouring CNC job if they can simulate layout we want.

Good explanation however as to how you achieved. Hopefully I will get chance to see in flesh soon.

Regards

Chas Le Breton
New Plymouth
New Zealand

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users