Syd's New Track

Syd

Good looking track Syd!

I imagine you have had many nights racing now. How is the track / racing going?

Its good to see another track put in the WA section of members home tracks. I was starting to get lonely!!! I think it was a good idea to move separate the tracks into different states - it makes it easier to keep up to date with the local works. There are actually a few more from WA that have previously been posted but I am sure the moderators will get around to it.

Can we see some pics of the track in action on a race night!!!...please

Regards,

Dave

We have had a few race nights but haven't had time to take photo's .When you have a dozen blokes in your shed wanting to start racing you don't have time to scratch yourself. :lol:

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good looking track Syd!

Its good to see another track put in the WA section of members home tracks. I was starting to get lonely!!! I think it was a good idea to move separate the tracks into different states - it makes it easier to keep up to date with the local works. There are actually a few more from WA that have previously been posted but I am sure the moderators will get around to it.

Regards,

Dave

Having a Big night this Friday (29th May) should be at least an even dozen so I will try to get some photos then!

Holy Shite but thats good. Are you a chippy by trade?
Not at all but I was taught a few things by a good friend who knows alot about making a good race track ( thanks Allan) and this is my third track I have built. Probably the last as the wife would kil me otherwise. It would be hard to beat the design anyway.

Very nice track there Syd - So will we see the track nominated as a proxy track for 2010 ? - be good to see a WA based track in the series .
I wouldn't mind doing holding one and there is other tracks over here that it could be held at .

Good looking track Syd!

Regards,

Dave

We have had a few race nights but haven't had time to take photo's .When you have a dozen blokes in your shed wanting to start racing you don't have time to scratch yourself. :)

As requested:

P5290031.jpg

P5290033.jpg

P5290038.jpg

P5290040.jpg

P5290035.jpg

P5290034.jpg

P5290036.jpg

P5290039.jpg

P5290032.jpg

Edited by Syd

Awesome looking track :)

What's a lap take round it?

Average about 8 seconds but a hot lap around 6.5 seconds with a Ninco Anglewinder with all the fruit.

• 1 month later...

HI Syd, I don't know if the other forum uses noticed but that bunch of guys are pretty scruffy and look to have seen better days, they are all bloody old blokes too. (i guess the young ones can't keep up the pace) I must admit your track is great drive and we are lucky to be able to use it. Cheers Bill :PB) B)

• 2 weeks later...
HI Syd, I don't know if the other forum uses noticed but that bunch of guys are pretty scruffy and look to have seen better days, they are all bloody old blokes too. (i guess the young ones can't keep up the pace) I must admit your track is great drive and we are lucky to be able to use it. Cheers Bill :P:D;)

Thanks Bill but I am one of those blokes in the pictures, but I must admit the young guys are few and far between. They obviously can't handle the pace we set or or have better things to do on Friday nights like chasing bits of skirt or other rediculous things. B)

• 7 months later...

Cheers for letting us have a run on your track the other day Syd.....It is very smooth! I particularly liked the feel of the long turn 1 carrying speed into the tight turn two. Definately cant beat the routed tracks!

Good to meet both yourself and Craig....and cheers for the beer!

Dave

Cheers for letting us have a run on your track the other day Syd.....It is very smooth! I particularly liked the feel of the long turn 1 carrying speed into the tight turn two. Definately cant beat the routed tracks!

Good to meet both yourself and Craig....and cheers for the beer!

Dave

No worries pop round anytime you like!.Look forward to having a go of the digital next time you are racing

• 2 weeks later...

I had my first taste of proper routed analogue racing on Thursday night and it was fantastic. After a welcome and a sausage sizzle racing got underway...ok maybe a beer or two first as well to get the coordination dialled in!!

I was loaning cars off of Syd for each class so all the cars I was using were well tuned...it was just a pitty that I as a novince driver wasnt! We ran an SCX tourer class, F1 class, open lemans and a finally a ninco anglewinder class (which I thought was the best!). I tell you what, you need to concentrate and have far more throttle control without the mags in...which is good! I was so surprised at the speed (straight line and corner) that the cars were achieving.

So after four races for everyone (1 race for each different lane) the points were tallied. I actually managed to get a second in one of the races which I was totally stoked with. It wasnt so much the regular crashing that was letting me down (I wasnt that bad...except for the F1), it was mostly smooth throttle control to get the power down out of the corner....practice makes perfect I suppose. As could be expected, I predominatntly finished in fourth but managed to score a few thirds!

As far as tuning goes...I have probably learnt more in one night than my entire time playing with slot cars.

It was a great night with a great bunch of people!

Also, Syd has lent me one of his well tuned non mag cars to see if it can tackle the tight ninco lane changes and plastic R1 corners...hopefully I will give it a test tonight! If so, non mag racing could be coming to my track!

Again, Cheers Syd!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Syd - I am a fan of non mag racing. Its just that the little historic touring cars that we have been running are too narrow and topple over. I have got the camaros and mustang class down to a very tiny mag up the front only ....and I think the ninco GT3 class will give go close hopefully to no mag. Its just the tight lane changers on the ninco digital are well...tight, as you have seen.

Silver Rocket - have stripped most of the copper off our track and it is running pretty good now...and as smooth as a n digital controller will allow....with less mag, real good infact. We are expanding the classes we run too to historic touring car, vintage nascar (Pre 1980), Transam Series, and modern GT3.

Syd, I have also used Inox as a lubricant on the lane changers and are pretty reliable (say 95%) now. Slowly but surely getting the hang of this digital - definately crash and burn is the answer to clean racing tho.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
How did you guys go last night?

Sorry I couldnt make it Syd but after the drive home from a week in Exmouth I was buggered... :sleep2:

James & I will be up for next time for sure but... :D

Good night was had by all all wrapped up by 2am

Routed - non mag tracks. I have seen the light!!!

Having never raced on a routed track before, I was completely blown away with the control that a routed track offers over plastic. It is a completely different experience... It's awesome.

Syd, thanks for your hospitality and for the tuning advice on the new GT3 cars we dragged around. For a relatively new person to the hobby, it is really appreciated. Your whole setup is very impressive and I had a blast.

Cheers

Kirk

Edited by Captain

Syd,

Again, cheers for hosting last night. Those sausage rolls were pretty damn good to!!!

As Kirk said...routed non mag all the way....I am converted - be it analogue or digital (scorpius).

We tested some of our 'magnet' tuned (cough splutter) cars on Syds track last night and had a few races with them as well. Surprisingly, our cars werent as bad as I thought they were going to be with Syds track being non mag and we had some good races with our historic touring cars, historic nascar and new GT3s. Syd was obviously master of his track and dominated the racing...but racing for second was still good fun!!

Will catch up very shortly Syd for some supplies.

Dave