International Model Car Racing - Register Your Interest Now.

Springbok Racer

Scale Model Car Racing - using international rules  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in racing Scale Model Cars to international rules?

• Yes
    • No.
    • Yes, but I need to know more.

Hi guys

Tim Tyler (our lone 'Worlds' Model Car competitor) and myself (one of the 2008 PanAm team members) have decided that we would like to find out how many of you are interested in racing Scale Model Cars to the international rules, here in Aussie. Here are the links for you to check out these rules:

http://www.imca-slotracing.com/rulebook0608.html

http://www.plafit-racing.com/en/netengine/...ment-J-V3-3.pdf

http://www.plafit-racing.com/en/netengine/...ations-V3-4.pdf

Please let us know here, if you are interested, as we would like to promote racing at this level and thereby improve our participation at international level. However, if you are not interested in travelling abroad to compete, but would still like to race under these rules HERE in Australia - then let us know too. Tim and I would like to organise get-togethers for all interested parties, where we can race and help each other with these cars. If Australia is going to become a major force in Scale Model Car Racing, we need to start racing to international rules. :)

Thank you for not making this thread a discussion for the likes and dislikes of these international rules. The international community have been racing under these rules for 25 years and are not about to change because of us. However, if we can beat them consistently using their rules, then maybe we can get some changes made to suit us in time to come. :lol:

Regards

Springbok Racer - Jan Roestorf

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Sorry Jan, too many rules take the fun out of it. This is why I haven't returned to 1/24 commercial racing even though I spent 18 years in it. The more rules, the more arguments and hair splitting.Simple rules with "If it's not in the rules, it's not allowed until it is discussed" is how I like to race. No sheep stations.

Sorry

Stu

Old racers race harder

Yeah i'm interested , but hard to find time (young family) so maybe the local scene is the way to go At Mobile Raceway's, Dandenong.

Edited by Davnic74

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

:lol:

Hi Jan,

excellent initiative buddy, hope the "positives" pick up some more. :)

Send my regards to Tim when next you see him, and here's wishing you both a very festive Xmas for you and your families..

Regards

Big Al

Boys and their Toys...

i am in for it !!!

although i understand why some of us here don't

"too many rules take the fun out of it".

it could be simpler by using generic parts

but here downunder, we have very limited parts availability

besides that,commercial tracks are very rare

and the cost is is sometimes unforgiving.

Edited by stargate_SG1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I have raced 1/24th for just over 1 year here in NZ and I am passionate about it, even if I am crap! I would fly over and race if you guys held an international. I know Tim Tyler comes over here to race at our nationals sometimes but I have never met him. As for the rules I have never raced a Plafit chassis but I am of the opposite view to most that have posted, that more technical rules make it more fun as it is fair for everybody. My experience with hard body clubs with few rules is there will always be some hyper competitive person (Not me! I like rules to follow!) who wants to make up the rules as they go, and ruin it for everybody else. I found the metal chassi racing where there are lots of rules is actually more laid back, even though the events are much more structured and have more rules.

I see three sets of rules are offered. If your series goes ahead and the rules are chosen I would love to build a car and race. Hell, I can live with being the "moving chicane" but I will be grinning! <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I suppose to get almost 80% positive response is great. On the other hand, it is a great pity that from the 400 odd views we only got 14 votes. Anyway, all great race events started somewhere.

We can definately have some racing between the 11 guys that indicated their interest. So let's get going. Please PM me with your email address, and address. This way we can start a register of all Model Car Racers and start the ball rolling to organise some get-togethers.

Perhaps you can also give me a short summary of what your model car interests are, what chassis you are using and where you race at the moment. Both 1/32nd and 1/24th.

Thank you for taking the time to register. :lol:

Let's get International Standard Model car racing going in 2009.

Cheers

Springbok Racer

alias Jan Roestorf

Edited by Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'

• 3 weeks later...

@ Springbok Racer, I read but don't vote here :D

And dont see it that way, from many years I know that 80 - 90 % dosn't vote, just read and follow the rules you set up.

@ kennedyrd, absolute correct, more rules = more fun, every time we try with rules on one sheet of paper, it is fun when the guys making the rules are racing them, but when a new come in he read the rules a build the fastest care possible to the rulebook, no matter what it cost, and he endng up driving double speed - he has fun, the rest dosn't.

So if you would have a race for everybody make the rule book complete, just as the rules for the Plafit racing over here http://www.plafit-racing.com all the racers in Denmark are telling me they are complicated,until they read them and build a car, then they found out that they could build a car just as fast as the fastest guys do. And then they come back to me saying that the rules are easy to follow, and give a very fair race. You cant buy you self to a better/faster car and everybody have fun.

I went to Germany (900 km from me) to race in DPM 2006, now I have a part of the EPC in Denmark too, because it was fun to race there after these rules, probertly the same with the race in Chicago, Mark was racing in Germany and found out it was fun and tight race.

all the best to you

have fun ;)

@ kennedyrd, absolute correct, more rules = more fun, every time we try with rules on one sheet of paper, it is fun when the guys making the rules are racing them, but when a new come in he read the rules a build the fastest care possible to the rulebook, no matter what it cost, and he endng up driving double speed - he has fun, the rest dosn't.

This is exactly why we chucked the rule book. There is always someone trying to cheat or bend the rules out of shape. The only rules we had for flexi's and womps was no cut cans or C cans, ceramic magnets only and any non-group green or brown armature. I could keep up with the best of them as these rules required the use of the brain instead of the bank balance to go fast. Money can buy the best parts but it takes brains to make them work together.

Stu

Old racers race harder