Nzpr - New Zealand Proxy Race

SlotsNZ

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All entrants, please read the scrutineering notes. We have quite a few non-compliances, especially a number of tri-pods.

I will attempt to fix any cars upon request - have fixed my own. Need to rea dup on panalties.

Gutted mine had plenty of chassis clearance 2 weeks ago. Did 20 laps today, changed braids, checked, and it came out under-cleared on on ridge on the chassis.

What this does tell me is that next year we would certainly set minimum clearance a lot lower, especially since we don't have to worry as MUCH about wear on our surfaces as you, since our tracks are less abrasive, and we will have less rounds.

You guys must end up driving on your chassis' and using spur gears like spiked wheels to move, with 10 rounds on ferrordor

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Okay, I've fixed the Scrutineering results page, so folk can now see all the cars with entrants names and notes beside them.

For the record, no cars had any mechanical faults, and a very nicely tuned set of cars. One car, I forget which appeared to be coasting around the track without turning a gear - I couldn't hear ANYTHING....... I'll make more comments as I drive each one in qualifying tonight, and add to the qualifying sheet as we go.

Phil, yours was really noisy [just kidding, LOL]

Only one - Munter's showed any signs of hop or shudder but it still felt quite quick and sticky in the one lap I did of each car to check for mechanical faults.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I have just been re-reading the rules.

Am I correct in interpreting that if the car is fixed prior to the first round, - ie brough into compliance, then there is no penalty.

ie penalties are only for non-compliance, or repairs once the first round has begun . . . .

what happens in OZ?

What do you all WANT......

I fixed Davnic's car easily, Stig's is not so easy, I have not received advice on any others yet.

I fixed mine (10 seconds with the dremel grinding drum., can fix Mike Doo's pretty easy I think.

I say any non compliant car should be disqualified immediately.

That way the mighty SCX cupra will surely get on the podium.

carefully sanding the tips of the teeth. Sounds like butchery, but the metal chassis guys apparently do this routinely.

I have to say that I've never heard of this before.

munter

Edited by munter

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

carefully sanding the tips of the teeth. Sounds like butchery, but the metal chassis guys apparently do this routinely.

munter

Yeah, that's Chris' idea. I thought I'd experiment, so I just tried it on your Cupra, but the dang anglegrinder slipped, and I chopped the sucker in half...... do you have time to pop over and glue it back together, I'll put the pot on.

BTW, what IS the motor RX42 or RX42B - and what tyres - so I can add it to the lists.

Motor is WRX and the tires are r&^$b#r.

As always, your willing helper.

munter

actually the motor is standard scx and the tires are slotit

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

If the car is fixed before round one then usually no penalties are applied.

Mark has Stig fitted front axle bearings to that crappy chassis? If so just break them out and lower the axle or just slot them down to allow the axle to drop down, do what ever you like, it is one of my old JUNKERS!!!!! He scrounged it from me.

Edited by kalbfellp

Okay Guys

Update.

We plan to run scrutineering on Wednesday at 3pm NZ time - 1pm East Coast Oz time. kennedy-rd will scrutineer, with me there recording results.

Any "issues" will be communicated here, and to the entrants.

I plan to have scrutineering live on this channel http://www.justin.tv/slotsnz2009

THEN, I thought, if I run qualifying at 9.30pm NZ time - 7.30pm Oz time the same evening, more of you will be home and have the opportunity to watch it - same channel

Qualifying times will be updated after each car runs on page Qualifying Times

EDIT - Thanks to Christian from the CPR we are able to use his sheet, and he explained how to do auto re-publish, so that I can update the sheet after each qualifying time very quickly

Live qualifying now

Follow above links

Edited by Davnic74

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

If the car is fixed before round one then usually no penalties are applied.

Mark has Stig fitted front axle bearings to that crappy chassis? If so just break them out and lower the axle or just slot them down to allow the axle to drop down, do what ever you like, it is one of my old JUNKERS!!!!! He scrounged it from me.

Hi Phil,

yes he did. They're glued in, and I was loathe to do anything without input.

I will work on it between now and sunday, and try and sort that.

Thanks for the comment re penalties. I already had some background chat with another entrant, and he also concurred.......

I'd rather we just went "that's sorted", and not ruin anyone's chances through the series, before it starts by heaping penalties - on half the field as well.

I am happy to do any repairs.

Aastes and Pitlane.

I am at a loss why your cars weren't faster n qualifying.

They SEEMED to have more grip than that when I ran a test lap or two of each car this afternoon at scrutineering, to check for any mechanical isses requiring rectificaiton prior to qualifying.

Your cars are smooth as butter, it seems purely a grip problem, and I am at a loss.

If you wish, I will give both sets a clean with a weak mix of dish wash liquid and water, clean and dry, and see how they come up.

Bottom line is the car was set up for supersoft tyres which I changed at the very last minutes cos I am an idiot. Even so it was still a good car round my track but then again my track is not a fast track so - probably the fastest proxy car i have ever done cos normally mine are on the slow side - guess Ill go back to the slow versions

Clean the tyres by all means but . . . . .

As for being a tripod - odd again cos I didnt think it was on my track but then again when i changed the rears I changed the fronts also = like most things months of planning thrown out the window in the last days

Hi Mark,

just do what you seem right.

Even give them a light sand.

I did not sand much, as I was aware of the ground clearence.

Otherwise just enjoy your first Proxy event.

I am still 3rd in the podded class.

All good.

"If one does not fail at times,

then one has not challenged himself."

Ferdinand Porsche

"Im sure you know there will be a broadcast in about 1/2 an hour, ..."

You're right Davnic: I knew about the planned broadcast, but at the time I posted I still hadn't figured out the time difference between Foz do Iguassu/BR and Napier/NZ - which BTW seems to be 15 hours plus for the Kiwis. It kinda puzzled me, as when my daughter was at Dunedin for six months, the difference was just 13 hours - daylight saving time, perhaps...?

But I did access the broadcast site yesterday night at 11 pm/Brazil time (4 pm NZ) and left two messages on the chat. At that time there was no slot action going on, but I did get to see some really awesome Can Am footage! Thanx Mark: jolly good show, chap! :lol:

Anywhat, I now have seen all the cars: great group of good and fast looking rides! I wonder how they'll perform during the challenge and who'll be the one to have the supreme bragging rights! I'll be watching you guys closely... :lol:

Cheerio lads and good luck to everyone! ;)

BigDog

Edited by BigDog

Hi Fernao

yes, I think that if you use "daylight saving" to advance your clocks, the difference summer to winter moves 2 hours between us, because we use it in our southern hemisphere summer.

My suppliers in Peru and Argentina always used to get confused too!!

Renzo would call me from Arequipa and get us out of bed on a winter's morning at 6am by accident LOL

Ah, meant to say too, I love CanAm because it pulled in "the names of a generation", legends today, and it was at a time when NZ had more top drivers on the world stage than any other time.

McLaren, Hulme, Amon.... marvelouss to see. Amon is still around and involved in motor racing promotion, lives a couple of hours drive north of here.

1969 was the peak for me.

Watkins Glen

1. 4 Bruce McLaren / NZ McLaren M8B Chevrolet McLaren Racing Ltd. 87 1:35:17,600 1. 1:02,210

2. 5 Denny Hulme / NZ McLaren M8B Chevrolet McLaren Racing Ltd. 87 1:36:18,400 2. 1:02,540

3. 16 Chris Amon / NZ Ferrari 612P 0866 Chris Amon 87 1:35:48,000 3. 1:03,730

Mid Ohio

1. 5 Denny Hulme / NZ McLaren M8B Chevrolet McLaren 80 2:02:16,600 1. 1:25,900

2. 4 Bruce McLaren / NZ McLaren M8B Chevrolet McLaren 80 2:03:07,000 2. 1:26,200

3. 16 Chris Amon / NZ Ferrari 612P 79 12. 1:36,000

Later on Graham Lawrence, Howden Ganley (lesser known driver), and I think Graham McRae all raced it.

McLaren, nothing need be said, Hulme was F1 champion 1967

-McRae founded McRae Racing. You still see his old Formula 5000s at the pointy end of Formula 5000 historic races around the world.

I just wish several slot car companies fixated on funny white cars with the aerofoil half way to the moon would start making nice little orange cars instead, with #4 and #5 on the sides...... :) :) :)

This page will show updated round results as we progress on sunday afternoon.

Start time approx 12:40pm East coast Australia time.

NZPR Race Round One

I have some sample data in there so you can see the style.

I am running the cars in group/class order becuase it was simpler for the formulas.....

It also mixes up qualifying rankings for interest's sake.

And here's a "World Clock" for those from far away, who may be unsure of time in your location.

World Clock

Wilco Viv, I'll get the anglegrinder out again :)

Stig - yours is done. I couldn't get those bushes out without breaking the mounts, so I had to elongate the axle hole until the fronts just touched. Sanded the outside face of each bush and added a couple of stainless spacers between the inside of the wheel and the bush. oiled axle and all surfaces and packed the hole with ceramic grease. Doesn't seem to bind the front or cause any handling problem.

Mike Doo, your is done. All it needed was the two little bits that just out at the back of the axle ground off and sanded smooth for cosmetic purposes.

I fixed Davnic's yesterday by slightly sanding the bottom of the front axle slot with a rat tail file until both sides just touched, then ran a little fine sandpaper to finish and greased.

Cleaned Pitlane's and Aastes' tyres, 3 different ways, not a lot of difference.

The way Pitlane's tyres feel, I think it will hook up like a wing car with Goo on kennedy-rd's track, but that's a while away.

Off to the shop to buy a bigger anglegrinder to attack oldslot's gears with. ..... :):)

I think devious asked me to do the same with his, will check my PM notes....

Then I think that's everything done ready for sunday.

Any other requests for carnage . . er tweaking

munter

Yeah, that's Chris' idea. I thought I'd experiment, so I just tried it on your Cupra, but the dang anglegrinder slipped, and I chopped the sucker in half...... do you have time to pop over and glue it back together, I'll put the pot on.

BTW, what IS the motor RX42 or RX42B - and what tyres - so I can add it to the lists.

Hi there. Sorry did not notice the gear grinding comment. I got the tip from Chris Dillon a top metal chassis racer as he wanted to use a certain type of gear on a Int 32 car. The rules state the gears "cannot protrude below the bottom of the chassis" and he did not want to raise the axle, (I am sworn to secrecy as to why!) you guessed it, he ground the teeth down. I have done it to the NSR gears on my car. As it is anglewinder there is still lots of the tooth fully engaged. I do it on a Hudy but you could just as easily do it "in situ". Looks like many of you had already done it but you were so close to complying that a sliver more would not hurt. I have never had a problem and my car has done quite a few laps now. Just wondering what to do for next round when the tyres have worn down again?

Thanks Davnic. I am a bit surprised being a "Proxy Virgin" and would be pleased to have even gotten this far! Your Mosler goes very well considering how stock it appears. Some careful blueprinting going on I suspect.

Wilco Viv, I'll get the anglegrinder out again :)

Stig - yours is done. I couldn't get those bushes out without breaking the mounts, so I had to elongate the axle hole until the fronts just touched. Sanded the outside face of each bush and added a couple of stainless spacers between the inside of the wheel and the bush. oiled axle and all surfaces and packed the hole with ceramic grease. Doesn't seem to bind the front or cause any handling problem.

Mike Doo, your is done. All it needed was the two little bits that just out at the back of the axle ground off and sanded smooth for cosmetic purposes.

I fixed Davnic's yesterday by slightly sanding the bottom of the front axle slot with a rat tail file until both sides just touched, then ran a little fine sandpaper to finish and greased.

Cleaned Pitlane's and Aastes' tyres, 3 different ways, not a lot of difference.

The way Pitlane's tyres feel, I think it will hook up like a wing car with Goo on kennedy-rd's track, but that's a while away.

Off to the shop to buy a bigger anglegrinder to attack oldslot's gears with. ..... :):lol:

I think devious asked me to do the same with his, will check my PM notes....

Then I think that's everything done ready for sunday.

Any other requests for carnage . . er tweaking

Mark what are your hourly rates for w/shop time ???????

Viv,

Well Davnic is paying me $1,000 per corner, flat contract rate for fixing his car . . . . . [private joke]

- whereas anyone from our club whose car I am working on would tell you that an acceptable charge out rate for my standard of work is around 2 cents per year......

but I am SO generous . . . it's "be kind to an ozzie" week . . . . . so don't knock it, may calendar only has one listed every 3rd leap year.

Viv,

Well Davnic is paying me $1,000 per corner, flat contract rate for fixing his car . . . . . [private joke]

- whereas anyone from our club whose car I am working on would tell you that an acceptable charge out rate for my standard of work is around 2 cents per year......

but I am SO generous . . . it's "be kind to an ozzie" week . . . . . so don't knock it, may calendar only has one listed every 3rd leap year.

your generosity is only exceeded by your exceptional good looks