Sign in to follow this  
SlotsNZ

Nzpr - New Zealand Proxy Race

For those who didn't already think me crazy, I wish to put the matter beyond doubt.

In the interests of furthering the development of the NZ slot racing scene, and to draw our two sporting nations into yet further combat, I am organizing a small proxy race series in New Zealand for 2009.

I am the event instigator, the rules committee, the "muscle" enforcer and everything else. I just think it will run quicker, easier and smoother first time up if we keep the committee to a small number [one].

I will however ask local hosts whom I know personally for assistance as required.

I had hoped we might tag it AFTER the end of the DUPR, but I see that goes on all year, so it wasn't possible.

I have elected that the NZ series will be run during May, June and July, just 4 rounds. All rounds are planned for non-magnetic routed tracks, more details to follow.

To create some conformity with the DUPR, and to save a power of work and re-invention of the wheel, gravity, and all mathematical structures, I have plagurized the DUPR rules. My great gratitude to AASTES for being so accommodating and helpful.

Apart from a "names dates and places have been changed to protect the identities of the innocent" the rules are EXACTLY as per the DUPR. - If interpretations from the DUPR vary on some technical point encountered during the series, sorry, but that's life. We will be doing the best we can first up.

If anyone gets unhappy about anything during the series - breathe, breathe deeply, slowly.....and remember, if you entered...."we know where you live"

Likewise with the DUPR, any proceeds left from the series will be donated to Auslot.

Entry is AUD$20 for Australian entries, and NZ$15 for NZ entries, payable to bank accounts in each country. Entries accepted in chronological order, but if you advise entry, then don't pay before someone else enters and pays - "tough" you should have blown the cobwebs off your wallet sooner. :lol:

We will only take 8 entries in each category, and 5 of each will be initially reserved for NZ entries. If the NZ entry roster is not filled by March 31st 2009, additional Australian entries will be accepted - this is to give a decent number of locals their first crack at a proxy car.

If by some chance we get more entries than 10 from NZ, we will run the series with more cars - a minimum of 6 Oz entries WILL be accepted (3 in each of podded and non-podded)

pm me with your email address if you wish to have an entry form and rules sent to you.

Vinno, Boslot, TMS? anyone, is there a chance we could throw up a separate thread in the events area for this?

Edited by SlotsNZ

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

interested what are the class and categories ? please

Lost your glasses? :lol:

Apart from a "names dates and places have been changed to protect the identities of the innocent" the rules are EXACTLY as per the DUPR.

"If one does not fail at times,

then one has not challenged himself."

Ferdinand Porsche

interested what are the class and categories ? please

Ignore them, they doesn't understand us seniors :lol:

Everything is the same actually, except the name and location - and the fact that I am a one man dictator running it ....:)

thanks for your interest. PM me your email, and I'll copy you the WORD doc.

If you don't have WORD, just tell me, I can convert it to a web page, so you can read it in your browser.

And if you ARE interested, please holler quick, appears I have 3 entries already...... 2 podded, one non podded.

cheers

mark

Edited by SlotsNZ

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self

I'd be checking ebay on a regular basis after posting out the cars to slotsNZ, ya just never know with slotsNZ. ;)

AHHHHHHHHHHH RICK !!!!!! you spoiled me scam...... now I'll have to put on Spanish EBay LOL

Hola señores, he preparado la carrera experta de coches para la venta, sólo "vueltas de prueba" adecuado para la mayoría de las carreras de la serie proxy, o dominar a su club local de carreras "

Consulte mis otros anuncios similares también.

I'll be in for a non podded car, send me the info please.

need your email address for the WORD file, be quick, first entries back and fees paid wins.

I have 11 prospectives, so if my "hola" doesn't scare them off, someone is going to miss out

Mark

Just to be clear, need people's email address to send the WORD file.

Have already sent my bank details for entry payment by PM to all who have enquired.

I have 11 expessions of interest, one entry form returned with deposit made.

In all seriousness, I hadn't expected so much interest so quickly.I finished replying to 3 PMs, and there were 2 more public expressions of interest from ESPSIX and HMCSAT

Could be some will miss out at this stage.... I'll give it some thought. I just don't want to overload first time hosts, or let the thing get too out of hand, or deny locals their first chance to experience proxy racing as an entrant.

and in all seriousness, I am gratified that so many have expressed interest.

Mark

Thats the rules that are the same, dosn't say anything about the class being the same. ;)

a different class would be good.

wotesed

Looking foward to this one ;) ...

Mark as per your opening statment of 3 for podded and 3 for non podded, maybe make it 5 and 5 and thats the cut off.

10 outsiders sound's fair for the first running of th NZ Proxy.

Edited by Davnic74

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

I know you guys would probably like some variety, but because I am totally novice at running one of these things, being able to plagurize EVERYTHING, including rules clarifications on specific points posted for the DUPR, AND see the DUPR results unfold for the same class of cars, from in many cases, many of the same builders, will be the MOST helpful for our NZ entrants, and it is them after all I am seeking to benefit the very most.

I don't know where this event will take us for 2009, but wouldn't it be nice to have maybe 2 series, (as well aa the rally one); different classes, and running on both sides of the Tasman eventually.... but I needed for this to start simple, and small enough not to choke prospective hosts here.

It looks almost certain that I will have 6 or more deposits in overnight, and certainly close entries at that point

Out now for a couple of hours folks.

The rebirth of the Trans Tasman cup from the 60s &70s. Hope it takes off for you.

LOL yeah, it will if the shakey islanders get behind it the way the "lucky country" guys have today.......

I presume you mean Tasman Series motor racing, as opposed to Tasman Cup soccer/football

For the young 'uns http://www.tasman-series.com/

Tasman Series Champions look at the names!!

2.5 Litre Tasman Formula

Season Driver Car Wins Podiums Points Margin (pnts)

1964 Bruce McLaren Cooper T70-Climax FPF 3 5 (7) 39 (47) 6

1965 Jim Clark Lotus 32B-Climax FPF 3 (4) 4 (5) 35 (44) 11

1966 Jackie Stewart BRM P261 4 5 45 15

1967 Jim Clark Lotus 33-Climax FPF 3 (5) 6 (8) 45 (63) 27

1968 Jim Clark Lotus 49T-Cosworth DFW 4 5 44 8

1969 Chris Amon Ferrari 246T 4 6 44 14

Formula 5000

Season Driver Car Wins Podiums Points Margin (pnts)

1970 Graeme Lawrence Ferrari 246T 1 5 30 5

1971 Graham McRae McLaren M10B-Chevrolet 3 5 35 4

1972 Graham McRae Leda GM1-Chevrolet 4 4 39 11

1973 Graham McRae McRae GM1-Chevrolet 3 5 40 11

1974 Peter Gethin Chevron B24-Chevrolet 2 5 41 15

1975 Warwick Brown Lola T332-Chevrolet 2 4 31 1

Unless I hear back from the mods that the have moved this thread to Events, or opened a thread for the NZPR at top level alongside the DUPR, this will have to serve as the official thread for the NZPR.

I DO plan to summarise the questions asked, and answers given in respect of the DUPR as a single posting, so that there is an easy to read summary of what has already been covered; so I suggest you give it till after the weekend, to save us all covering the same territory again.

Then, as soon as the other 8 people - or first 3 or 4 of them at least who SAID they were entering, return their entry confirming which group they are entering, AND bank their entry fees (most of them said they were doing it Thursday night but haven't), then I can publish a list of the Australian entries.

The kiwi entry numbers & names will take time to build up, but I will update the initial post periodically to add the new entries, so it stays as a complete list near the top of this thread.

NEXT, I will insert a post showing the host tracks, with pictures and specifications, which I will also update as we get the other host tracks confirmed.

After that can come the questions, arguements, obituaries (of those who even vaguely annoyed me), and whatever else arises.

Edited by SlotsNZ

ENTRY LIST

I had so many enquiries, almost simultaneously, I have bowed to Davnic74's suggestion that we let a few more north side of the ditch entries in, but PLEASE, if you said you were entering, do your transfer tonight!!!!

Australia - Confirmed - complete, and entries from Australia now closed.

Aastes

Davnic74 fixed

Devious Dave fixed

KalbfellP fixed

MoparDevil podded

oldslot fixed

pitlane3 podded

Sport Racer podded

Stig podded

New Zealand

slotsnz

chrisw fixed

Edited by SlotsNZ

Host track data

Confirmed tracks

Note that only urethane tyres like MJK, Kelmac, Ortmann (or home made urethanes) will provide best grip at some tracks, so tyre choice will probably be about the same as if you were setting up for the DUPR.

NPSR track

Lanes: 4

Length: approx 71 to 77 feet

Surface: 2 pack epoxy high gloss

Contacts: magnabraid (marginally recessed)

Power supply: a few hundred amps at 13.8 volts.

Running direction: anti-clockwise

Will be run "dry" having had the goo from metal chassis cars removed with solvent, and will be dust free

artdeco1.jpg

artdeco2.jpg

artdeco3.jpg

Oakland Raceway

Lanes: 3

Length: 18.5 metres (60.6 feet)

Power: 25 amp variable supply - normally I run at 13.8, but willing to take advice on voltage for the NZPR, maybe we go to 12......

Surface: acryclic semi-gloss floor clear over acrylic paint

Contacts: tinned copper braid

Running direction: anti-clockwise [ignore that the cars shown in the track shots as being clockwise, it was just "staging"]

Will be run dry, clean, no rubber build up

MJK shod GT cars typically around 6.2 seconds

aaoverall.jpg

aaoverall2.jpg

6cars.jpg

Orakei Raceway

Lanes: 4

Length: 50ft

Power: Regulated power supply up to 40 amps continuous output. We run at 13v

Surface: is straight gloss enamel paint over hardboard.

Contacts: Copper tape.

Type: wood routed track with equal radius corners (we weren't told to make them progressive until we finished routing) set up on 3 tables in a modula format ie we can vary the track layout by re-arranging the tables or increasing the size by adding a additional table section.

Main straight is approx 10.5 ft long

Running Direction: Clockwise

Average lap on rubber is about 5.5

Track surface is still pretty pristine. We cover the track when not used.

In terms of what rubber tyres work on it- Ortmanns, MJKs, even std scaley tyres and std fly rubber works but have found Ninco std and Procar tyres take a very long time to get up to decent optimum traction ie 100 laps plus . Haven't tried P3s or P6s on it, will test over Christmas.

Slot width is 2.6mm wide and depth is 4.67mm ie; won't take Slot.it wood guides and the slot.it after market grey and black screw held guides are a bit fat. Ninco pro-guides are fine as are the std guides that come with slot.it cars.

Lane width slightly wider than std Scalextric (about 82.5mm)

Timing: Lap timer software is Laptimer 2000 ver 6.0 for XP

orakei%20raceway.jpgorakei%20raceway2.jpg

orakei%20raceway3.jpgorakei%20raceway4.jpg

orakei%20raceway5.jpg

Edited by SlotsNZ

Summary of questions from the DUPR for areas already covered

PART ONE, (more to follow)

As soon as you graft in a SlotIt pod, it becomes a podded car, even if it's glued in solid!

1.2.6 A minimal amount of material may be removed from the area between the chassis ribs to allow fitment of a motor/axle cradle.

if your fitting a motor/axle cradle into a chassis that didn't originally have one (making it a group 2 car) you can remove minimal material to aid in that process.

1.2.13.1 Chassis, motor and rear axle to be one piece. i.e. If the original chassis is a solid one piece design it may not be articulated or have a floating motor/rear axle pod installed. All motor mounting points and rear axle position/method of installation must be as per original design (See notes)

As soon as you change any of these things, the car becomes a "group2" (podded) car.

1.2.13.3 ANY car from within the class may have its chassis may be modified to incorporate ANY commercially produced motor/rear axle pod except NSR. Modified chassis must be one piece between the axles and the wheel base must remain as standard (+/- 3mm). All motor mounting points and rear axle position/method of installation must be as per original design (See notes)

This just means, you can make any of the Group 1 cars in the list into a group 2 car.

I know the car isn't on the list but can i run the MRRC Toyota GT 1 other than SCX cars there is hardly any podded cars around in this class.

The Toyota is not a GT car! Look at the MB slot range and the Slot It Mclarens.

And your right Steve, a car with ground clearance which is fine at one track, may be grinding it's way around the next track.

I've set Jas's car up with 2mm at the front and rear on my track, that will drop to 1.5mm at the front at any of the "recessed braid" tracks.

Of the tracks I THINK will be hosting the NZPR, none has very much braid recess, but if they do it would only drop the chassis from the rear axle, leaning forward. This clearly won’t put the track at risk from a gear chopping into the surface or braid. I am prepared to say the clearance checks will be done on a setup block, NOT the track, so the recessing of the braid (or tape) is not an issue.

I'm not sure how you can measure 1.6mm ground clearance anyway...apart from finding odd bits of metal, that happen to measure 1.6mm and sticking it under the car

1/16th inch or 16 Gauge wire is 1.6mm

- Actually, chrisw has offered to do the initial scrutineer on all cars, he is our best car builder - being also involved in group racing at national level. He has also already made up a 1.6mm gauge for this purpose.

- NB: The NZPR is only 4 rounds, 3 of those rounds are likely to be on tracks which gives almost zero tyre wear; and the 4th, hopefully, will be a track with a sanded chalkboard type surface; so tyre wear is unlikely to become an issue at all. A car setup at 1.7mm is likely to finish up at 1.65mm more-or-less!!

- I DO HAVE SOME LINGERING CONCERN ABOUT ACHIEVING THE 1.6MM CLEARANCE THOUGH, AS FOR INSTANCE A SLOT.IT 18mm SPUR GEAR AND 21mm MJK4205 TYRES ON NINCO OR SLOT.IT 17 HUBS, GIVES A THEORETICAL GEAR CLEARANCE OF 1.5mm. - ( ACTUALLY ABOUT 1.7 ON MINE, AS THE TYRES STRETCH OVER THE HUBS) THEREFORE I WOULD LIKE SOME QUICK FEEDBACK ON THIS POINT!

Chrisw already built his car (always a man in a hurry), and he measured his at just over 1.6mm JUST

- Also thinking; angle-winder and sidewinder spurs are close to the wheel, as opposed to crowns midway between the wheels, therefore it is LESS likely for these spur gears to be able to come in contact with a track than a crown gear, for which the diameter is smaller, and often do not protrude below the chassis anyway. At this early stage, before too many people embark on their builds, I am open to butchering this one rule if it makes practical, common sense.

On the subject of hubs

1.4.7 Free choice of wheels (plastic, alloy hubs) however ALL hubs must be fitted with 3D wheel inserts replicating the styles of the period the 1:1 car raced in

As for what was used as a release date - No one place was used - if I had done so someone somewhere would say it was a available somewhere. The car list is complete = no additions

I was wondering what type of controllers the drivers will be using,

If you intend to drive in the 2009 proxy could you please specify your contoller including brakes no brakes ohms etc

As the NZPR proxy driver schedule will take a while to finalise, I can’t answer this definitively, but I can say all controllers will have brakes, and I would be extremely surprised if any of them wasn’t electronic. The mix will include Professor Motor, Slot.it, 3rd Eye, maybe a “Coast CD†“Powerhouse†black box; and probably Carsteen controllers. All except the PM controllers have one form or another of active braking built in. We will use the best drivers available, and plan to have drivers from “alternate group†to hat they personally entered, to drive the cars. Eg. Chrisw will drive “podded†entries, having entered himself in “fixedâ€

The regs ARE settled - I'm not changing anything - all I did was remove the reg about the CAR’s overall width which was based on wrong info supplied.

When it comes to the width of cars I did base this measurement not just on international rules but by also spending a great deal of time asking/researching manufacturers for their targeted production dimensions. Of those who responded none came back with a figure greater than 64mm. Perhaps the 64mm did only apply to the track not the body. All the angst this rule has caused was definitely not anticipated although it has caused lively debate. It is probably not a good idea to show what I personally believe but IMHO its easily fixed by removing the body width rule from mass produced cars and just stick with the track width as being the limiter. The aim is to have as many varieties of car racing as possible

The 64mm maximum width is applied to TRACK, - outside of tyre/wheel combo., measured by vernier scale.

If I have a 65mm wide car I can run 64mm track???? If I have a 60mm wide car I can run errrrr 60mm track. To me this is a performance advantage.

Yep., that’s life Jim, some cars are optimized for 1:1 racing, and some is optimized for slots racing, pick a fast one

Also, with the ninco cars, can the "white pro race" bodies be used, instead of stripping the paint off the RTR one so it can be painted??

No, the lexan bodies are not a body that came on any of the approved cars.

Refer also to

Ninco do kit cars, Flycar do kit cars so long as the chassis and the body are from the same kit then its legal

If you take the body from one and place it on a chassis from another then its not legal

If you buy a replacement body and put it on the chassis of THE SAME CAR then its OK

To make it simple - if you take a LEXUS SC430 #38 'TEAM DENT' 'DENSO body and put it on a LEXUS SC430 #16 'ECLIPSE' chassis its still the same car same body - diffrent paint

comes down to the same thing again

original chassis and body

can i put a "standard" Fly F40 body onto a Fly "Racing" chassis??

Did it come with the RTR car - no

so its not the original chassis

so its not legal as per the rules

some of the clear chassis are available for cars that don't come in "pro race" form, so they could be concidered as a normal spare part, because they are a genuine ninco spare.

Did it come with the RTR car - no

so its not the original chassis

so its not legal as per the rules

Edited by SlotsNZ

Okay, I'll ask now, before everyone gets too far down the track.

Do you want the Slot.it F40 added to the podded cars list, since it is due out in December and there aren't a whole heap of car options for that group. - gives 4 months to build and send....... Default will be "yes"

Edited by SlotsNZ

Do you want the Slot.it F40 added to the podded cars list, since it is due out in December and there aren't a whole heap of car options for that group. - gives 4 months to build and send....... Default will be "yes"

Yes,

It is basically the same as the FLY Racing F40 (podded).

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Mark, where did you get your answer for this question from?

Also, with the ninco cars, can the "white pro race" bodies be used, instead of stripping the paint off the RTR one so it can be painted??

I've had the OK to use the "ninco pro race white body" from steve.

p.s. they are not lexan bodies, they look like they are made from styrine plastic, but do come with the lexan interior.

i say no to the SlotIt F40, it wasn't released when entries were accepted.

(even though i'm not in the podded group)

I was going to mention that it might be a good idea to run a different class of car (from the DUPR) for the NZPR, that way we wont end up with a one make series when people find out which is the car to race by looking at whats winning in the DUPR.

Let the F40 in, that way, there will be at least 2 types of cars in the field. ;)

Looking at the tracks, will not have much comparison, as the tracks have different surfaces.

"If one does not fail at times,

then one has not challenged himself."

Ferdinand Porsche

Mark, where did you get your answer for this question from?

I've had the OK to use the "ninco pro race white body" from steve.

p.s. they are not lexan bodies, they look like they are made from styrine plastic, but do come with the lexan interior.

I was going to mention that it might be a good idea to run a different class of car (from the DUPR) for the NZPR, that way we wont end up with a one make series when people find out which is the car to race by looking at whats winning in the DUPR.

Well I don't know when he changed his mind as it is not in the thread, but Steve originally said no to that body, and I am saying no.

Very simply

1) those bodies create a definite technical advantage over the standard bodies, that's why they were created by Ninco.

2) There are only a few around, not available to everyone.

3) Several other things with similar situations have already received a no answer.

4) I do not think think going up-spec to racing bodies etc creates the sort of direction I think we want for this proxy, now, or going forward in future years. ie, we need some "caps" or the sky will be the limit, and we move too far towards "cheque-book racing" end of the continuum.

Note: 1.2.3 Body/chassis combination must be as supplied by manufacturer. i.e. No swapping of bodies and chassis between models or manufacturers

For those saying "different class", please re-read the very first post in this thread; and the 14th post. - Set in stone for very good reasons, otherwise I wouldn't have birthed the event. "big picture" needed on this - the long term development of proxy racing in NZ, and overall in Australasia.

BTW, what is winning in the DUPR might

a ) not be winnng later after running on different tracks and

b ) neither might be winning on the NZ tracks with different surfaces and

c ) different people might be winning based on ability to set up cars for different sorts of track

Those dont however negate the solid reasons I set up this series for the same class of car, same rules as Oz.

Edited by SlotsNZ