Track Idea...

polak

Hey guys

While I'm waiting for my SSD set to arrive from Red Racer Hobbies I have been brainstorming what part of the house I would like to take over in order to build a nice track. Because its Mum and Dads house it has to be somewhere so that its not in the way and not an inconvenience in anyway. That pretty much took any room in the house of the list :D So i looked at the double garage but my car goes in on one side and the other side is full of random stuff that takes up space. Also a no go. However in the back garage/shed there is a nice space I think I may be able to use. The bobcat which is in there will be moving soon(anybody want to buy a bobcat?) creating a lot more space. However I want to then be able to use this space to work on my car if I have to, but I also want to have a slot car wonderland.

Basically what the idea in that case is, create a mdf table top (approx 4500 x 2500), have some cable wire attached at each side and using a couple of pulleys attach it to an electric winch so that I can raise and lower the track as desired.

Im not sure if this is overly ambitious but I think it would be great if I could get it to work.

Has anybody done anything similar to this? What are your thoughts on this guys? I would love to know you opinions

Cheers

David

Hey guys

While I'm waiting for my SSD set to arrive from Red Racer Hobbies I have been brainstorming what part of the house I would like to take over in order to build a nice track. Because its Mum and Dads house it has to be somewhere so that its not in the way and not an inconvenience in anyway. That pretty much took any room in the house of the list :D So i looked at the double garage but my car goes in on one side and the other side is full of random stuff that takes up space. Also a no go. However in the back garage/shed there is a nice space I think I may be able to use. The bobcat which is in there will be moving soon(anybody want to buy a bobcat?) creating a lot more space. However I want to then be able to use this space to work on my car if I have to, but I also want to have a slot car wonderland.

Basically what the idea in that case is, create a mdf table top (approx 4500 x 2500), have some cable wire attached at each side and using a couple of pulleys attach it to an electric winch so that I can raise and lower the track as desired.

Im not sure if this is overly ambitious but I think it would be great if I could get it to work.

Has anybody done anything similar to this? What are your thoughts on this guys? I would love to know you opinions

Cheers

David

G-day Polak that idea has been tried by several blokes on here with reasonable success if you go back through previous posts i'm sure you will find reference to this or someone who has done it will reply. good luck and have fun

I was thinking of the hinge to the wall and fold up vertically, but the only problem I can see would be the skirting around the edges of the table to stop the cars taking a 100 foot scale nose dive off edge. They'd probably be about 10cm high and would get int he way of a hinge unelss you could clamp them on or fold them down as well..

Thanks for the responses guys. Big help. I think I will go along with the idea of a roof suspended track.

Looks like my idea is more common place than i originally thought lol. Just another question though for those of you who have created a pulley system for suspended track...Where did you buy your pulleys from? Ive seen a few at my local bunnings but nothing I think will suit job.

Cheers,

David

another place that you can source your pulleys and rope from is your local marine centre.My dad and i made up our own winch and pulley setup to raise and lower my track with marine pulleys and rope and a discarded hand winch from his work.It worked a treat.

another place that you can source your pulleys and rope from is your local marine centre.My dad and i made up our own winch and pulley setup to raise and lower my track with marine pulleys and rope and a discarded hand winch from his work.It worked a treat.

Sweet as. thanks for all the help guys