Sign in to follow this  
old_skool_m

Scalextric Digital Videos And Pics

I had a look at the first three. The race looks interesting but I noticed a lot of crashes. It would take a while to get used to but if they are more responsive than the Carrera digital system then I could imagine digital will become more popular. I have heard the SCX system is more like their normal cars to drive.

I like the chip interchangability in the Scalextric cars so you can use any of your Scalextric cars. Would be good if other brands of cars are compatible by just fitting the chip to them. Te first manufacturer to offer this will have an advantage as it won't isolate the people who have thousands invested in their existing tracks and cars.

We received our shipment of SCX Digital sets yesterday. I have been after the 3 car DTM Digi set for myself for some time.

I have driven both the Carrera and SCX Digital systems much earlier in the year and after reading up on the SCX as much as possible decided to go with that for home use as we have a very small house.

Might install the Carrera Pro X Digital Stock Car banked oval in the shop if I can squeeze it in somewhere.

Anyhow, back to last night. It was great fun, the racing and lane changing was awesome to say the least. The choice of racing lines with the 4 lane changers in the SCX system really brings an offset oval alive. More than once I heard the comment " I've never had so much fun on an oval"

I'm surprised Tracey got any sleep with all the noise we were making, we raced from 11pm till 2 am. :lol:

The SCX system has a plunger built into the guide that is activated by an electro magnet, this reaches down further into the slot and activates the lane change gate.

We decided to use the Novice setting (cars programmed to have less power) for the 6.5 mtr offset oval and found this was plenty fast enough. The std 18 volt power supply did well with the 3 cars and only very minimal surging was detected occasionally.

Crashes were very different (looked more realistic to us) with only the occasional "big one" if a driver stopped and another ran up his rear.

It's surprising how easy it is to drive less than a car length behind your fellow racers.

We all certainly have to learn how to use the best lines for passing moves. Some of the moves were just simply brilliant to say the least, it was geat fun and I'm sure Digital is going to be very popular. It'll be great to be able to race 6 cars on a larger 2 laner, which will definitely suit those with space constraints.

The cars feel and respond normally, didn't feel like they have brakes, but then again SCX cars pull up pretty hard anyway.

If I can find time this week, I'll write a review with pics.

I can see the next few months will be very expensive for me personally as I'd like to have all 4 Digi systems, can't wait for Scalextric's release at the end of this month.

:D

Cheers for now

Roland

Hi Roland / OSM

Will the digital track ever fit on to the scx or old scaley track or do we have to start again and buy all the digital track. and do i understand you right can we put a chip in our old scaley cars to use them as digital.

Regards Peter

ps the videos are great thanks OSM

Hi Peter,

in brief...

SCX Digital is stand alone. From a quick glimpse it looks like dark grey Ninco track, wider rails and the insulator...

SCX, Ninco and Scalex Classic tracks can be adapted to Scalextric Digital which is based on the current Sport track design.

You'll be able to buy:

Complete Digi sets

Adaptor sets with 2 cars and require hardware.

Controller/Car sets.

Controllers

Cars

Retro chips for recent model cars

:blink: That's all I can think of this late at night

Cheers for now

Roland

Got this link from a thread over at Slot Forum.

There's some pretty interesting videos of the new digital stuff, including one where the guy is racing against 5 other cars pre-programmed to do a certain speed.

Scalextric Digital Vid's

Hello all,

Good Forum you guys have here, thought I would visit.

Just a quick note on the Sport Digital Video's those are from Slot Car Illustrated not Slot Forum.

Cheers

Happy New Year to you all.

Alan

PS There was mention in this Forum of an aftermarket power supply someone is using with Sport Digital, anyone have any info on this supply.

Also someone asked about compatability with older track the Sport system can be hooked to Scalextric Classic, SCX or with adaptors Ninco track.

Carrrera Digital can be added to an existing Carrera track. It is important to remove the Analog Power Base and Controller hook ups on both systems though.

You can email me at alan@slotcarillustrated.com if you have spec's on the Power Supply.

Alan

Glad to see you visit. We in Australia are nowhere as big as SCI but we are a close bunch and love sharing ideas and experiences with each other.

Hope you visit often your experience and comments would be very much appreciated.

Next to Auslot, SCI is next on my favourites list

Charlie

HI all, here's some footage of SSD running 3/4 cars (converted Scalex Porsche 911s).

Digital SSD & Challenger Videos

enjoy

Dave,

awesome, captures the fun of digital really well. Also, first time I've seen your track, looks great fun in it's own right too.

OK, so I'm gonna have to try some conversions myself now, as it looks more fun with 'real' or should I say our normal cars. Think I'll try and start easy, with the new Vipers, then maybe do two of the TVR's if there's room. Did you have to do much other than a solder job?

Cheers.

Mike

hi Mike, thanks for that, you're welcome anytime.

The process really only involved minor soldering and minor dremeling/cutting.

The Porsches just needed the passenger seat to be cut out of the interior, and the chip was happy to sit length ways inside that space.

With some cars you'll have to increase length of wires to the pickup and perhaps the IR chip. The supplied cars have very short leads (no interior to consider).

I successfully converted a FLY Porsche 908 and it is bloody fabulous (especially on 13v !) - ez conversion - minor cuts to interior.

Last night I stripped the chip from a Porsche and put that into a Vectra.

With all but the Vectra I have used the front magnet hole for the IR chip, I wrapped a PVC collar around it and glued the IR on top. There are pics of my conversions and detailed description on slotforum.com.

Hanging out to do a SlotIt Porsche 956, they scream on 12volts and may just perform better with the power limitations we are experiencing.

cheers

The process really only involved minor soldering and minor dremeling/cutting.

The Porsches just needed the passenger seat to be cut out of the interior, and the chip was happy to sit length ways inside that space.

With some cars you'll have to increase length of wires to the pickup and perhaps the IR chip. The supplied cars have very short leads (no interior to consider).

I successfully converted a FLY Porsche 908 and it is bloody fabulous (especially on 13v !) - ez conversion - minor cuts to interior.

Last night I stripped the chip from a Porsche and put that into a Vectra.

With all but the Vectra I have used the front magnet hole for the IR chip, I wrapped a PVC collar around it and glued the IR on top. There are pics of my conversions and detailed description on slotforum.com.

Hanging out to do a SlotIt Porsche 956, they scream on 12volts and may just perform better with the power limitations we are experiencing.

cheers

Dave,

somehow I'd missed your process pics on slotforum, but having looked at what you've done i'm even more impressed.

I got as far as taking the bodies from the potential donor car (Audi TT) and the anticipated recipient (Viper competition coupe) last night, and although it looks straight forward once I get some slightly longer leads, I'll likely wait for the official conversion kits, which should make it even simpler because the sensor board will still have its' virgin mount holes, not stuffed with melted black plastic from the audi mounts.

So my next thought, is to look at something else that's got room to take the boards without needing the dremel being taken to the interior - considering my Fly Alfa's, either the 147 or the 156's (be a good test for the PSU, with its' racing motor), the V8's or the Scalextric TVR's. uhmm, decisions, decisions.

I'll wait for the small single seater upgrade chips before attempting my Slot-It's, Le Mans and F1 cars.

I can see we're in for some fun, I have F1, Slot.It, Fly Classics, Scalex Minis & Scalex classic F1s slated for chpping. hope they arrive soooooooooon!