New Rally Track In The Wings

hoffy

A few months ago, I thought I might give this rally thing a try. My plan was to build a modular track that could easily fit in the back of a small wagon.

Well, me being me and Triggy damn well knowing it, Triggy thought it might be a good idea if we do this thing together...at least it might get done this side of 2020.....So plans were drawn up, materials sourced and with plenty of Trigg blood sweat and tears, this is where we are up to:

Rally%20track%20construction%20001a.jpg

Marked out and ready to go. The layout started out as a rough sketch in my head, transfered to paper and then refined by triggy. To the left, you can see the routing guide ready for use. Its the grey plumbing pipe that is used in most modern houses.

Rally%20track%20construction%20002a.jpg

First slots being routed. We also decided to use 6mm MDF and route all the way through (hence why its sitting on a sacrificial board). The thought process behind this was to give it some more flex. In hindsight, it proved to be a bit more difficult then that, to keep the pieces in the right spot.

Rally%20track%20construction%20007.jpg

Routed and ready for the next stage....

Setting up the elevations...

Rally%20track%20construction%20010.jpg

And the elevations in place, ready for the next phase:

Rally%20track%20construction%20013.jpg

Rally%20track%20construction%20017.jpg

Rally%20track%20construction%20019.jpg

Now, the only credit I can take is for the original Idea, the braid and the loan of the router. Triggy is the one who has done all the hard work, dealt with my lame brain ideas (WHO uses 6mm MDF...seriously) but has kept the project on track (no pun intended)

More to come!

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

OK, the previous post should have been the one that I did a month ago...but me being too obsessed with other things (see the bottom of this post), it didn't happen (See what I told you about 2020!)

Now, we have gotten that out of the way, where is the track up to now?

Rally%20track%20construction%20001.jpg

Rally%20track%20construction%20002.jpg

The track is now officially 3 pieces, has some boarders, some cutting and shutting and the most important part, some plaster work has started!

Again, thanks to Triggy as its his handy work you are seeing here.

And for me....well i have been spending too much time with my other hobbies (no, I'm behind the camera, not the wheel)

WEB94DSC05172.jpg

More updates (about the rally track, not the photography) as things progress!

Edited by hoffy

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

Ohhhh lads, super work. you know it brings a tear to my eye to see someone building a dedicated routed single lane rally track.

How big is the table/box that it sits in ?

Once again, thanks for the update, worth waiting for and look forward to the next one.

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

Great stuff so far fellas! (Though I did wonder why you thought 9mm wouldn't bend that much... ;))

What sort of scenery theme will this track get?

Couldn't resist adding some trees to 'the esses', hope you don't mind!

Rally20track20construction20019.jpg

But Triggy ought to add some of his fine examples I reckon....

Completedtrackpics032.jpg

What's the purpose of the 'portability'? Is it going to get out a lot? Where to?

Power supply etc?

Keep us updated.... use your passion for photography to get more pics of the build Hoffy!!!

;)

Dick

Edited by knoath

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Phoeno: The track is 2.4 x 1.2 and pulls apart to 3@1.2x.8

knoath: As it is a joint venture it needed to be portable so we could easily take it to each others house when we wanted to use it, and also be able to share the experinece with others out and about. There won't be any greenerey on this one. It is named "Limestone Pass" so it will be barren and dusty Light colored tones. The straight on the high side will actually be bitumen then you turn off into "the pass" then back onto it . It was an absolute pain in the a$$ to fix the 6mm to the elevations because it was separated by the slot, but with my cool, ;) calm ;) and collected ;) approach I finally broke through the barrier and got it all fixed down :D . The trees do look good on it but would make driving sight a bit difficult I think. Power supply will be a small 12v supply and timing will probably be SRM2.4 via deadstrip ( Rick1776) The electrical side is Hoffy's baby.

Normal people worry me

Nice work! I'd actually had those "crazy" thoughts of using 6mm MDF as well, but still haven't even got around to building a test track. But daylight savings starts next week in WA, so hoping I can throw a few hours at it (and finishing off my aviary!)

Cheers

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
I finally put in the effort to find ya posts on Auslot with the pics of the rally track , it was worth the search effort , looking good so when can we play on it ?

Hopefully in about 4 weeks time. We only have Sundays free. ( does that make it a month of Sundays? ;) )

Normal people worry me

I finally put in the effort to find ya posts on Auslot with the pics of the rally track , it was worth the search effort , looking good so when can we play on it ?

Hopefully in about 4 weeks time. We only have Sundays free. ( does that make it a month of Sundays? ;) )

that will make it about 8 months !!!! :):huh:

winning is so over-rated

Hopefully in about 4 weeks time. We only have Sundays free. ( does that make it a month of Sundays? :D )

that will make it about 8 months !!!! :D:D

ha ha is next year a leap year ? :D

• 3 months later...

Well, Hoffy & I have pulled our finger out and almost finished this "little" project. We were hoping to get some paint down today, but after powering it up and doing some test laps we had to reroute 2 corners, so no painting today, but it does work well. Painting will happen over the long weekend ( in SA ) next weekend, then we are ready to run the final round of the 08/09 rally proxy.

DSCF1954.jpg

There will be a bit of bitumen road then the dusty limestone quarry, so a bit of color will certainly lift it and give it character.

Normal people worry me

Well, Hoffy & I have pulled our finger out and almost finished this "little" project. We were hoping to get some paint down today, but after powering it up and doing some test laps we had to reroute 2 corners, so no painting today, but it does work well. Painting will happen over the long weekend ( in SA ) next weekend, then we are ready to run the final round of the 08/09 rally proxy.

DSCF1954.jpg

There will be a bit of bitumen road then the dusty limestone quarry, so a bit of color will certainly lift it and give it character.

Ah Ha ... So it was you loitering around in the members home tracks section.

I thought you may have been searching to update the rally track postings . Well it has been a month of Sundays maybe two months of Sundays :) A new photo ! Just one ? come on your drip feeding us Triggy you big tease :P Are you painting today or just sitting back reading Auslot and having a relaxing Sunday ?

Well this one looks tame compared to the undulating rise and fall job that BMR has and variation is a good thing as that is what makes rally a good sport for the variation. I think Waynes suggestion of a rally mini proxy for scr is good. It gives me an excuse to buy a new car and get into the shed. Might go somethig different an Avant slot peugeot or a spirit all those nincos in the proxy means i would like to try something different.

Edited by first corner crash

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Well, Hoffy & I have pulled our finger out and almost finished this "little" project.

DSCF1954.jpg

Looking good fellas. IMO it is unlike all the previous tracks with more straights with some sweeping and tight corners. We could be in for some surprises in the top three. Hoffy then who? That said Hoffy, Devious and BMR/Oldslot would be a good trifecta to put your money on.

Cannot see my "pocket rocket" in the front like the last round - but it is a "dark horse"!

Pocketrocket.jpg

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Our track is certainly smoother than BMR's. I have done a few laps on it with last years rally proxy car and am happy with the way it runs. Color goes on tomorrow (public holiday here in SA for the Adelaide Cup horse race)

Normal people worry me

Well, Hoffy & I have pulled our finger out and almost finished this "little" project.

DSCF1954.jpg

Looking good fellas. IMO it is unlike all the previous tracks with more straights with some sweeping and tight corners. We could be in for some surprises in the top three. Hoffy then who? That said Hoffy, Devious and BMR/Oldslot would be a good trifecta to put your money on.

Cannot see my "pocket rocket" in the front like the last round - but it is a "dark horse"!

Pocketrocket.jpg

The little black stealth machine would be worth a buck or two at the TAB as well I think . Its a great car

Well TF that's over. The Rally track is finally finished!

Don't worry about the big joins. The track hasn't been clamped together.

Rallytrackconstruction1011.jpg

Rallytrackconstruction017.jpg

Rallytrackconstruction101.jpg

Rallytrackconstruction104.jpg

Rallytrackconstruction018.jpg

Rallytrackconstruction108.jpg

Our Rally cars before we posted them off

Rallytrackconstruction002.jpg

Same corner now

Rallytrackconstruction105.jpg

Our rally will be run next week, probably Tues 17th & Wed 18th March.

Normal people worry me

Looking good lads.

Those rocks from the national park north of the Wilpena Pound look a worry. :alcohol:

What is the track surface/s?

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Looking good lads.

Those rocks from the national park north of the Wilpena Pound look a worry. :alcohol:

What is the track surface/s?

The rocks ( your normal garden variety from the landscaping supplies) will only be an issue for the wider cars, yours will get through nicely Mel :bday:

Track surface is Solarguard acrylic paint.

Edited by triggy

Normal people worry me

Are the three cars facing in the direction the track will run ?

Well done guys it looks great , will you be painting the white background / side board up to look like sky ?

Yes Steve, the cars are pointing in the direction of travel.

The white background is actually a light blue, so it is the sky!

Normal people worry me