Skaife Ve Commodore

WKM

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job there Dave.

Speaking of your track... what's happening?

Hmmm a track, well still doing the garden thing atm just finished building the back shed sunday, a few more thing's to do and should be into a new track over the Christmas break (i hope)

Edited by Davnic74

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

I have foud it easier to repair broken wings on these VE's than on previous Holdens..The rear wing on this new car breaks if you breathe on it too hard..But its easy to cut the slots real deep on the car boot and run the wing posts in much deeper making use of the wider,stronger part of the struts,rather than the pin end sized mounting points..

The ones I have repaired look good and have not as yet re broken

Got another one to fix tomorrow..I will post a pic..

Phil

I think you guys should go back to the other topics, this guy has put in a lot of work and is proud to show us, the forum will get a bit dull if guys like this stop posting because of some dumb remarks ;)

Nice job of the car, love to see the progress pics :nice:

Edited by Paul NZ

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Congratulations Imkouwl, you had that Holden running sweet tonight. Bloody fast, pity about the driver though :o

Yeah yeah I know, my GT1 sucked big time.

Thanks Rick

It seems the car had the pace to keep up, maybe the motor is now run in.

Your right about the driving skill Im sure In the hands of a competent driver like yourself :o It would have won on all 4 lanes :o maybe its time for you to join the red team again.

I was quite happy snagging a 5.9 second lap on blue lane, very good for a scaley.

anyway stay tuned as Im hoping to have the details of my build ready by the end of the week.

Cheers

SCR%20logo.jpg

Scaife modified V8

As you can see the 1/32 scaled model is not that accurate, the most noticeable is the height and mag wheels. I didn’t bother to do at test run straight out of the box. I decided that when Scalextirc put an interior into the V8s then I will test the car straight out the box. I must admit the decals look good and the body workmanship looks good as well.

ScafieV8commodore001.jpg

You will also notice that the front wheels are out side the guards

ScafieV8commodore002.jpg

Nothing special on the inside all looks standard.

ScafieV8commodore003.jpg

Ok let’s start the modifications

Cut the bearing supports off this will help in allowing the body to move, don’t worry about the bearings they will be glued in later.

ScafieV8commodore004.jpg

Give the body clearance by trimming 1-2mm off the chassis all the way around and a bit more at the front corner.

ScafieV8commodore006.jpg

File away the recess for the body supports

ScafieV8commodore008.jpg

Then using a drill bit enlarge the holes by hand. Don’t go any bigger than the head of the screw for obvious reasons.

ScafieV8commodore009.jpg

Now’s probably a good time to run the motor in. remove the motor from the chassis, place on a suitable surface and run on 3 to 5 V DC for 15min. I used an old nokia phone charger.

ScafieV8commodore011.jpg

Remove all the axles and guide place the chassis on a set up board and check to make sure the chassis is not twisted. I will not go into the procedure for straightening the chassis there is plenty of information around for that. Allow for the raised writing on the bottom of the chassis

ScafieV8commodore012.jpg

I replaced the front guide because IMO the standard guide is not that good. I used a cut down version of a slotit wood guide.

To do this you need to bush the guide support. I used a plastic lolly stick which I split, cut and glued into the guide support.

ScafieV8commodore013.jpg

Time to put the motor back in I like to hot glue all my parts in, I find it easier to work with especially if you’re new to slot cars, as you have the freedom to remove the glue at a later stage or if you just stuff it up the first time. The down side is it doesn’t last a long time and you will need to check it regularly to see if it has let go. A harsh deslot can some times be a cause for the hot glue to fail.

ScafieV8commodore018.jpg

ScafieV8commodore017.jpg

I replace the rear axle with a drill blank MJK bushes, rims, tyres and Slotit gear

Instead of lowering the body I raised the rear axle this also helped with the gear alignment. To do this, the axle had to move back and up. Using a small file I removed some material from the bush supports.

ScafieV8commodore016.jpg

Make sure you have your guide flag and braid installed into the chassis.

Roll 2 peaces of plasticine or bluetack as shown.

ScafieV8commodore019.jpg

Place the chassis on the plasticine and check that all four corners are the same height.

ScafieV8commodore020.jpg

At this stage it is very important to check for alignment and clearance.

Sit the rear axle assembly into position place the body over the top.

I found the wheels to be a bit wider than the body, don’t panic relax its not that bad (it is really)

I have compared this to the FORD and found that they are about 2-3mm wider mainly because of the shape of the body and therefore the guards can be enlarged.

So to get the wheels inside the guards I ground the hub on the alloy rims, ground the chassis to allow the axle bushes to move in, ground the outside of the tyre which reduces tyre width (traction) and removed some material from the inside of the guard. Be very careful grinding the body, take your time! When you see the decal from the inside you have gone too far.

ScafieV8commodore021.jpg

With the rear axle in place ensure the axle and motor are parallel and that the gears are meshed correctly

I moved the alloy rims and gear away from the bushes so that any excess glue didn’t stick to the gear or alloy rim. It’s also a good idea to oil the axle (lightly) don’t get any oil on the surfaces you are about to glue. Put some hot glue under the bushes and then push the axle and bushes into position you will have time to adjust as the glue cools. Put more glue over the top of the bushes and around the base of the bush and motor joining the two together. Once the glue sets use a sharp knife to remove any excess glue.

ScafieV8commodore022.jpg

For the front axle I used the scaley rear bushes and glued them on the inside. Grind the chassis allowing the front alloy rims to move in. I also removed some of the hub off the alloy rim and ground the inside of the guard. I used a low profile tyre which looks out of scale but it’s a sacrifice needed for the car to perform, I also coated the tyre with nail polish.

ScafieV8commodore026.jpg

Make sure the front wheels are just of the set up board, turn them without the car moving forward. To achieve this I shimmed the flag with NSR shim washers.

ScafieV8commodore027.jpg

I ground about 2-3mm off the font body supports to get the body level and low.

ScafieV8commodore029.jpg

So far the car is keeping up with the Fords, racing at 6 pines the car seemed to handle quite well just lacked a little pace. At my own track it was as quick but seemed to deslot a lot more but that could be more like a driver issue.

This setup worked for me and there are no guarantees that it will work for every body. I am still learning myself and no doubt some will have a different idea if so please feel free to add to this thread.

Good luck GO HOLDENS

SCR%20logo.jpg

Excellent article. Even a non handy person like me could follow this. I think after this season i am going to build a new v8 or rebuild the one i did a bit without much idea what i was doing. some great tips here. stiiffening up the front by gluing in some bearings is a great tip. I do that to nincos but for some unknown reason dopey me didnt do it to the v8. Great workmanship!

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Do you want me to do one on the Falcon in case you want to change sides to keep up?

That would be like asking some one if they would like to be gay when they are absolutely dead straight :huh::o

As Triggy said "Well done Wayne on a great pictorial 'How to' "

Excellent and thank you Wayne!

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Well done Wayne on a great pictorial " How to ".

Do you want me to do one on the Falcon in case you want to change sides to keep up?

The Fords dont need any mods Triggy, theyre on the pace right out of the box. But you knew that didnt you :D Just trying to be nice to those red boys. :lol:

cheers

rick1776

Well done Wayne on a great pictorial " How to ".

If I was to build a F#$D sorry I almost chocked :lol: there would be no rivalry and racing would become very ordinary. Some one has to keep waving the red flag and not switch teams just to have a race advantage. In saying that I have just purchased the 888 car not for racing though not yet anyway.

Well done,great job on your car,you make it look easy.I'd like to know how long it took you to complete all that work.Good luck in beating those darksiders. :lol::D:lol: :nice:

I like to take my time with things like this and somethings where my first attempt, all up including thinking around 10Hrs. This Includes the photos.

Cheers

SCR%20logo.jpg

Hmmmm Wayne, I had a read of the club rules regards mods to cars and I think your mods are legal? Will have to talk to the tech committe rep on Monday night. :D Errr thats you isnt it Wayne? :lol:

yes show me in the rules where it says moving the axle position is legal Wayne ? making the rules up as we go are we ?

Hmmmm Wayne, I had a read of the club rules regards mods to cars and I think your mods are legal? Will have to talk to the tech committe rep on Monday night. :D Errr thats you isnt it Wayne? :lol:

yes show me in the rules where it says moving the axle position is legal Wayne ? making the rules up as we go are we ?

Thought moving the axle was very clever! Why bother lowering the body when you can lower the chassis to the track? Might have to check the rules again but i thought it was a 1.2mm clearnce and as these things sit pretty high. I reckon Wayne might be safe.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Thought moving the axle was very clever! Why bother lowering the body when you can lower the chassis to the track? Might have to check the rules again but i thought it was a 1.2mm clearnce and as these things sit pretty high. I reckon Wayne might be safe.

Inventive rule reading seems to have become the norm at SCSC , if the rules say you can do something then its ok but if the rules don't say you can do something then that doesnt mean you can do it ... not without without approval of all the members anyway, if rules are open to interpretation without consultation then whats stopping other mods from slipping by because theres nothing in the rules that says ya cant do "X" ?

eg 1) Can I drop the motor lower in the chassis and use some of those nice offset inline gears to compensate for the motor centreline not lining up with the rear axle anymore because the motor now sits 2-3 mm lower in the chassis ?

eg2) Can I use the rules to an extreme and cut the body and widen it 10mm because the rules only say the tyres must be inside the body theres nothing in the rules about how wide the body can be ???