Brabham Bt44

Terry

Can anyone help please?

My next project will be the Brabham Martini BT44 F1 car.

The scaley version will be what I will be using and its somewhat shorter than the Shadow I just finished and the scaley M23 MacLaren.

Can anyone help me with the wheelbase and track measurements please?

I've googled but no luck.

Many thanks.

Terry

Edited by terry

Can anyone help please?

My next project will be the Brabham Martini BT44 F1 car.

The scaley version will be what I will be using and its somewhat shorter than the Shadow I just finished and the scaley M23 MacLaren.

Can anyone help me with the wheelbase and track measurements please?

I've googled but no luck.

Many thanks.

Terry

Hi Terry,

below is the info from the Tamiya Instruction booklet.

Hope this will help your project.

Overall Length: 4296mm

Overall Height: 1284mm

Overall Width: 1992mm

Wheelbase: 2413mm

Track width, Front:1422.4mm

Rear:1549.4mm

Weight: 578kg

"If one does not fail at times,

then one has not challenged himself."

Ferdinand Porsche

The problem seems to be at this stage,wheelbase.

The scaley version has a wheelbase of 63mm,the true to scale wheelbase is 76mm!

My initial thoughts would be to use a M23 scaley chassis as I did for the Shadow,trouble here is that the scaley M23 wheelbase is 85mm!

So,certainly the scaley body is too short,I can probably "cut and stretch" the body to squeeze a few extra mm out of it,but I don't want to spoil the look of the thing.

Thanks for all the input guys,it all helps to help me get a good picture of where to go with this.

Terry

Well,thanks to all who gave me some direction in finding the correct wheelbase for the BT44,as I said earlier the problems were that the scaley version had a very short wheelbase of around 65mm,some 10mm shorter than the correct scale measurement,and to compound the problem the intended chassis was to be the excellent scaley Maclaren M23 which had a wheelbase of 84mm!

bt44a-1.jpg

So this is what I started with,got it off ebay about 2 years ago,the inspiration behind this was the same car was done by Jay Hardy,an excellent example of what could be done with this model.

As the body was 10mm too short , I was left with no option but to extend the body.

brabhamfilled.jpg

Cut the body using my Dremel,(I know I should have used a razor saw),with styrene used as a filler,lots of reinforcement and epoxy.

Once I was happy with the body I then turned my attention to the chassis,which was 10mm too long,again with the Dremel ,I cut the chassis in two and rejoined it using a combination of piano wire and epoxy.

chassiscut.jpg

More work to be done,but for now good enough to work on getting the chassis to fit the body.

Much grinding cutting and generally "massaging" the area around the front axles was needed to get the front axle and suspension bits in to fit.

Still got a fair way to go,the fit is almost there,just a little bit of tweaking,then I can start on the body,filling and sanding,then more sanding,and once I think I'm almost ready for paint.......still more sanding.

chassisfitted.jpg

I'm done for today,more to follow.

Terry

Edited by terry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
As always looking Terry. Have you finished it? It looks like it's time to pull my Brabham out and rework the chassis. Give us an update.

The build has stalled!!

I'm flat out getting the track finished and have tried to concentrate on that,should be done this week,then Ill have more time to finish off those projects.

Terry

Terry,

Your Shadow build has been wonderful to follow, and inspired me to do the same to the Scalextric 007 I'd gotten. I'm awaiting decals to finish it up.

Additionally, I picked up 2 DN1s to replicate your efforts and the BT44 and JPS Lotus 77. I'm using the M23 chassis under each of them. I've got decals on order for all of them as well.

I really like the way your BT44 is going! I'm doing things just a bit different though, and I've cut the car through the cockpit to deal with the wheelbase. I'm not quite done getting it even close to back together, so I'll post later.

Thanks for showing us how great these cars can look and run!

• 2 years later...

Well....

I sort of put the Brabham in the too hard basket,the more I looked at it the worse it appeared,I kept thinking the section between the driver and the front axle was all wrong.

I do have some other older F1 bodies here,which I think are closer to the real thing,no Brabhams unfortunately but some rather okay Maclarens and Lotus(or is it Loti?)

Seems to be that I have a growing list of things to do,and none of them are getting done,I've been diverted by Subaru Sports Sedans and the like.

Terry