Sign in to follow this  
aquapaul

Raymond Motors???

Hi,

I'm new to collecting vintage scalextric cars and recently bought a C77 Ford GT 40 on ebay. From my research I learned that they came out with a Raymond motor. I found some pics of a Raymond on a website and it was depicted as having a blue casing. Mine is silver. It looks very similar except the blue one has an oval shaped opening in the casing and mine is rectangular. Were there different types of Raymonds? Does anyone know about them? Mine has scalextric written on it. Please advise me on this.

Thanks,

Paul.

Hi,

I'm new to collecting vintage scalextric cars and recently bought a C77 Ford GT 40 on ebay. From my research I learned that they came out with a Raymond motor. I found some pics of a Raymond on a website and it was depicted as having a blue casing. Mine is silver. It looks very similar except the blue one has an oval shaped opening in the casing and mine is rectangular. Were there different types of Raymonds? Does anyone know about them? Mine has scalextric written on it. Please advise me on this.

Thanks,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

From my own collection, I can say that there were at least 4 different coluored cans on the Raymond motors, Blue, Grey, Silver and Pink.

As far as I know, they are all identical motors, and are entirely interchangeable, except for the pink one, which was only used on the You-Steer cars and has a slightly shorter shaft. They can be used with a normal axle, but you need to put spacers between the contrate and the gearbox, as the shaft does not protude far enough to slot into the groove in the contrate gear, and hold it in place.

Mind you, I am only talking from experience with my own large collection of Raymond powered cars. I don't have any of the scalex guide books or anything, which might shed more light onto the variety of colours available in this motor. Hopefully, someone else out there can verify this for both of us.

Regards,

Edited by grt

Graeme

~~~~~~

(Life is like a sewer....................What you get out of it depends on what you put into it!)

My Website

GRT is right, they came in four colours. Now my memory is a little vague about the holes in the can. They definitely came with oval ends and they also had rectangular ends. Im not sure which came out first and Im not sure if both types were made by the same manufacturer. I have this notion that the oval and rectangular cans were made by different manufacturers but dont quote me.

Try sending Derek an email. If this guy doesnt know then no one will.

http://www.derekcooper.co.uk/index.html

cheers

rick1776

cheers

rick1776

Hi all,

There are conflicting reports about these motors and their names. Some collectors call them Johnson 222's. From my experience the grey can is the fastest. I have 3 cars with grey can motors and they are around 2000 rpm faster than the blue can. The silver can with the rectangular vent holes is slightly faster and smoother than the blue can. The pink can is a lot slower, around 5000 rpm slower than a blue can. They all had blind bearings at the can end. Later cars came out with a dull brass coloured can with a 'through' bearing on the can side with similar performance to the blue can.