hoffy

Are You A Collector Or A Racer

Are you a Collector or a Racer  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to collect slot cars (never to be used), or do you prefer them to be used regularly on the track?

• I buy to collect only - I look at it as in investment & for future trading
    • I like the look, so shelf queens are my go
    • I like collecting, but I also like to do some laps. Not really competitive, but its nice to see how they go
    • I usually by 2 or more of each. One to sit on the self. One to be thrashed
    • I am a racer man! Once I have finished with a slotcar, it looks like its done 1000 laps at Paramatter Speedway

My only shelf queen at the moment is also a 917k, this one.

99074.jpg

I can't ever seem to get 917's to go well, but, boy is it a great looking car.

Oh well, this will soon be sold or traded i think.

Damn!!! Everybody seems to beat me to those!! (Tho I did get the green-'un)

Oh yeah... I race all mine ;)

Well, interesting results. I thought there were more shelf queen collectors around. Happy to be proven wrong either way!

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

I am not a collector but have bought a few Auto Art Lamborghini's lately. They come out when I feel like lapping in one of my many supercars and just can't decide. Most of my Slot.it's don't race but they are regular drivers. The only shelf queens are my Bob Jane Camaro's and 1 Moffat Mustang of the couple I have. Have enough Trans Am's for them to look pretty. 3 shelf queens out of 170 odd cars is enough.

I figure if they have motors, gears, and a guide, they are meant to be run, so I run them all...albeit carefully at first, at least until they start to lose a few parts, then...well, what the hell....go for it.

If I buy 2 of a particular model, I race them both when the mates are here so the racing is as even as possible.

I do admit though, I have a couple of old Carrera cars I only bring out when the grandkids are here (cannon fodder)....they are about 50% epoxy now and probably weigh about a kilo or so each, with a couple sitting permanently behind the pits.

I voted for option 3, as i do not intend on killing every car that i own and as an example my brother has over 300 cars and all are out of the box and all are driven and he will never sell them! out of those 300 odd only 2 cars have a mirror missing.

All of mine are curretly in boxes as i have no cabinet (building new house) but when i have moved in the cars will be coming out and into a cabinet....

My opinion is if you buy a car and keep it , regardless if driven or not your a collector...

Because this is my first post and its not in the welcome section..

Hello all <_<

As per the above post here is my collection of cars that are all unboxed and all get a run..

Including the full set of Scalextric Mustang and Camaro's, Ninco club car's etc..

Plus to Mention the ltd Mannimal built car's.

img1358ib1.jpg

Edited by scrivy

Heya Scrivy

I would say welcome aboard, but you've been hiding out for nearly a year going by your profile..............

nice collection of karts there........

actually, I looked and looked at that pic and post....... and then the penny dropped .........

Edited by SlotsNZ

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

I am both a diecast dealer and collector, but of late have sold off a LOT (almost all) of my diecast stuff to get back into what I want to do, which is slot cars. Now the slot cars of today are so much better detailed than those of my youth, I can see a point in collecting them, especially with the deliberate "collector" targeted sets of recent times, but the BIG winning point for me, of slot cars over diecast was that with slot cars, at least you could run them! Diecast just sits on a shelf, and taz all.

Not ever seeing slot cars go around, seems to be wasted. Might as well just buy diecast.

I run my limited edition 5520 of 7000 Scalextric DeWalt TVR quite often, its a beautiful car and runs smooooth as silk. Then, I pack it back in its box. I'm getting a Lotus/Eagle 67 box set soon and you can bet I'll give them some laps! Not thrashed, of course, but raced, hell yes! Taz whart dey foor!

Of course, you can get your diecast down off the shelf or out of the boxes, and then push them around the track, but...you look really really stupid doing it

LIVE LONGER ! DRIVE YOUR SLOT CARS.

BD

Nothing wrong with collecting beautiful slot cars to admire every day forever in mint condition, nice.

Slotitcabinet001.jpg

Yer and of course I race em, thrash em, destroy em. So in 5 years time do I have a version to look at? No!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by aussieslotter

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Nothing wrong with collecting beautiful slot cars to admire every day forever in mint condition, nice.

Slotitcabinet001.jpg

Yer and of course I race em, thrash em, destroy em. So in 5 years time do I have a version to look at? No!!!!!!!!!!!!

That cabinet looks like it has been through a massive drought from when I first saw it a year or two ago. :nice:

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Yes Mel I only collect Slot.its now. Sold most of my others off.

I have a few of them. Just thought it might have been full again by now :nice:

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

OK, I have always looked at slot cars as a hobby that is best enjoyed by cracking open the box, taking the car of the plinth & putting in on the track to see how it goes.

While I do understand how collecting older cars can be fun (I have a few older F1's that I would like to get track worthy again...), I could never quite understand why you would buy new ones in copious amounts (creating your own collectors market a bit quicker then what would happen normally I suppose?), just to have them in the cupboard, never to see light of day.

Maybe I am in the outer, so, its time to let the stats speak for themselves. Are you a collector, or are you a racer?

These posts have been very interesting so here’s my two cents worth…………………..

I wasn’t sure which box to tick with this survey, as at some stage with this hobby I would have been able to tick all five, so I went with the third option (my current trend). Over time I’m sure we would all change our perspective on the hobby as our interests and our disposal income change. It’s funny how you see long time collectors sell their entire collection and focus on racing and vise versa for the newbie racers, who want to start collecting everything to use or sit on the shelf.

I have around thirty cars from my collection that I use and I love the social aspect of racing with fellow sloter’s, but mainly my current interest is as a collector. My goal is get all the early scalextric models from the sixty’s/seventy’s. Not sure if you guys have checked out the price’s for what some of the older cars are going for, but I certainly cant afford outright cash for many of them. So I have been collecting these by mainly attending swap meets by exchanging newer duplicates for the older version’s I require (also some duplicates go on ebay). Currently I do buy a lot of duplicates of current liveries (as you would notice from photo’s I post), I wouldn’t say I buy copious amounts of each, rather two or three of each. I don’t sell/swap cars just to make an outright profit, I do it to get the collection I want and by saving money on the way as some of the newer cars have become quite valuable and some of the older cars have become quite expensive! When you consider what a few of the Australian Limited Edition’s for are going for on ebay, I’d be mad not to buy duplicates for future trading to achieve my collection. I have found that buying multiple cars also has it advantage of cheaper prices from some local shops.

We all have common interests with this hobby, just some do it differently to others.

For those of you that have a weak stomach for seeing duplicates livieries in others collections, you don’t want to view my next photo’s I post as I have cracked passed the 100 mark for slot.it :nice: :o

That’s my fifty cents worth.

Clevo

Edited by Cleveland

Resized to 83% (was 1006 x 146) - Click image to enlarge

I'm not posting a picture of how my cars are stored for fear of creating a heart attack or two. They are all thrown into a few drawers on top of each other. Shelf queens? NO WAY!

May the downforce be with you.