Are You A Collector Or A Racer

hoffy

Are you a Collector or a Racer  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to collect slot cars (never to be used), or do you prefer them to be used regularly on the track?

• I buy to collect only - I look at it as in investment & for future trading
    • I like the look, so shelf queens are my go
    • I like collecting, but I also like to do some laps. Not really competitive, but its nice to see how they go
    • I usually by 2 or more of each. One to sit on the self. One to be thrashed
    • I am a racer man! Once I have finished with a slotcar, it looks like its done 1000 laps at Paramatter Speedway

OK, I have always looked at slot cars as a hobby that is best enjoyed by cracking open the box, taking the car of the plinth & putting in on the track to see how it goes.

While I do understand how collecting older cars can be fun (I have a few older F1's that I would like to get track worthy again...), I could never quite understand why you would buy new ones in copious amounts (creating your own collectors market a bit quicker then what would happen normally I suppose?), just to have them in the cupboard, never to see light of day.

Maybe I am in the outer, so, its time to let the stats speak for themselves. Are you a collector, or are you a racer?

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

Not another Bl##dy poll from you, Hoffy

Your in the wrong game Mate

you should ring Roy Morgan or somebody like that and see if they have an opening for you!!!!!!!

I voted for the last option though I do have a couple of Shelfies and some I like to give a run on a quiet Sunday afternoon at home, they usually have skinny tires and fat old blokes in a puddin' basin helmet steering them though

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Voted racer, but there needs ot be another option mate.

One for "mainly racer, but I buy the odd shelf queen of something that I reeaaaaalllly like, or might want to have another of later if/when/once I've wrecked this one"

Case in point. I bought 2 of the SCX Renault Alpine A110 . . . but only one each of most stuff like my V8 Supercars and NASCOW, likewise only one of the new Ninco Jag XK120 Ecosse, as I have a few liveries, and about 5 XK120s in total....so shelf queen not really important, whereas there may never be another livery of that SCX Renault at the rate SCX are going with their releases and product availability worldwide, letalone getting stuff down-under to their ozzie distributor. - (I had to buy mine in USA)

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I voted for option 3, as i do not intend on killing every car that i own and as an example my brother has over 300 cars and all are out of the box and all are driven and he will never sell them! out of those 300 odd only 2 cars have a mirror missing.

All of mine are curretly in boxes as i have no cabinet (building new house) but when i have moved in the cars will be coming out and into a cabinet....

My opinion is if you buy a car and keep it , regardless if driven or not your a collector...

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

I have the same opinion as Davnic, all cars should be driven, some maybe sunday racing and others full comp, but what is the point of a shelf car having a motor if it is not driven? that is why I collect 1/18 cars they are my shelf queens! ;)

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

guess this is me -

"I like collecting, but I also like to do some laps. Not really competitive, but its nice to see how they go"

I am with slotsNZ needs another option

maybe something like

"I like to drive all my cars, race them sometimes, but I also collect cars of a specific model/s."

I buy cars that I like the look of, I am collecting GT40s but I like to drive them all - I enjoy working on the cars to tweak them and get better performance out of them...in saying that I have 1 shelf queen 917k C53 - but will probably trade it one day for something I want that I can drive

cheers

DM

I love to race 'em, love to look at them. i don't enjoy my favourites skidding along on their roof, but if you want to be competitive, occasionally the limits are exceeded. I have a couple of 'shelf queens', but these cars do run, just not in competition.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Reading posts got me thinking. I guess my cars fall into several categories.

1. I have three cars currently sitting on the shelf. Each is a replica of cars I raced and destroyed in the late sixties and these hold memories from that era. 2. Like others here I have a number of cars which are 'raced' carefully ie alongside other drivers who drive competitively within their limits. 3. Then there are two or three cars I race competitively with whoever is around. 4. I also have half a dozen cars (mainly V8's) which I allow other people to drive (race) on my home circuit. These are used by visitors on an almost weekly basis and some of the a group of friends who come round monthly. Some of this latter group are beginning to buy their own cars so we raced on two basic categories - shared cars, and run what you brung.

As with many of you, none of the options fit me really.

I have a good selection of cars purely for racing - about 30, changes as the classes change.

I have many others just for doing casual laps, and non competitive racing - guessing at 150.

I also have many shelf queens and boxed sets, 120+.

Then I have those with SSD chips fitted - about 50.

So for some cars, I had a digital version, a racing version and another sitting on the shelf - not many fall into this category, but a few do.

My only shelf queen at the moment is also a 917k, this one.

99074.jpg

I can't ever seem to get 917's to go well, but, boy is it a great looking car.

Oh well, this will soon be sold or traded i think.

I do like that one I have the orange #1 and the #18 Yellow one as well - which I do drive sometimes - found a solid front axle and new tyres helped heaps in getting them going a little bit better -

bit of tweaking and they go alright

cheers

DM

I'm another one that doesn't have a specific niche (I'm guessing this may change the longer I get into this)

My stable (note not a collection have been pure racers ought to suit a class), I guess now its time to start buying more for looks.

But if it has an electric motor, wheels and a guide the its meant to runs laps either in fun or in anger.

btw espsix, if you want to get rid of the 917k, Ill take it...

Edited by gah5

Cheers

Glenn

..........but my growing collection of 1/32nd have still to touch a track ... need to get my router going ;)

Cheers

Richard

shame on you Richard......get thee out to the garage

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

My only shelf queen at the moment is also a 917k, this one.

99074.jpg

I can't ever seem to get 917's to go well, but, boy is it a great looking car.

Oh well, this will soon be sold or traded i think.

I do like that one I have the orange #1 and the #18 Yellow one as well - which I do drive sometimes - found a solid front axle and new tyres helped heaps in getting them going a little bit better -

bit of tweaking and they go alright

cheers

DM

Of all my FLY classics, my (only) 917 ex a Fastkit, was the single most stubborn brute, and the only one which I couldn't get running right with its original parts. I'm convinced it had a rear axle made out of flexible tubing..........so I surrendered my will and my pride and replaced the back end with a SIKK05 .. I think is the number ... Slot.it "kit" and now it sounds like a sewing machine, and runs like a cut cat ....

Gentleman

It's interisting to read your views,and realy you are all right.If it gives you pleasure collecting or racing we all still have one thing in common,the love of cars and modelling.I have over 500 cars ( I would have at least 150 cars race ready to suit various classes we run) and race every thing from Original Scalextric Auto Unions (we run historic races with a handicap so no matter what car you have new or old they race equally) to DTM ,Sorts cars (The classes we run are based on the CAMS class structure,so every car has has it's place)

Some I love to look at and keep in their box , ( like mint boxed Scalextric Race Tuned Auto Unions x 2 white and yellow ,Fly Lemans Camera cars and some quirky cars)others it's the joy of engineering a fast race car.

The good thing is we discuss all aspects of this Sport/Hobby and share handy tips ,dispence advice when asked.

It's difficult to catorigise in this poll but I will have to go for answer number 4 .

Yours in racing/collecting

Chesterdred

..........but my growing collection of 1/32nd have still to touch a track ... need to get my router going ;)

shame on you Richard......get thee out to the garage

Yer, I know, but I finished my HO routed track, and the days have been short and cold in the garage since.

IMGP1852.jpg

I've even got a rough plan made:

http://routedtrack.hobby-site.com/?file=scx.html

And summer will be here soon ... ;)

Cheers

Richard