Gold Coast Kiwi Raceway

Paul NZ

Hi all

Thought I would start a new Topic since I finially got my plan sorted that I will use and a name for the track (bit of a mouthful but it resembles the Gold coast indy 300 track and I'm a Kiwi so there you have it)

Went to Bunnings this arvo and picked up a few bits and pieces to make a start, next post I hope to have the boxing done on the three sections and the track drawn out on the wood.

Here is the plan (anti clockwise)

crct_116.jpg

3 Lane start finish followed by the first chicane (the track drops from 3 lanes to 2 from here) then down a fairly fast section before two 90 bends followed by another chicane then down the back straight @ 2.5m in length (this is where the waterfront is) then through the esses and into a sharp over 90 bend then another chicane and on to the haipin (inside radius is 150mm then each lane is 75mm apart leaving 150mm for the tail to hang out to the edge of the track) most of the lane spacing onthe track will be 100mm so 1/24 cars can run on it, I thought of squeezes but there will be enough carnage with lane changing. LC's will be added as I go and what looks best, I have drawn some on the plan but these may change, an example is the one one at the end of the back straight will be 400mm long, so changing at top speed should be ok.

This is where it all starts, bare wood

Picture027.jpg

update soon ^_^

Edited by Paul NZ

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Router is not far away now.......I have drawn the track out on the boards and just doing the boxing underneath at the moment.

Scenery will be a while down the track but it will have a modern Indy theme, beach, meter maids etc, not sure about the blackhawk though???

I intend to get camera happy as they start to put the track together from this month on, some of the best shots I have got are from V8 Supercars 3 on the PS2, I just drive around slowly (lossing the race of corse) and get some great shots of the track layout and the grandstands etc its 3D so you just move the car to get adifferent angle, watch out for the other cars though B)

will post some pics tonight :lol:

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

The sand blowing onto the track will be a bitch!

Phil

:lol::D:huh::D

Together with all the sign writing in other languages and tourist junk :lol: :lol: :lol:B)

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Lets hope that it will not be windy this year then as according to the Media this will be the last time the indy cars will come to AUS, and maybe an end to the Gold Coast circuit, which will be a shame.

Edited by Paul NZ

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

I've been busy with the track over the past couple of days so here is what we have so far

The track boards with the track drawn out, boxing copmplete and routing complete on the first, the other two will get routed tomorrow, then I will join them together to make the final routed sections where the boards meet so it all lines up

Picture005-1.jpg

Here is my jig for the corners, works a treat.

Picture006-1.jpg

note the $40 router from Super Cheap Auto, from the sale table, it is a great little router and I have done all the routing on the slowest speed it goes really well.

The esses

Picture007.jpg

and a close up with a few cars in the slots

Picture008.jpg

another angle of the track

Picture011-1.jpg

One of the curved lane changes compared to an SSD one, note the smoother and larger radius and this curve is over 90deg.

Picture012-1.jpg

thats all for now, more routing tomorrow and another update if I get it done

Cheers B)

Edited by Paul NZ

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Have you had a chance to go to Indy? I can't wait for you to do the scenery. I expect to see 20-storey apartment blocks with bare-chested female homies and Army Blackhawks carry cardboard signs saying "show us yer t!ts" B):huh::lol:

I wanna see that too!!! ROFL!

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Have you had a chance to go to Indy? I can't wait for you to do the scenery. I expect to see 20-storey apartment blocks with bare-chested female homies and Army Blackhawks carry cardboard signs saying "show us yer t!ts" B):huh::lol:

I wanna see that too!!! ROFL!

Think we all do!

You must be up in the hills some where with that earth bank in the garage.

FS

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

You must be up in the hills some where with that earth bank in the garage.

FS

Yip, this is my construction area behindthe Gararge, house is above. The track will live in the garage once done, this is why I have done it in three sections, so I can stand the sections up out of the way when not in use.

B)

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

coming along nicely Paul, and I think the lane changing on your routed curve is going to work so much better than the standard Scaly method - look forward to seeing progress.

I'm wondering if you bought a job lot of those Scaly 'FromA' 956's, see you have one on the track, and didn't you use another as the base to repaint your Kenwood livery also on the track?

I'm wondering if you bought a job lot of those Scaly 'FromA' 956's, see you have one on the track, and didn't you use another as the base to repaint your Kenwood livery also on the track?

Hi mike, I have a few Porsche 956/962's I like the shape, although I only have one FromA left now. I have another, a red one I can't think of the name, its Japanese but it will be next to get a makeover.

Edited by Paul NZ

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

A bit of a pictorial detail with the flippers would be nice Paul, as I am wanting to put working pits into my new layout.

P.S. Shane Lott of Viper Valley Raceway has a good thread on his flippers that I have bookmarked.

Normal people worry me

A bit of a pictorial detail with the flippers would be nice Paul, as I am wanting to put working pits into my new layout.

P.S. Shane Lott of Viper Valley Raceway has a good thread on his flippers that I have bookmarked.

Hi Triggy, I plan on taking plenty of shots of the detail work as I go.

Shane made a good job of his pit entry, in fact his entire track is outstanding.

I have not drawn or routed my pits out yet but I plan on doing this on the inside of the three lane section.

Ive been watching your progress with designs, not easy choosing one, I must have drawn up about 10 before settling on this one :)

good luck with the build

:(

Edited by Paul NZ

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

• 1 month later...

A bit of an update.

The digital part of the build has taken most of my time but I have a bit to show so here goes.

1st pic is showing two of the LC's at the North end of the track

Picture302.jpg

Second pic is looking south

Picture303.jpg

Here Ron Harrop leads Craig Lowndes and James Courtney into turn one :o

Picture304.jpg

My Marcos coming out of turn two

Picture305.jpg

Three 962's heading down the back straight into the esses

Picture306.jpg

While Lowndes tries to get on the inside of Courtney the Marcos has a clear run into the last corner

Picture308.jpg

Looks like James will take two places right through the middle

Picture311.jpg

a couple of 1/24 cars, one is a Parma 16D Flexi and the other a 962C Kyosho body on a Plafit Chassis (still to be built)

Picture312-1.jpg

There is plenty of room for the 1/32 cars but racing will be tight with the 1/24 cars, they have about 5 or 6 places that they can pass on the whole track.

I'll get some tape down and the flippers installed next.

Edited by Paul NZ

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Hey Paul, looking good.

Are you going to use one of the big-4 digital systems, or scorpius or something else.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hey Paul, looking good.

Are you going to use one of the big-4 digital systems, or scorpius or something else.

Thanks Slotsnz, I have built the track using Scaley SSD 4 lane PB at this stage, I was waiting for the new 6car PB to be released so I can run the timimng etc on the PC but now Rick is close to his release of Scorpius I will invest in that insead, this will double the cars to 8 on the track, should be interesting ;) also with the 4 pits I will be able to run teams with two cars using one pit lane...its going to be good :o

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

• 3 weeks later...
Mmmmm a routed track

Mmmmmmmmmm a digital routed track.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm a Scorpius routed digital track!

Cant wait to see this baby on Youtube!

Getting close Rick

I have all the lanes working, three LC's working, done a few laps with a couple of tuned V8's and I have to say that even though the track is still very slippery (Gloss top coat) the cars are really smooth on the track, if you look at the plan the two 90's on the right are increadibly fast if you go from out to in to out again (may be a bit of luck but I got those angles spot on! :blink:

I need to get a dS3800 power supply next (waiting for one to come on sale as they always do) I can then get the power to the track more reliably, this will also suit Scorpius.

I have also been toying around with using a horn relay instead of the peco switch, it is 12V @ 30Amps, and it has a good spring return, I plan to power one way and spring return. The SSD signal board operates it ok on the bench so I plan to mount it all on one of the track LC's and do a bit of testing.

Once I get my hands on the Scorpius system I will have a great track that will bring a few racers to my door...thats the plan anyway.

But first I have to finish packing as we are moving house in a couple of weeks(only up the road), but good news is that there is plenty of room in the Gararge for the track and a bar, this will also bring the people I would imagine :blink:

keep watching, I will post a few pictures of some of my handy work soon. B)

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

• 1 month later...

Update: I have not had much time lately between work and moving house but have managed to get the copper tape down, three of the five LC's are working and I have started doing a few barriers.

At the moment I am running all the wiring under the board and securing it nice and neat, then I will hook up the two remaining LC's, flippers are in just have to fit the electrics.

I have had a few test drives in both 2 lane anologue and in digital mode and it has turned out to be a very technical track to drive, should be interestintg with a few cars racing at once, can't wait really :lol:

overall track layout

Picture330.jpg

The tightest part of the track, hard on the brakes then back on the gas for this set of curves!

Picture334.jpg

Start / Finish straight, pits are stil work in progress, flippers are made but will not be operational until Scorpius is used (soon I hope).

Picture328.jpg

Entering pit lane

Picture322.jpg

Exiting pit lane

Picture321.jpg

This is a really fast cset or curves, if you go out to in then back out you can nearly hold full power, a real drivers section leading into the back straight where you can take cars if they get it wrong.

Picture332.jpg

more work and more updates to come...stay tuned, better still call in and have a drive!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09