Down Under Rally Proxy 2008/2009

hmcsat

Anyone out there interested in another Rally Proxy for the Spring/Summer 08/09??

I am in the process of building a single lane road/rally track which should end up at 16m squashed into 2.4 x 1.8.

I guess the rules would be pretty much the same as last year but perhaps some would like to change the allowed cars.

Last rally proxy seemed to be well enjoyed by all so lets see if there is any interest again.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll definitely be a runner, and maybe even a host if i get the shed and track built (shed builder is now two weeks late).

Once we see interest I guess we can discuss cars, but something along the lines of WRC from 1973 to 1979 I think) would be interesting, this would cover an interesting era of cars and gives a diverse range of models.

Last years event ran really well and I think enjoyed by all.

I'll definitely be a runner, and maybe even a host if i get the shed and track built (shed builder is now two weeks late).

Once we see interest I guess we can discuss cars, but something along the lines of WRC from 1973 to 1979 I think) would be interesting, this would cover an interesting era of cars and gives a diverse range of models.

Last years event ran really well and I think enjoyed by all.

I'll be in. My problems a little different. Shed's up, run out of funds! :lol:

Stu

Old racers race harder

I've never built a rally car up - and given I'm running about at the back of the proxy and thoroughly amused at that I don't see why I can't run about at the back of a rally proxy!

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

I'll give it a go

You'd give anything a go!

Then again so will I!

Car & track

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Hi all,

As last years organiser of the Auslot Rally event I feel the way it ran and the cars entered worked really well as an event. Judging by the responses and comments last year during and after the event, I feel most of you agreed.

Thanks to Hmscat for putting your hand up to organise and run the event this year, would have been nice to have been asked first if i had anything planned or any thoughts about it before launching off in a different direction.

To be honest, most of the cars listed in the earlier category on the poll,I feel, would not drive well on tight twisty rally tracks without a bunch of motor down grades. I guess thats why its a poll. Thats my rant over.

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

Hey guys good to hear the rally proxy is still an interest. I'm in with car but not sure of track as yet as still rebuilding Minto Park Raceway.The rally track is still a flat board but on a frame and hinged to the wall. As for the type of rallycar I'm in for the WRC cars.Have'nt really run any oldstyle or targa cars so I'd prefer to run what I know.

Triggy not having a go here but my opinion is it would have to be a rally track first with the option of a road circuit if there wasn't enough tracks put up, I know there isn't many rally tracks kicking around.May have to get my finger out . Hey STU do a bit more O/T :):)

Cheers Craig

Craig

"You can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

Hi all,

As last years organiser of the Auslot Rally event I feel the way it ran and the cars entered worked really well as an event. Judging by the responses and comments last year during and after the event, I feel most of you agreed.

Thanks to Hmscat for putting your hand up to organise and run the event this year, would have been nice to have been asked first if i had anything planned or any thoughts about it before launching off in a different direction.

To be honest, most of the cars listed in the earlier category on the poll,I feel, would not drive well on tight twisty rally tracks without a bunch of motor down grades. I guess thats why its a poll. Thats my rant over.

Phoeno I dont know that Hmscat was putting up his hand to run the show I think he just wanted to find out who was interested in having another one I believe that you did an excellent job last year and I would be most happy if you are prepared to go again.

This is great guys, after last years event I've been hanging for it since! Was my first proxy and loved it. Missed the DUPR as I ran out of time get my car made and entered.

Good poll on the other thread and should get discussion going. I've got something like 30 rally cars from 1970 to present so if you want I can post some pics of various cars to give a better idea of what can be looked at. I can group them in the era's of rally racing as well ie the production based cars up to about 1980 (I think), the hot hatches that were four wheel drive of the 80's and the WRC class cars from the 90's (rough guesses, need to check detail).

The big thing learnt from last year is that hot motors don't give an advantage, in fact the opposite. Whether they are 4wd or not does not matter, as long as they don't blow themselves out of the slot with too much speed (remember a NC1 won last year). The event could be broken into 2wd, 4wd and overall champion.

Also, it may be possible to get a set of decals of rally boards of "Auslot rally 2008/09" to be put on each entry?

Gotta get my shed and track built. :)

RE: Triggy not having a go here but my opinion is it would have to be a rally track first with the option of a road circuit if there wasn't enough tracks put up

Triggy you could paint the road surface brown ? Naa that wouldn't work but you could put platicine or blue tack down to simulate bumpy bits :)

RE: Triggy not having a go here but my opinion is it would have to be a rally track first with the option of a road circuit if there wasn't enough tracks put up

Triggy you could paint the road surface brown ? Naa that wouldn't work but you could put platicine or blue tack down to simulate bumpy bits :)

Or he could throw a handful of dirt at it too. :)

Stu

Old racers race harder

My road circuit will stay as is. I know from comments last year that specific rally circuits were preffered, which is fine with me. But I did have fun hosting it last year, and running it in the reverse direction for 2 heats, certainly did give it the tarmac rally feel to drive. The option is still there to use my track if required.

Craig, not all rally series are run on dirt.

Normal people worry me

I think similar to what we did last year that all available tracks are presented and after we have 10 or more "paid up" entrants they (and only they) vote on the tracks. Simple and fair but divide with a pro rata of entrants v's track location (states/area)

I agree not all rallys are on the tarmac but they are not speedways either.

My new "rally X" 65m track will be 1/3 "bitumen" and 2/3 "dirt"

This may or maynot appeal to the entrants votes.

What ever is decided I think the tracks should be tight and different to a traditional racing circuit.

Thats my 5 cents worth

Onya guys

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

the type of rally track it is, whether 'dirt' or 'tarmac' doesn't matter, the fact is a rally track in slot form is a tight twisty in concept, with little or no straights longer than 2m and lots of hairpins and mostly, is single lane. Lets get a bit closer to the event and see how many of these tracks exists before the call goes out for the 2 laners.

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

So Mel ..... does that mean that your track is up and running, or are you still enjoying your retirement

My track is still operational, even though i haven run it since last years proxy, planing on ripping the tape off the bridge section (10 mtrs) and replacing it with the braid left over from building the new road track ..... only take a day or so

I think we should stick with the modern WRC cars for the moment ..... easier to get and to setup and a better chance for newbie's to join in without to many problems

Here's last years results

Round8ResultsFinal3.jpg

Which gives a good indication of which setup works

4 of the 5 SCX cars were proper 4wd as was Hmcsat's hybrid Subaru, which could of taken 2nd (blame Lav's driving for that :lol: )

The Ninco cars, although claiming to run 4wd, run only bands from rear wheels to the front ...... some cars did not run these bands making them only 2wd.

Tyres ...... most cars opted for MJK's or just the standard Ninco ...... the top 6 ran MJK's

Motors ..... for all around drive ability and smoothness, you can't go past the NC-1

Here's Craig's NC-1 powered Pug doing a fast lap on my track

th_CraigPeugeotMyTrack.jpg

The idea of last years event was to try and inspire a few more rally specific single lane tracks to be built for this type of event ...... they don't have to be huge, just a 8' x 4' board is enough ...... we've had a few built, we just have to find out who has them and as Phoeno said, see if we have enough before we go to the speed tracks!

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Its funny you should say that....but all of a sudden I have been thinking a rally track, to be setup when my 4 laner is pulled down.....mind you, I would be going a tarmac rally type (thinking Monaco)

But, as Triggy will say, I have to finish my pitlane first!

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg