Cheap Tricks

BMR

No Worries Rosco, and welcome back, was wondering if it was same Rosco with different login.

It wasn't actually that long ago, I think within the past year.

Hmmmm Grant... seems years ago to me.... but so does yesterday.... don't retire, you simply don't have spare time.

Get what you want to do done before you retire... if not, you won't.... from the experience of one who has been chasing the clock for 10 years in retirement... blasted thing runs twice as fast as it ever did when I was working... and I seem to have lost a day a week as well.... never get done in any one day what I plan to before making a start.... hence the loss of the 8th day.....

frats,

Rosco

Was meaning the post re mini camera was within the last year, but nice to know your still around.

Thanks fella's...... yep - exactly what I had in mind..... so, I need not suggest anyone re-invent the wheel then....

$200 - by golly, that's an awful lot cheaper than what we pay for r/c aircraft.... it might be an option for me to persue..... I know I'd get a lot out of doing some hot laps, that I would not otherwise subject myself to in a 1:1 scale...

frats,

Rosco

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a cheap trick I use to make body mounts.

A straw from Maccas filled with resin.

49876145566_d44ed4fd66_z_d.jpg

Cut longer than the desired length, drill a hole in it for the screw, screw to chassis, test fit to body and cut bit by bit to the desired ride height.

Once the desired ride height is achieved I put a drop of superglue onto the resin and set the chassis/body correctly.

Leave the superglue to dry, remove the screws then strengthen the body post with 5 minute Aruldite, never had one break yet.

cheers

Matt

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I decided to modify a Slot.it CH07 wood guide, mimicking the new system that Slot.it are using for their stock screw fit guide. 1.5mm holes drilled in the front of the guide, 3mm long M2 grub screws into those holes, with the braid now mounted against the grubs, and the lead wire wedged behind the braid, so it can’t get cut by the grub screw. A nice secure mounting method, and easy to do

2023-05-30 13-23-38.jpeg

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Looks good, I did exactly the same thing when I first entered the Tasman Cup proxy series - you won't regret it.

The only thing I might suggest is NOT to solder the end of the leads. 

Whenever you solder a lead, the weakest point is just behind the solder.... I had one break off - and it was exactly there where it broke... since then, I simply twist the lead and use the M2 to hold it firmly nipped up against the braid - no failures since.

frats,

Rosco

• Like 1

yep, likewise Roscoe, I pare back the insulation about double the amount needed, twist, then double it over and fit sideways, unsoldered, so it is like a hook inside the guide, flat against the braid - makes it even less likely to pull out when the braid is pinned by the grub..

• Like 2

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 3 weeks later...

EUREKA - I am ashamed to say it took me 6 tyres and 8 days to remember the other way to coat tyres to make them “zero grip” when the superglue won’t go hard in bad weather (yes I tried accelerator - at least the Tamiya brush on version)

Dug into a drawer and found the bottle of black nail polish I scored from daughter about 10 years back….. still a thickish liquid. One tyre done, hard in 30 minutes, next one coated and slowly revolving as it sets.

And while I am here, just nicked Matt’s picture above. Not only are these tubes useful for body posts, I cut some short sections and glued them to a 3D chassis between the pod and chassis rails,  to make guide wire routers, to tidily channel the wires to the motors. 
Not my idea, I saw how neatly ChrisGuyW has done this on some car builds.

49876145566_d44ed4fd66_z_d.jpg

It worked a treat on my Alfa build.
2023-06-25 18-33-39.jpeg
A responsible, tidy builder would have dismantled the chassis, used longer sticks, and sprayed the lot black ……. but that is “that other guy” :lol:

5 hours ago, SlotsNZ said:

EUREKA - I am ashamed to say it took me 6 tyres and 8 days to remember the other way to coat tyres to make them “zero grip” when the superglue won’t go hard in bad weather (yes I tried accelerator - at least the Tamiya brush on version)

Dug into a drawer and found the bottle of black nail polish I scored from daughter about 10 years back….. still a thickish liquid. One tyre done, hard in 30 minutes, next one coated and slowly revolving as it sets.

Acetone can be used to 'thin' nail polish....