terry

At Last A Track At Terrys

@Terry - hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread.

@knoath - in my track thread you can see a finished use of faux fur - brilliant! But I've never seen a how to until I picked up Model Railroader Jan 2009 with an article about Bona Vista Railroad which has a great website:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gerryleone/trains.htm

Dig deep, there is lots of great stuff.

This bit gave me inspiration. The trick he uses is to glue it upside-down, cut with a razor and thin afterward to remove excess.

"Reproduced without permission":

fauxfur.jpg

@Terry - hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread.

@knoath - in my track thread you can see a finished use of faux fur - brilliant! But I've never seen a how to until I picked up Model Railroader Jan 2009 with an article about Bona Vista Railroad which has a great website:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gerryleone/trains.htm

Dig deep, there is lots of great stuff.

This bit gave me inspiration. The trick he uses is to glue it upside-down, cut with a razor and thin afterward to remove excess.

"Reproduced without permission":

fauxfur.jpg

Don't worry about that hijacking thing,the more info on how to's the better.

Terry

I used a container with some holes in the top to shake the woodlands "grass" onto the hills after I coated the hills in thinned PVA. I also mixed several colours of "grass" together. You can colour saw dust for grass but I found that too much work. Like making trees,I simply brough mine from Ebay.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

I used a container with some holes in the top to shake the woodlands "grass" onto the hills after I coated the hills in thinned PVA. I also mixed several colours of "grass" together. You can colour saw dust for grass but I found that too much work. Like making trees,I simply brough mine from Ebay.

I'm constantly amazed at some peoples ingenuity to create,some of the methods and ideas are truly inspiring,but for me its too long winded and its much easier to bite the bullet and get it through ebay or some local supplier.

You really have to admire some of these guys work though,gives us mere mortals lots of inspiration.

Terry

Got some more rock walls finished this afternoon,in fact I've finished doing rock walls,all done!

Pretty happy with the results so far and I found the plaster cloth method good especially as I had a fairly "random" approach to the landscaping,this being the first time I have done this,so its' been a fairly steep learning curve.

Now I'm still waiting for the pigment and till that comes I'm stuck,apart from a lick of paint on the gantry.

rocksfinished7309.jpg

westendrocksfinished7309.jpg

thecutting7309.jpg

So without paint all I can do is get back onto the track and cut some laps!

Bugger.

Terry

Nice work Terry

I'm getting close to doing the same on my track, where did you get the cloth from?

Paul,

in Newcastle there are a couple of decent sized hobby shops,both did not have the bandage,but I eventually got mine from a smallish shop who do a lot of model train stuff,and he got it in for me,the rolls are about 5m long 200mm wide,costs here about $7.50 per roll,I think I used about 8 rolls all up,and lots of newspaper and aluminium insect wire to support the work in the beginning(cheap)

Terry

Hey Terry,

The track is looking really good. As Phil mentioned earlier it also looks like a commercial track I used to race at in Shepparton in the 80's.

What depth did you have the shoulders cut to for the braid to sit flush with the surface?

Well done,

Steve

Hey Terry,

The track is looking really good. As Phil mentioned earlier it also looks like a commercial track I used to race at in Shepparton in the 80's.

What depth did you have the shoulders cut to for the braid to sit flush with the surface?

Well done,

Steve

Hi Steve,thanks for those kind words,the rebate for the braid was set at 45 thou(I think).

Terry

Braid varies in thickness so you should get the braid before cutting the recess,mine was only 35 thou.

Yes of course you are right Phil,I agonised over the rebate depth for ages,have I got it right,yes,no,maybe,oh bugger.....my big fear was getting the depth all wrong.

In the end it was all good but I was very nervous up till the time I got the sections all done (I did get a small test section done first though).I would have died had the braid height been all wrong.

Have learnt lots since the build started,one thing I would pass on is that if you decide to use the 3M tape from Armchair,as I did,be absolutely sure you do not put any stretch into the braid,especially in corners,I was pretty sure that I did not do that but in 1 section I must have put too much stretch into the braid and I have had some lifting in this 1 corner,the best way to describe the laying of the tape is to just "lay" the braid into place,then apply downward pressure,otherwise the reversable tape is good,my next track will be much easier(??)

Tomorrow I get my "rock" paint ,so landscape painting will be able to begin.

Terry

Terry, when you layed the braid, did you push it back on itself (loosening the strands) as you went through the corners?

I want to use copper braid on the 3M tape for my next track and was just wondering...

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Terry, when you layed the braid, did you push it back on itself (loosening the strands) as you went through the corners?

I want to use copper braid on the 3M tape for my next track and was just wondering...

Dick,

When i layed my braid i didn't stretch or push it back on it's self, reason being it will allway's try and return to it's natural state and because the tape is not an instant bond, the braid has time to move around.

You will find if it's pushed back it will eventually ride up on the edge of the recess (not to much but enough to look crap ), happened to me on 1 lane.

Edited by Davnic74

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

What dave has said is pretty much as I found it,the less "working"of the braid the better.

Terry

3 Years later Terry, about time you put up some pics of the finished product eh? ;)

Regards

Rob

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1886.jpg

I think the track is 4.5x1.6 total lap length is 16.5 metres best lap 3.9sec, standard non mag NC1 type set up around 5 sec.

Is that photo good enough Rob?Thanks to your very generous help,the track still provides lots of fun and some great racing.

Terry

Edited by terry

That looks great Terry, glad to hear its getting good use.

Regards

Rob

Good to hear from you Rob,are you racing or still taking the sabatical?

Terry

still studying/Sabatical, but im reading Auslot a bit more lately so I guess the interest is coming back. When I have more time in a month I will dust down the track and run a few laps.

Regards

Rob