Mt Icering

Yngwie

Gday guys. I thought I would start another thread about someone starting a routed track. Well here it is. It is 5.4m by 2m in size and three lane, 100mm spacing. I really love the construction part of the process so I thought I would inflict some more torture upon myself. I am building it Luf Style in a box to keep the weight down. The order is all screwed up but you get the idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27439455@N03/?saved=1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the idea with teh boxes? I don't think I've seen it.

Looks like a fun layout - except.. why have 2 bridges? makes the lanes uneven like an oval again. Have one three or none ?

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Good start, look forward to seeing it all come together

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Eno, the boxes are similar to how Luf builds his tracks (on the video at least). I wanted to make it light to transport out of the wa. The gap you see in the middle of the box will be filled in later so it really is one great big box.

The 2 lane changes was not might preferred idea but my 2 boys thought it would look cool. The track really is a ripoff of the Champion on www.bradstracks.com but my two young fellas felt it better we dont copy someone elses work so the second bridge was put in there. Funny really because they thought how cool it would look to have a circular sweeper and all I though about was how much extra work this was going to be.

Will keep posting progress shots as I go.

Regards

Lav, you read my mind. Actually, I was thinking of banking all the turns but only a little and the big one a little more. Anyone tried that sandy type grit they put in paving paint to make the surface more grippy. I was thinking of trying this with chalkboard paint.

" Anyone tried that sandy type grit they put in paving paint to make the surface more grippy. "

Dont bother, unless you are building a rally track, which you are not.

Grit will not give better grip.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

If you're after grip, I believe that interior semi-gloss will do the job... Ferrodor has many small particles that don't produce a flat surface... therefore your tyres are only gripping the tops of the bumps.

The St. Enoch (light grey) seems the best to achieve grip out of the Ferrodor range... talk to gref, he has it on his 4 laner.

It looks great though... if you're after a road look (Bridge Grey)

Edited by knoath

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Ok.Thanks for the info Munter. Anybody in Sydney got any Ferrodor they might want to sell me as I have been quoted a lead time of 2-3 weeks for it from my local Dulux trade store.

PM me with your email address

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Ok.Thanks for the info Munter. Anybody in Sydney got any Ferrodor they might want to sell me as I have been quoted a lead time of 2-3 weeks for it from my local Dulux trade store.

PM me with your email address

What about chalkboard paint? Heaps of grip, doesn't damage the cars and is very easy to touch up. Cheap too and readily available at Bunnings.

Just a quick update. Met one of the slotters here finally. Thanks Mel, was great to put a face to the name. (Thanks for the ferrodor and brush). Thought I would post an update of what I have been doing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27439455@N03/2580146358/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27439455@N03/2579316587/

By the way, how do you guys post images to this forum rather than just links to them. Do you have to convert to gif format for it to work?

Regards

No Jpeg is fine, just place them where they will be hosted as you have. When typing a reply you will see a series of buttons just above.

If you click the 4th from the right (insert image) in the second row it will open a dialog box for you to add the url of your image click ok and you done.

Regards

Rob

Just a quick update. Met one of the slotters here finally. Thanks Mel, was great to put a face to the name. (Thanks for the ferrodor and brush). Thought I would post an update of what I have been doing.

By the way, how do you guys post images to this forum rather than just links to them. Do you have to convert to gif format for it to work?

Regards

Yngwie Iwould not use a brush with ferrodor it will leave brush marks on the surface. Try one of those small throw away foam rollers that you can get from Bunnings. Use just enough paint to lightly wet the roller. It will be slow but you will get a smooth surface with plenty of grip.

Cheers A9X

I dont think there is any differance in the Ferrodor range except the color.. i used a hardish foam roller(not spongey) and i had a veeeery flat surface with no peaks and i used the bridge grey version.

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Regards

Yngwie Iwould not use a brush with ferrodor it will leave brush marks on the surface. Try one of those small throw away foam rollers that you can get from Bunnings. Use just enough paint to lightly wet the roller. It will be slow but you will get a smooth surface with plenty of grip.

Cheers A9X

I read knoaths thread and he mentioned the Ferrodor rolled on left the track a little coarse. Is this right knoath?

I believe a brush is best. They leave a better film build and rollers will often leave a fine to medium "orange peel" finish.

An incorrect brush and brushing methods will leave brush marks or if you have the paint too thick. Just using the last 2-5 mm of the tip of the brush to lay off (in a back hand motion) will give you the perfect finish. Thats why painters often roll a door then lay off with a brush.

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

I believe a brush is best. They leave a better film build and rollers will often leave a fine to medium "orange peel" finish.

An incorrect brush and brushing methods will leave brush marks or if you have the paint too thick. Just using the last 2-5 mm of the tip of the brush to lay off (in a back hand motion) will give you the perfect finish. Thats why painters often roll a door then lay off with a brush.

Thanks Mel. I was always going to brush it on as per your advice. Will post pics once I do some more.

Yes, I rolled 2 coats... fairly thick too. This may be why I've got a rough surface. It doesn't seem to tear up the paint work too much though, not as much as you'd think after feeling the surface. I used the said 'throw away foam roller from Bunnings' (about 3mm nap)

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

I also used a foam roller with 2 coats, The rollers were the high density foam type. I think some of the variation from surface to surface is also due to how well you mix the ferrodore in the first place.

Regards

Rob

I rollered all of my track and used a brush to touch up,the brushed surface is no where near as good,even being very carefull.

Phil

We have to remember Ferrodor is a protective coating and is designed to protect steel from moisture (then rust) and is meant to be applied almost twice as thick than most paint coatings. To achieve a smooth coating for tracks the product does need to be adjusted and applied a little differently.

Hopefully Boslot will come into this discussion as he achieves a brilliant finish with a brush.

Whilst the product can be thinned with mineral turps I find the General Purpose Thinner (as sold by Supercheap) a little sharper and will help the paint flow a lot better. Thin up to 15%.

If you have too much paint on the brush when laying off it is hard to eliminate the "ploughed paddock" look. Wipe excess paint off the bristles then lay off. For that ultra smooth finish dip the tip of the brush into the thinners you are using and then very lightly "lay off".

There is more than enough texture in the Ferrodor without adding a "roller nap" finish.

The latest success that Boslot has achieved was one coat of Cabots Crystal Clear applied over the top of the Ferrodor.

This is a water based polyurethane and the Ferrodor will need at least 7 days curing (after the last coat) before applying.

For those still wanting to roll the paint on their track, Bunnings sell a small 75mm (approx) Craft Type roller. It comes in a blister pack with its own small clear plastic paint tray. It is about 30 - 40mm in dia and has a white very short fabric nap - not foam.

Phew - Feel like I'm back at work!

Edited by Ontheflipside

Hey Yngwie

Looking Good

Do you realise the double crossover results in uneven lane lengths in this case yellow will be longer than green

It not a broblem when racing but can be hard when messing around with some mates

Dont worry about copying others if you didnt have the second crossover it would be a kingleman which is a pretty standard design copied many times over

I have found that there is only about 3 different basic layouts with variations to them and if you look at every design thay will fall into about 3 different basic designs

On the ferrodore debate I think that brushed is the way to go as it looks great, provided plenty of grip and allows for a smooth predictable slide

On the rolled tracks (that I have driven) the cars seem to chatter when in a slide

Are you going to use magna braid?

IMHO ferrodore is the surface to use if you are going to primarily run non magnet, if you are going to run magnets I think there are better options

Cheers Pete

Keep it in the groove

Pete

Hey Yngwie

Looking Good

Do you realise the double crossover results in uneven lane lengths in this case yellow will be longer than green

It not a broblem when racing but can be hard when messing around with some mates

Dont worry about copying others if you didnt have the second crossover it would be a kingleman which is a pretty standard design copied many times over

I have found that there is only about 3 different basic layouts with variations to them and if you look at every design thay will fall into about 3 different basic designs

On the ferrodore debate I think that brushed is the way to go as it looks great, provided plenty of grip and allows for a smooth predictable slide

On the rolled tracks (that I have driven) the cars seem to chatter when in a slide

Are you going to use magna braid?

IMHO ferrodore is the surface to use if you are going to primarily run non magnet, if you are going to run magnets I think there are better options

Cheers Pete

Thanks Pete. Yeah I realised that I would have uneven lengths but with lane rotation I didnt really mind. I was going to use braid but I am sort of in a hurry as it is my youngest sones brithday this Saturday and he has looked up at me many times with the hopeful expression, "Dad, will we be able to play slot cars on our new track for my birthday?". So the rush is sort of on but I dont want to rush it and make mistakes.

Thanks for all your advice. I think I will go with Mel and Pete and use a brush as I have had a look at Bo's track and it has come really well.