Outsiders

gref

I have been asked by Peter (MR) about "outsiders" racing with us at MR rounds. I said that we don't allow extras as it throws out the whole race setup (mainly time). Also and the fact racing against outsiders may result in lost points/positions due to being taken out etc in race. Maybe we should have some sort of system where interested racers post their interest and if we have vacant positions, they could be considered to join in (no points)??

The main factor is numbers, 16 would have to be a max on numbers at MR as it would just take too long to get through all heats with anymore

Nathan and I got home at roughly 3am after round 1!

If you got and opinion (V32) voice it! Pete wants to know how we all feel about it.

Off the top of my head, and extra racers would be in B heat and nominate their lane last.

I do know Ian of Ballarat is interested in coming to MR and joining the club, but that depends on member opinions!

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davnic wasn't allowed to race and he was able to commit to about 6+ rounds, one of which was the round at MR so why should we allow one offs that we will never see again.

It seemed to have been made very clear at the start of the year that you have to be a part of V32 to race at the V32 rounds.

It wouldn't happen at Ged's and as you said Peter might have to put on breakfast for us Sunday morning.

Corporate greed is driving inflation.

Cash, use it or lose it.  No Digital Currency, No Digital ID.

I have been asked by Peter (MR) about "outsiders" racing with us at MR rounds. I said that we don't allow extras as it throws out the whole race setup (mainly time). Also and the fact racing against outsiders may result in lost points/positions due to being taken out etc in race. Maybe we should have some sort of system where interested racers post their interest and if we have vacant positions, they could be considered to join in (no points)??

The main factor is numbers, 16 would have to be a max on numbers at MR as it would just take too long to get through all heats with anymore

If you got and opinion (V32) voice it! Pete wants to know how we all feel about it.

Off the top of my head, and extra racers would be in B heat and nominate their lane last.

I do know Ian of Ballarat is interested in coming to MR and joining the club, but that depends on member opinions!

Some advice here fellas from someone who has been doing this a long time now. If you begin to discourage, not allow etc outsiders who may also be newbies to slot cars or relocated slot racers from further afield or some old hand from days gone by or even an out of state visitor from here on Auslot then you are in danger of becoming or seen to be elitist. This in turn may have the effect of turning away someone from EVER wanting to be part of your race group when you begin to struggle for numbers at race meetings in the future and struggle you will. All clubs go through the peaks and troughs of club membership and even though you may not think so now having healthy numbers each meeting things will change, they always do. Even worse, your actions in this regard may turn potential club members not only away from YOUR race group but also away from slot cars altogether.

So my advice for those who care to think long term about your race group and it's reputation. Manage your race nights better. If your running over time or late try earlier start times. Shorter races or less classes, whatever it takes to keep all those factors that need to be positive, positive such as encouraging new people or even friendly visitors from interstate to feel like they had a great time with you all. Who knows, there's a place up here called Queensland that is known to have it's fair share of Victorian tourists and guess what? We have club tracks up here too. At Q32 we openly invite and welcome all interstaters to let us know of their intended visits and even work if not our calenders around them, then at least start times, and then these can be arranged in an effort to help visitors feel part of preceedings. It doesn't always happen. It doesn't always work out either but we always try and make room for everyone, regulars or not. And lets never forget, you can NEVER have too many marshalls.

Here endith the lesson. Now, lets play!

Edited by Perro

Some advice here fellas from someone who has been doing this a long time now. If you begin to discourage, not allow etc outsiders who may also be newbies to slot cars or relocated slot racers from further afield or some old hand from days gone by or even an out of state visitor from here on Auslot then you are in danger of becoming or seen to be elitist. This in turn may have the effect of turning away someone from EVER wanting to be part of your race group when you begin to struggle for numbers at race meetings in the future and struggle you will. All clubs go through the peaks and troughs of club membership and even though you may not think so now having healthy numbers each meeting things will change, they always do. Even worse, your actions in this regard may turn potential club members not only away from YOUR race group but also away from slot cars altogether.

So my advice for those who care to think long term about your race group and it's reputation. Manage your race nights better. If your running over time or late try earlier start times. Shorter races or less classes, whatever it takes to keep all those factors that need to be positive, positive such as encouraging new people or even friendly visitors from interstate to feel like they had a great time with you all. Who knows, there's a place up here called Queensland that is known to have it's fair share of Victorian tourists and guess what? We have club tracks up here too. At Q32 we openly invite and welcome all interstaters to let us know of their intended visits and even work if not our calenders around them, then at least start times, and then these can be arranged in an effort to help visitors feel part of preceedings. It doesn't always happen. It doesn't always work out either but we always try and make room for everyone, regulars or not. And lets never forget, you can NEVER have too many marshalls.

Here endith the lesson. Now, lets play!

Well said Perro, I should add that numbers only effect the way rounds are run at commercial venues. As they are not flexible with start times etc, we can't have more than 16 at an MR round as it would more than likely push it to a 4am finish! Round 1 at MR took nearly 7 hours to get through and that was less than 16 (A and B heats) so more would be silly.

I do agree however that if we don't get confirmation from existing members, then their position can be filled by an interested racer. Home rounds are host dependant - depends on whether the host can or wants to have extras there. My place I don't mind who shows up!

regards

Shane

I have an opinion. Yes it means we have to have a fixed number for events.

It's the sameargument I was using as when this was isolationist stuff was first mooted as possible problems during the year.

1. If we want to invite someone (as per Ian and Davenic) in let them play. The invite to a round should be done on the hush PM through the comittee though - we tell them & they allow people..

2. If we have a guest from OS blah blah.. same as above but first on the list. Please try to treat Interstate the smae.

3. All outsiders are thoroughly included and are racing for points under all the same rules.

4. If you can't beat the guests you can't complain.. too slow man.. they're the Massa of the race teams.. or the Nelsinho Piquet..

Edited by Eno the Wonderdog

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Simple view is to look at the long term - if you want to grow then let them race.

Points problem is not an issue cos as all races are distance based then whats so hard about including one offs cos they will not effect anything other than length of events. they just dont get points towards championship. If you ran fixed lap heats then yes there is a problem.

If numbers grow then run only two classes.

Whilst I agree with the 16 number cos it seems to work well but dont see it as a golden rule.

An open/public forum is not the place for this - it should be dicussed by V32 as a group off line where more robust comments can be made and explained cos you could end up coming across as a pack of dills rather than elitists if done in public.

If you dont allow 'outsiders' and some current members stop how do you maintain numbers? A waiting list like the MCG??

Let the buggers in so long as the rules for cars are enforced.

If time is a hassle then get rid of qualifying and use current championship positions to sort out "A" and "B" heats.

If i remember rightly, we used up quite a lot of time qualifying, I'd agree with MtP above

An open/public forum is not the place for this - it should be dicussed by V32 as a group off line where more robust comments can be made

Let's chat about this at MR...

Knoath, waiting til the event might be a 'little' late for discussion.

I think I said it before, but I can't see a problem with allowing 'guest's' to run, and i guess then we have the ability to cater for 16, (it takes no more time to run 9 as it does 16)

Cheers

Glenn

I really don't care too much, I mean, I like turning up to as many rounds as I can get to, (all last year) and I plan to get to them all this year.

I don't mind having others join us, as long as we can cater for everyone, what's the fuss?

the bottom line was that " i would have to commit to the whole season" a bit hypocritial

I would have thought that with all those cars, you'd need to attend as many races in a year just to drive them all once, Dave!!! <_<

Edited by knoath

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

I would have thought that with all those cars, you'd need to attend as many races in a year just to drive them all once, Dave!!! :nice:

:lol: You got me

I tryed before the V32 season started and got shot down <_<. i was a liability (taking people out).

Edited by Davnic74

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

I would have thought that with all those cars, you'd need to attend as many races in a year just to drive them all once, Dave!!! :lol:

:lol: You got me

I tryed before the V32 season started and got shot down :whip2:. i was a liability (taking people out).

Too right you'd be a liability Dave.. you'd be getting in the way as I try to launch my car at the 'leaders'!! :lol:

I like the idea of just bunging people on according to the place in the championship. We don't do this "Qualifying" bit anywhere else & we didn't have any way of doing it previously. From this year on I think we need to continue the practice of no qually and go on the spot in the championship. If we book MR first we go on last year.

I knew this one would come back. That's why I argued so strongly about trying to find a way to invite others.

AASTES SAID: (he edited)

Simple view is to look at the long term - if you want to grow then let them race.

Whilst I agree with the 16 number cos it seems to work well but dont see it as a golden rule.

If you dont allow 'outsiders' and some current members stop how do you maintain numbers? A waiting list like the MCG??

Let the buggers in so long as the rules for cars are enforced.

And I said " HEAR HEAR!!" Or I would have if I hadn't typed it! :D

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

I have pondered this for a while , if you have the same people year after year, believe it or not the racing can get stale, the introduction of new racers should be welcomed , the only hold back is the maximum numbers attending at track owners residence ( which should be capped by the track owner), often some of the members cannot attend anyway , we have also lost 2 regular racers from last year

but how to nominate who is allowed to attend and who is not ?

sax

I think it's easy Sax. although it's probably a total change of the known universe.

We need to have 'social' days where peeps can come along and we can all find out if we all get on. As and where we need more people for the "Title" racing we can invite people we really like along by blind ballot.. although perhaps we all have a black & white ball.. and wear one trouser leg up.. and a tool belt.. and bring a goat..

Here's some more "long term" stuff I've been thinking of.

I'd like to see a meeting every three weeks.

I'm also coming to think that I'd prefer that we maybe do a full class over three rounds so that each race weekend you would have

Round one of (Something new)

Round two of (Something new last week) and

Round three & deciding race of (Something) as we roll through the season.

The would mean a title in a particular class is won and lost over the space of 6 weeks. That's possibly about as far as many people can commit in reality. For example I'm suddenly driving the stepson about a lot on racedays 'cause he decided to do the school play. I had no idea it was gonna happen and said "yeah sure I'm coming every week" until reality intervened.

There can still be a full season champion though for those guys that can make all rounds. Perhaps as we could drop rounds currently people can drop classes? Each end is a wedge class - easy to figure out - hard to describe.

Edited by Eno the Wonderdog

Hi guys, I am very interested in at least attending, if not racing, to just introduce myself and maybe see what goes on from there. Happy to just sit back and watch for a bit if need be. Ian

If you can get down to MR (Dandenong) next round with Moe and hopefully gref, that'd be sweet.

I'm not against welcoming new blokes in, but we need to be able to cater for everyone who wants to be a part of it and turn up to a round.... what if we end up with 15, even 20?

We had 17 at Ged's last year, that went on for ever!!!!

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

If you can get down to MR (Dandenong) next round with Moe and hopefully gref, that'd be sweet.

I plan to be there, I may be hobbling, but wanna race!!

regards

Shane

Hi guys, I am very interested in at least attending, if not racing, to just introduce myself and maybe see what goes on from there. Happy to just sit back and watch for a bit if need be. Ian

Rock up - if need be I'll step down for the night.

I havent an issue with new people comming along experienced newbies or once off guests, as said above it will ensure the longevity of the V32. As long as the is room to cater for the number wanting to race the more the merrier.

Regards

Rob

Fella's, I know I am interstate but I will comment if you don't mind. If you keep growing, which you will when discussing on a public forum, maybe you need an A and B group racing different nights when the numbers exceed a certain level. Winners of B group go up to A and losers of A go down to B. How you would implement something like this is up to you guys of course. Just a thought.

Could I also come one day.

Not sure for the whole year, as I play on the 1:1 race tracks as well,

but to put faces with the names, and also to see how how it al goes.

Cheers

Pitlane3

"If one does not fail at times,

then one has not challenged himself."

Ferdinand Porsche