Track I Bought Off Ebay Wooden Copper Tape

10 replies to this topic

#1 passlow

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:21 AM

:haha: i have a wooden 3 lane track i bought off ebay the magnets dont work in the cars as it only runs on copper tape i new to this stuff so what is the best way to get some grip on this track so its more user friendly

paslow

#2 slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:49 AM

Welcome to Auslot.

What surface is the track?

Usually with non-magnet cars, we add a bit of weight down low, to help improve traction.
:haha:
Steve K.

#3 cliffy

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

View Postpasslow, on May 12 2008, 09:21 AM, said:

:haha: i have a wooden 3 lane track i bought off ebay the magnets dont work in the cars as it only runs on copper tape i new to this stuff so what is the best way to get some grip on this track so its more user friendly

paslow

True the wheels, check for straight axles by rolling on glass, true tyres, glue motors and bearings, check bearing fit, sand and paint front tyres with nailpolish, then ad weight to stop front push, or rear sliding, time cars while doing this, go from back to front as the car pushes or slides, do this until the car goes slower, not faster....

phew, this is a VERY quick rundown on preparing a car for racing.... :sleep2:

Then there's painting the track with roofing paint, Ferrodor doesn't have glass in it...the rest do, the glass stuff is great for truing tyres.

#4 Ontheflipside

IQ test result - Negative :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

View Postcliffy, on May 12 2008, 01:11 PM, said:

Then there's painting the track with roofing paint, Ferrodor doesn't have glass in it...the rest do, the glass stuff is great for truing tyres.

:haha: :sleep2: ???????? :o :o :D
I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

#5 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

The way Ferrodore stuffed my router bit I would think that you could true tyres on it!

Phil

#6 cliffy

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

View Postkalbfellp, on May 12 2008, 02:16 PM, said:

The way Ferrodore stuffed my router bit I would think that you could true tyres on it!

Phil

True Phil, but I have never routed through it I just paint it over the track after it's routed. Ferrodor does true tyres up but not as quickly as the glass based stuff, no where near as quickly.

#7 Eno the Wonderdog

Woof Woof and erm.. Bark

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:16 PM

Looking forward to seeing the track.

A good thing is to give it a good hoovering first - get all the "marbles" off it - then just start cracking laps on all the lanes. After a busy afternoon's racing with the boys the track seriously starts to rubber in just like the 'real thing' and you'll be getting better times.

Get an after market tyre like the MJK's for some more grip. A bit of wight in the bottom is supposed to be good.

Probably the easiest way if dealing with Noobies er, Rookies is to turn the voltage down a little (I go down to about 9 first with Ferrodore) and build it up over the course of the session.
Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

#8 dangermouse

Triple Crown Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:33 PM

View Postpasslow, on May 12 2008, 09:21 AM, said:

:D i have a wooden 3 lane track i bought off ebay the magnets dont work in the cars as it only runs on copper tape i new to this stuff so what is the best way to get some grip on this track so its more user friendly

I have found the best thing to improve the grip on my routed track was to change the tyres - I am using urethane tyres that I make myself - the change in grip and smoother running is excellent - cost me about $60 to get the silicone and moulds and I have made moulds and tyres for about 22 different cars - and have made over 50 pairs of tyres and I have silicone for moulds and urethane for the tyres left over.

search the forum here there are some threads by folks who make their own tyres (I started out in slot cars September last year)

cheers
DM

I posted a couple of movies showing the difference between standard and silicone tyres let me know if you want a link to them

#9 xr8

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:39 PM

Hi Kade it's Dale. Go down to the chemist and buy a bottle of methyl saliycate and put it on the rear tyres with an earbud do a couple of laps and redo and the car will have heaps of grip !!! :D
RUBBINS RACING SO HARDEN UP

#10 AzZa

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:53 PM

View Postxr8, on May 12 2008, 06:39 PM, said:

Hi Kade it's Dale. Go down to the chemist and buy a bottle of methyl saliycate and put it on the rear tyres with an earbud do a couple of laps and redo and the car will have heaps of grip !!! B)

The above works a charm or why not paint the track with the saliycate hahahaha (or just buy some silicone tyres)

#11 Cadabra

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

I was having a similar problem on a test track i had, I sprayed Belt grip onto a piece of rag wiped around each corner and that really sorted it out. As i say it was just a test track only used for a very short time so not sure of any long term effects, cleans off with a wipe with Metho.
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY / GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users