Home Made Tyres

phoeno29

Hey Pete,

100:18 mix? Man I never heard of it. Doesn't sound like the 'Smooth-On' product I use....unless its something else in their range. What's its durometer value?

Cheers

Hey Longbeach

Sorry mate I should have told you it isn't a smooth on product

Its a barnes casting product

They checked out the specks on the reoflex and recommended me somthing from their range but it only came it 2 litre packs so I tried different product from their range its an A40 shore urethane rubber

Anyhow now I know the moulds work I might get some reoflex sent over from WA

I just need to work out what I can use this stuff for hmmmmm anyone need a few 1000 tyres for crash barriers? :D red white or black :P

Keep it in the groove

Pete

heyo,

i had a go at making tyres also, i used barnes pro-cast silicon moulding rubber for both mold and tyres,

tires were sticky for a week (i think its too much dye, it must really slow down the hardening proceess) i only added the tiniest drop, but even that must have been too much. (they said in the shop u only need the tinyest amount, guess they weren't kidding. :D

must say though, its hard getting the correct mixture when your only mix up a little bit, even with digital scales. These chemicals are funny, only a small difference in ratio has a pretty big effect on properties (such as drying time :P )

cya

Rene.

Hey Rene

How did the silicon tyres work? did you dye them Black?

I havnet had any problem with the silicon it has dried properly so far

As for too much black what has thrown me is that the tyres I made without tint in them still came out of the mould sticky and I am waiting to see if they dry

I was super carefull weighing the parts so it should have been right

Oh well so are they joys of experimenting :)

Keep it in the groove

Pete

Aaaah... at the risk of being boring and repetitive, the obvious advantages of the smooth on liquid rubber is that

1. you don't have to buy 2 litres of the stuff.

2. Its 50:50 mix, and my experience has been you dont need digital scales etc - spot-on isn't so important at this ratio.

3. If you use the oomo 30 silicone for the tyre molds, the tyres dont need any sort of release agent, rubber and silicone don't stick together when setting.

Cheers

http://www.users.bigpond.com/garang/

The Best Damn Brewery in Australia. The Best Damn Brewers too.

And they drive some pretty mean slotcars...

The Steam Exchange Brewery

Aaaah... at the risk of being boring and repetitive, the obvious advantages of the smooth on liquid rubber is that

1. you don't have to buy 2 litres of the stuff.

2. Its 50:50 mix, and my experience has been you dont need digital scales etc - spot-on isn't so important at this ratio.

3. If you use the oomo 30 silicone for the tyre molds, the tyres dont need any sort of release agent, rubber and silicone don't stick together when setting.

Cheers

Hey Longbeach

Can I ask did you try many products before the smooth on stuff or did you just ace it by using the smooth on stuff first :P

looks like I'll be ordering a box of rubber from WA

I should have listend to you in the first place :D

Keep it in the groove

Pete

How did the silicon tyres work? did you dye them Black?

heyo,

yes i dyed them black, i think the black dye was half my problem :D they didn't work, after i literally tore them out of the mould the tyres were too badly damaged to use, as were the moulds.

the tyres now are not sticky (several weeks after the moulding) but are too streatchy and soft to have on the car. might be better if it was a high profile tyre, or harder silicon . i haven't done any more, and i dont think i will either, i'll just cough up the $6 for a pair of indy grips and save myself the headache :P

cya

Rene.

An unmodified car is like a blank sheet of paper, aching to be drawn on.

Ren's 3 lane routed track with analogue pits and 2 car sudden death.

Hi Pete,

Did I try any other products? Nope. I just spent #@%*^& hours and hours on the 'net looking for solutions. Smooth-on products was my best research result/return. From their site I went to Rowe Trading in Adelaide (the closest stocker to me) and a sales bloke called Fred had these disks of rubber on a chain. I squeezed them each in turn and finally said 'that's the one I want for tyres, gimmee the smallest kit you got'.

So, yup, basically I aced it from the start. Or sort of. I first started with shore-A 30 duro, which was too soft for 1/24th scale model racing, went too harder rubber, then back, as it works better when its aged a bit.

Its now called 'reoflex' BTW, website: http://www.rowetrading.com.au/smooth/smo_urc_rus.htm

Incidentally if anyone is wondering, I'm just trying to get fellow slot heads to get into it more by making their own stuff and not relying on corporations....I have absolutely no affiliations to smooth-on or Rowe trading etc etc just trying to help.

Cheers!

http://www.users.bigpond.com/garang/

The Best Damn Brewery in Australia. The Best Damn Brewers too.

And they drive some pretty mean slotcars...

The Steam Exchange Brewery

Incidentally if anyone is wondering, I'm just trying to get fellow slot heads to get into it more by making their own stuff and not relying on corporations....I have absolutely no affiliations to smooth-on or Rowe trading etc etc just trying to help.

Cheers!

Hey Longbeach

I never even thought you might be affilliated with smooth on just another slot nutter with a need to make stuff

Thanks for passing on your knowledge as I am really enjoying fooling around with the moulding stuff and thinking of projects I can use it for

I'm planning to get the kids at school designing their own chess sets and casting their own pieces which should be a good learning expeirince

I'm also working on a pland to build cheap 1/24 scale solts from toys availiable at the $2 shop

I hoping we can make a mould which with cast tyres straight onto the toy rims so I can use 1 std diameter mould for all of the different toys and not need to make new mould for each toy

Its all in the name of education ;) no really it is :)

And Rene your going to save yourself the hassle :o this from the guy who was going to lay multiple rows of solder around his track :(

Keep it in the groove

Pete

• 7 years later...

Perhaps we should rename it the Lazarus Thread!

Wow, funny reading back over stuff I wrote 8 years ago.

Forum moderators please note - LongBeach of old = Gareth Andrews now. Maybe there's a way to remove the corpse and hide the evidence...

My absolute apologies but in the intervening time of 8 years I've moved house (3 times) and had a couple of kids and run a small business, upgraded computers (lost count), internet service providers and email addresses, it was simply easier to log-on as a new member than try to work out how on earth to unlock the old one. Couldn't remember the password and the old email address affiliated with the username had ceased to exist.

No skulduggery intended. Heck I even managed to find in my pictures file the Salzburg Porsche pic again to try and help with continuity.

And of course, my old Longbeach track which I sold years go has now found a new home in Lobethal.

Some things don't change though. I still like to see slotters build things from scratch at a fraction of the price it costs to buy some brand label - like tyres for instance!

RePete I hope things went well at school all those years ago?

Cheers!

Gareth