KarKraft

Fairmont Park

Great work there KK ;) , are they Chocolate picnic's holding up the sign? :lol:

Bastard! :huh: That's the one bit I don't like. I tried to make foam pillars and coat them in fishpond gravel. You're right, by the time I painted them they looked like chocolate bars!

Ghost, they are MRRC figures from a site sponsor - Armchair Racer. They were $15 for 10 figures, but his stock varies.

Great work there KK :huh: , are they Chocolate picnic's holding up the sign? :)

Bastard! :lol: That's the one bit I don't like. I tried to make foam pillars and coat them in fishpond gravel. You're right, by the time I painted them they looked like chocolate bars!

Ghost, they are MRRC figures from a site sponsor - Armchair Racer. They were $15 for 10 figures, but his stock varies.

Hi there KK,

I thought your Mc Philly Park gate are great.

Anr from the the edge of the track they look pretty good.

just like they are 1:1.

IMG_7951.jpg

"If one does not fail at times,

then one has not challenged himself."

Ferdinand Porsche

Thanks Christian!

Once again, in my minds eye I thought they were something like what I made, but looking back at pictures of the real thing, it would have taken a long time to replicate that. Not impossible, but time consuming. I feeling like keeping going with what I'm doing and putting the finishing touches later. Things such as railings, fences, trees, stands will come in the next phase.

DSCF0474.JPG

I like this one the best..... :lol: Looks really nice.. :lol:

"When you're racing, it's life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting"

Thanks Datto! (hey I am intrigued by your constantly changing avatar. Do they belong to a series?)

And just for Dick, here is how I did the grass on the inside of the track.

Starting with a plastered and painted surface, dropping pva where thought I wanted tussocks. On the track you can see the tan coloured faux fur trimmed to the shape of the area I wanted to handle at this spot.

DSCF0438.JPG

Place faux fur upside down on the spots and press into the glue. Too much pressure and the fur fibres will mat together, too little and when you go to lift it the fur will pull away.

DSCF0440.JPG

After the glue has dried for at least 24hrs, trim the base away with you favourite, sharpest blade. Don't lift it too vigourously or it will peel away, plaster and all.

DSCF0443.JPG

That should then leave little fluff balls behind. You might prefer to leave them like this, as some of the train guys do for long grass, but I was looking for a weedy look.

DSCF0449.JPG

So here they are after using a fine model paint brush to clump the fur togther with acrylic paint. Sometimes they need a bit of massaging, flattening them with the wet brush and lifting and separating the clumps with a needle or skewer. That will pull out some fibres and it will make strands stick out. After they dried overnight, I gave most of them a hair-cut with scissors to get them back to a realistic size.

DSCF0459.JPG

That looked very much like desert scrub, so I wanted longer grass around them. First step was to paint pva on the bare areas and add Streugras fibres with a puffer bottle. The fibres are very fine and I found I had a dry cough every time I used the puffer, which is a bit alarming. So I started to wear a twin strap dust mask and no more coughing. The puffer bottle is meant to cause static between the fibres to make them stand up/apart. I then topped it with various bits of scenic foliage to add variety. It then looked like I had too many brown tussocks, so I painted some of them green to imitate old and new growth and it looked better. Then I sprayed diluted pva over the lot to hold it down. Once it was dry I gave it another hair-cut as it gets messy and cob-webby. A quick vacuum to pick up the loose bit and here it is:

DSCF0475.JPG

Edited by KarKraft

Thanks Datto! (hey I am intrigued by your constantly changing avatar. Do they belong to a series?)

Yes these one's are from a series, Kate Donovan is her name. She does retro pinup style stuff... :lol:

Nice "how to' on the scenery by the way, very informative... :lol:

Edited by datto16

"When you're racing, it's life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting"

Yes these one's are from a series, Kate Donovan is her name. She does retro pinup style stuff... :lol:

Nice "how to' on the scenery by the way, very informative... :lol:

I really liked the one of the girl on the Honda scooter.

I should also have added that "no Fauxs suffered in the making of the scenery"

I really liked the one of the girl on the Honda scooter.

I should also have added that "no Fauxs suffered in the making of the scenery"

The girl on the scooter was painted by Vic Elvgren sometime in the 50's from memory, he painted mainly pinup's back in the day when "naughty" photography was not the done thing. His work mainly featured in the mens magazine's of the time...

Kate is doing her stuff now (photo's), but doing it in the style of the old painted "pinup" girls....

"Pin up" and it's history is sort of my "other" hobby... :lol:

Nice disclaimer..... :lol::lol:

I really only know Vargas. I think he did the cover of a Cars album. Was it Candy-O? Can't remember...

Correct on both counts, the model's name for the reference photo was coincidently Candy also...... :lol:

Vargas was very good, but to me he "stylised" the models too much, Elvgren painted them how he saw them....

I some images with the original reference photo next to the painting and there is very little difference...

I dont have alot of Vargs work, but Elvgren and Kate I have heaps of if your'e interested... :lol:

Edited by datto16

Hier ist der $5 puffer:

579_5_IMG_1641_1.jpg

Und der grass:

noch-grasmaster2.jpg

It can be applied with one of these which costs about $100 (edited - looking round the price varies wildly in Australia from $100 to $300! Maybe Dangermouse can comment on train stuff) I think and does a much better job.

Noch-grasmaster.jpg

They can also be hand made if you know what you are doing with 240v :lol:

Edited by KarKraft

Here are my Esses:

Well done again KarKraft.

Have to say the best scenery work I can remember on this forum.

One of these days . . . . :lol:

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Love your work KK, great how-to, great pics... thank you.

After the glue has dried for at least 24hrs, trim the base away with you favourite, sharpest blade. Don't lift it too vigourously or it will peel away, plaster and all.

Thanks for the warning! I wondered if the PVA would be strong enough to hold it after I saw the way it fell apart when the Spotlight Sheila (official title!! :lol: ) cut it to length for me...

After this shot:

DSCF0438.JPG

I think I'll need to brush it on for the effect I want!

Thanks KK... this how-to's gone a l-o-n-g way to help me!

Cheers mate!

Keep 'em coming!

Dick

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Thanks guys!

Dick, you must be going for the 'waving wheat' look of Oklahoma? I'll assume you'll be doing trials? Post them in the Grass Trials thread.

How will you make transitions from other textures to the grass? My concern would be that unless you can develop some 'randomness' to break up the uniformity, it will look like some kind of farmer's crop.

Ain't Spotlight a diferent world? My mum is a regular there in her local store. Now she has my daughter roaming the aisles. For a guy to go in there, its almost like buying condoms. I'll have three packets of chewy, a bottle of coke, oh and 1 metre of faux fur :lol:

Edited by KarKraft

He he he... I think the Spotlight Sheila (official title!!) thought I was sunburnt, when I asked for the Faux fur !!!Still, they've got a wonderfull array of fine fabrics... :blink::P

My Mum's in her 70's and could tell you where everything is, aisle by aisle! :rolleyes:

I will post any trials... to be sure.

I'm hoping to capture this look... well, I hope to...

124877045_b3ede3ca31.jpg

166275713DcLCXC_fs.jpg

Yeah, I know... BIG ask!

Thanks for your work so far Brett, I know it can be a pain to get out there and stuff around in the hope you come up with something good..., mate, you've come up with something GROUSE!!!!

'Nuff said!

Cheers mate,

Dick

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

I will post any trials... to be sure.

I'm hoping to capture this look... well, I hope to...

124877045_b3ede3ca31.jpg

166275713DcLCXC_fs.jpg

So you're building a rally track now Dick??? :rolleyes:

Normal people worry me

No Triggy, it's a 'Scenic Country Road Loop'...

So it's a test track not a race track then?......... are you scared to drive fast anymore?

Normal people worry me

I've never been known to drive fast... take a look at the V32 results so far!

No, I just reckon the track will see a few (at best) race nights, the rest of the year will see it used for setting up cars (something I can't do now as I don't have a track) and playing with scenery (my brother's into model railroads) and I'd like to get into that (scenery) side of things, but you just can't race trains.... I reckon this track could see some good racing, it just won't be a 'race track' as such, you know, sponsors signs on walls etc.... going for a 60's-70's theme.

Think Lobethal, SA!

Sorry KK... I've stolen your thread... back to you.

Edited by knoath

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

nice photos KK - bet that is the only time the 908 is in front of the Alfa :rolleyes: -

sorry I haven't seen one of those static grass applicators - I usually apply a puff bottle or pinch and then I have a hand held vac with a clean bag in it to suck up the extra stuff which doesn't stick - you can also get those small vacs designed to vacuum computer keyboards

cheers

DM

Hurry up with your trials Dick. Im doing a very similar theme myself with the country roads. Mine is more like this

039.jpg

Lucky I live here cause its very hard to find decent photos